Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys hows it going?

I have not really seen many reviews of the grip control yet. To be honest not looked around to hard. Just wanted to see what people thought of it? I ended up going with the 1.2 VTR so didnt get the grip control.

What do you think of it? Does it work? What conditions have you had to use it in?

·
Registered
217 Posts
this is quite a nice vid showing a 2008 with grip control activated and deactivated in mud. looks like it does make some difference which is nice to know as i will have to take mine for some light off road when i go to the fishing lake and i have got my vectra stuck twice in mud there!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0GuGyP1hQ

for some reason link wont work but if you copy and paste into an address bar it will bring up the video

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Wife swears by the 'Grip Control' since she was by herself & had parked off-road when out for a 5mile run one wet Sunday morning ~ when she got back to the car she found she had parked the car on a slippery muddy patch and until she engaged the 'Muddy' she could not get out of the mud & back onto the road.
She came home singing all the praises of it!
Then again recently she was driving locally to her gym and the road and surrounding fields were completely flooded and most people attending classes there were offered lifts by of the Gym's owners in his 4x4 but he told her you'll be fine as you long as your select your 'Muddy' setting, drive slowly and keep to the left & you will be fine ! (Which she was)!
So my Wife is swearing by the versatility of the 2008 Grip Control and has given here a lot of confidence in poor weather etc

·
Registered
217 Posts
nice to hear some one has had some real life success with it. any one else reading through had chance to use it in anger??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi jonnyg30

I don't know about using it in anger, more about using it in terror :)

I had to negotiate a very muddy and very slippery downhill track in Wales a couple of weekends ago and when I felt the car beginning to slide I decided that I should try the 'Mud' setting on the grip control.Immediately the car became stable and I was able to pull through the slippy stuff and out onto harder ground. I've had the car since early January and this is the first time that I've even turned the grip control knob so was surprised to see a graphic on the centre screen confirming its use! Very happy to have this facility but next time I will apply the setting before I venture into the mud. Incidentally the mud was splashed up both sides of the car up to the door handles so this wasn't just a small patch I had to negotiate.

Steve

Reactions: WhipMama

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did anyone try the 'Sand' setting during the recent sand storm that deposited most of the Saharan desert on my lovely (previously white) 2008??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
Bought mine in May 2016 so not needed to use grip control yet. From your post, Am I correct in understanding then that you can change the grip control setting on the move? No need to stop first to change setting?
Thanks,
Belsane

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI ALL ! someone know if can i install grip control as an option to my new 2008 in my country ? have u any part numbers needed ? unfortunately grip control is not installed in irans 2008 versions ! i can buy the equipment needed and install them , but i dont know equipment that needed for this . any one know that ? in peugeot service box cant find them !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi had to use it on an icy road couldnt get up it, used grip controls an went straight up was very impressed with it. I think its one of those its better to have then not have anything 👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only had to use it once,during "Beast from the East" . Selected snow and ice and it allowed me to sail pass other cars stuck on a slope with heavy snow.
It was a Godsend that day.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hah! Reading through all these comments puts me in mind of a time (back in the mists of time) when we were at Silverstone at a particularly wet F1 meeting. We had our (shame) Ford Anglia (the VERY old sort). After the racing everybody was getting stuck, with their posh sports-cars. We had the last laugh when getting into our old Ford, we just drove out unaided!! Absolutely no need for 'grip control' that day......

·
Registered
7 Posts
An overdue addition to the thread,....we selected a 2008 equiped with Grip Control to replace an old Panda 4x4 diesel. We live in the French Alps and snow, ice and slippy roads are 'normal' road conditions from December to March. The system has worked amazingly well and can be turned on whilst moving at slow speeds consequently it is always ready and on demand. My other half was very reluctant to not get a replacement small 4x4 for the aged Fiat but has also learned to trust the Grip Control system, if only needed a couple of times in your vehicle's period of ownership it is worthwhile.
For us the two nightmare road surface conditions are firstly black-ice (when anything heavy just slides off down the camber or on the bends!) and secondly light fluffy powder-snow that has been rained on (as the temperature rises, for example) that gives a sloppy wet slush soup on top of the snow plus puddles that gather under the snow on the tarmac. I have used our 2008 in both conditions and been hugely reassured by the car's ability to keep calm and get on with traction. (Should I add that 8 to 10% gradients abound too?).
Only 1 downside - please PSA group put the selector on the dash? That little well in front of the handbrake is always silted-up with other stuff,....and you didn't really give us drivers lots of storage space elsewhere!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great write-up FP!

One thing I've found with all of my cars is that it really is the tyres that make the difference.

When I purchased my 2016 2008 in Nov last year I wanted automatic/heated seats/pan roof/grip control (GC). There was only one available in the UK at the time, which now sits on my driveway :)

The selling garage had replaced the front tyres with new 'non-M&S' tyres to get it through it's MOT, as I test drove in damp/freezing conditions I could feel the front wheels slip even with GC engaged.

I advised that they were the wrong tyres and that replacing them with the correct Goodyears would be circa £200, he agreed to knock £100 of the price and have the car delivered to me. in the first week of ownership I changed to the correct 4season fronts and sold the 'old' fronts (with 7mm of tread) for £75...so win...win. No more slippage in wet/icy conditions :D

In all the comparison test I seem to see they seem to compare a grip control car with one without grip control, to my (albeit limited) knowledge cars without GC don't have M&S/All Season rubber, so to my mind it's not a really fair comparison.

My Audi quattro behaves impeccably most of the time, I switched to All season tyres back in 2014 and I could feel it was even more sure-footed than before, I would say by 40% better grip in the cold/wet/icy times. Most comparison tests of an AWD fitted with summer rubber and a 2 wheel drive fitted with winter/all season rubber will see the 2 wheel drive car win when driving on skii slopes etc, which is a far more meaningful comparison.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts