Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on here has had any handbrake issues? Came home today and parked up. Got all kids out then the dog and shopping. 10 minutes later neighbour knocks on door and points out that our car has rolled gently back down the hill and was resting on the front of his car!! Mortified!! Assumed i'd left handbrake off so got in and checked but it was on, but only 2 notches!! I'm just assuming that on a hill the brake must need to be fully raised?? No damage to either car but from now on will be leaving car in gear with handbrake as high as poss!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Always always leave the car in gear never trust a handbrake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ditto, ALWAYS leave your car in gear, or at least 3 clicks on lever ... OR both.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Do all models have disc brakes all round?

It's possible for a handbrake on disc brakes to release partially due to the cooling of the disc.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
When you park the brakes are hot.

You apply the brake and leave the car.

The brakes cool while you're away and that's just enough to release them.

When parking on a slope you should always leave the car in first gear if facing up-hill or in reverse if facing down.

It's also advisable to turn the wheel towards the kerb.

This is more likely to happen with a fully laden car as the suspension is down so the hand brake will be more difficult to pull fully on. When it's un-laden the suspension rises and releases some of the tension on the brake cable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like just my bad habit of not putting car in gear and not being used to a car with discs all round! Makes perfect sense now why the car didn't roll right away but did when brakes cooled!! DOH!!! Lesson learned ˜º

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shades of Citroen Xantia! They were prone to this. However as others suggest, you should always leave the car in gear. Some advocate aim the wheels towards the kerb as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there we have a 2008 Peugeot came back from shopping handbrake, on rolls down hill after 5 minutes its automatic but its doesn't have a park option in gearbox, going back to dealer once back from the body shop, not impressed at all.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I always leave the EGC gear selector in 'A' automatic mode or 'R' reverse as I switch off.

Hand brakes have to be applied very firmly as they lose some grip as they cool after parking.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
273 Posts
As I have posted before the 2008 handbrake lever is very stylish but not that practical . Because of its shape the application tends to be an upward movements of the first two fingers and not the more forceful upward movement of the whole hand as on nearly every other vehicles handbrake. I believe this produces less force on the system. We used to have the same weak handbrake systems when we had the old umbrella handle under dash handbrakes on 60's vehicles such as the Consul. You just couldn't pull them as hard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had today another recall notice about the handbrake saying it might have been wrongly adjusted on manufacture. Contacted the dealer and asked if this was checked as part of the first service in Decemberas per schedule and once again have received no satisfactory reply. They just say that they need to check it again as per recall.This is appalling. What was the point of the service.I think that by and large Peugeot cars are no better or worse than any other make but I thinkthe dealer network is very poor and the back up from the makers to them is terrible,

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
They may have to report to Peugeot that they have responded to the recall rather than just ignoring it and for their own protection they must do the check in accordance with the recall procedure.

They could have been more helpful to you though. I'm quite fortunate with my dealer here in Rugby as they are excellent and it's one of the reasons I went to them again for a new car.....will you be going back to yours?

Al.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No

·
Registered
273 Posts
I should quantify this however. I have had many problems with my car mainly centred around the poor programming of the ECG box as I have reported on the forum at some length .Its just that every time you let them know that you have a problem their first response is that they have never heard of it before. They then go on to make out that your reported fault is not possible ie. you are lying. You point out that many owners of PSA vehicles have had similar problems, are they all delusional. Still no response.If they don't get their act together they will certainly lose more than my meagre custom. The vehicles are basically well designed and built but if they ignore real concerns in the end they will lose much custom and deservedly so. Please let this forum point out the faults of this vehicle as well as its attributes. Personally I am getting fed up of recalls. Modern design and production techniques should have eliminated most of these before they get to the customer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Had my 2008 2 weeks ...No "P" on the gear change ? only the brake to stop it rolling down my drive ?This is VERY Dangerous ,as it slips down my drive into the road ? Normal pressure applied to hold the brake It frightens the life out of my wife (71) Will Peugeot recognise this problem ?????HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Tried putting it in "A" & "R" ??does not stop car rolling ? Pull the handbrake very hard to hold ..Bloody Dangerous without a "P" ..This is a brand new 2008 EGC

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You have to leave the selector setting in 'A' or 'R' whilst the engine is running and then switch off.

Don't move the selector and turn off.

If you select neutral and then turn off it will stay in neutral no matter where you then move the selector.

You have to switch off the engine and remove the key whilst the gear selector is in 'A' or 'R'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We received the re-call letter two days after our new 2008 rolled backwards and into a parked car at the bottom of a residential cul-de-sac. The car was parked on a hill and at the time we assumed we'd incorrectly applied the handbrake.

The car was taken in for 3 hours, the check was done and originally we were told adjustments were made to the rear brake and the handbrake now felt different when applied, as if there was another notch when pulling.

Now the insurance company are refusing to cover our costs and paper work has turned up with a faked signature of my fiance on it suggesting no fault was found.

What on earth are Peugeot and their dealers doing?!!

Has anyone else had an accident that could have been attributed to this recall?

Edited by: hellokingdom

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My daughters VW rolled away and into a wall on one occasion and she swore she had fully applied the hand brake. No fault found at the dealers though. It's a fairly common occurrence when parking on a hill using only the hand brake.

Can't comment on the dealer report but as I mentioned on page 1 :

<t></t><table align="center" style="table-layout: fixed;" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" ="tableborder"=""><t><tr><td valign="top" style="height: 15px;" ="msgoddtabletop"=""> Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 9:41am</td></tr><tr style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;" ="msgoddtablerow"=""><td valign="top" ="msglinedevider"=""> <div ="msg"=""> When you park the brakes are hot.

You apply the brake and leave the car.

The brakes cool while you're away and that's just enough to release them.

When parking on a slope you should always leave the car in first gear if facing up-hill or in reverse if facing down.

It's also advisable to turn the wheel towards the kerb.

This is more likely to happen with a fully laden car as the suspension is down so the hand brake will be more difficult to pull fully on. When it's un-laden the suspension rises and releases some of the tension on the brake cable.

</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fully understand it's entirely possible there was no fault, but faked signatures on paperwork saying we've accepted no fault was found is unacceptable.

I didn't drive the car much before the incident but both my partner and her father swear blind the handbrake felt different after the service. I've no idea if that is simply placebo effect.

It just seems suspect to me that we should suffer the car rolling backwards on a hill my partner had parked on for 10 years without incident, just a few months into owning the car and moments before it was recalled for a check on it's handbrake. That's before you start getting into the issue of a faked signature.

As for your tips, they are noted and we of course take extra care now when parking up.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts