Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">I'm new to a 64 plate 2008. 1.6hdi and I'm trying to get used to all it's functions.

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">I'm scratching my head when it comes to the start - stop the doesn't want to stop!

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">I've been through the extensive manual, and I appre
ciate it won't work when the car is not warmed up / demisting.

When the car has warmed up, I come to a halt, put the car in neutral and hold it on the foot break, the green eco light on the dash, flashes twice but nothing happens and car certainly
doesn'tstop.

The manual says if there is a fault with the system the 'eco off' button below the dash should
illuminate..that hasn't happened. I have pressed the eco off button to disable the system then pressed it again to enable the system just in case resetting it would help, but it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas? I don't want to ring my local dealer and start asking idiot questions! Unfortunately the garage I bought it from is a good hours drive away so they're not easy to ask either.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It probably just has insufficient charge in the battery. Take the car on a decent run, around 10 miles on a fast road and then see whether it stops.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Hazelb,
I thought Stop/Start only comes on if you've put the handbrake on? It's never work with just footbrake on for me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Depends. If its a manual you just need to put the car into neutral. No handbrake required.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Burty's comment is spot on. However sometimes the stop sart doesn't come int operation for various things.... The main one is engine temperature, another is if you are using the sitcom ( this one seems to vary)... There are others but I haven't fully worked them out as SWMBO usually drives the 2008 as I have a DSG Yeti as I need a compact 4x4 with automatic.Edited by: Geoffh

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Somewhere on this forum there is a list of the conditions that might prevent stop start from operating. I can't find that just now. However, it is all listed in the user manual.

Essentially if the eco light on the dash flashes, it means that it wants to go into Stopped mode but won't, normally that means insufficient battery charge.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all you input. I do get the eco mode to flash on the dash. I've done as much forum reading as I can on the subject and as you all suggest...I bet it's the battery!

I've only just bought it and at just over a year old with 7k on the clock, I bet it's done a lot of sitting about.At least it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. When I've had a few good runs to s/s might spring into life!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it's the battery, it should recover after a consistent drive. Wish mine would stop working, because i hate it and sometimes i forget to push the off button lol Today is the first day we had temperatures warmer than -4C and guess what ? it started working immediately as it got to -3C.

Also be sure to have all your doors locked, seatbelt on and foot off the clutch (i bet you had them), as these also cancel the system. It's weird that the green eco light comes on though, like it thinks that it's in stop mode. May be a defect though.

Edited by: alex2jz

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't keep my doors locked (I have switched the auto lock system off) and it still works for me. I must admit that I thought that the handbrake had to be on but I tried it today with the footbrake alone (in neutral) and it worked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bad. Regarding the doors, i meant physically shut :D Because if the system is on (stop mode) and you try to open the door to get out of the car, the engine automatically starts. So if one of the doors, is improperly shut, the system probably doesn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll check the doors, and see what it does after a decent run ( not sure how long a decent run should be! ).
I'm having a few other teething issues with fogging on the inside of the car when it's sitting on the drive......I hope it's not a water leak as I've no idea how helpfully my local dealer will be about that.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
alex2jz said:
If it's the battery, it should recover after a consistent drive. Wish mine would stop working, because i hate it and sometimes i forget to push the off button lol Today is the first day we had temperatures warmer than -4C and guess what ? it started working immediately as it got to -3C.

Also be sure to have all your doors locked, seatbelt on and foot off the clutch (i bet you had them), as these also cancel the system. It's weird that the green eco light comes on though, like it thinks that it's in stop mode. May be a defect though.

I'm curious as to why you hate it? I genuinely cannot fault mine. I do appreciate that in the EGC car the operation is a bit odd and I suspect that would annoy me, but in the manual it's near perfect and I find it quite satisfying to think that when I am stationary I'm not wasting fuel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
burty, i'm not a fan of the concept in general, it's not related exactly to the system on the Peugeot. Although a bit intrusive, it's considered one of the best systems out there. In my case at least, such a system simply won't work as i usually encounter situations where i have to travel bumper to bumper for extended periods and the amount of starting and stopping would be insane and surely not beneficial for either the car or the fuel bill.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had similar concerns initially, but there are no serious mechanical issues around starting and stopping the engine once it is warm, and this is only good for fuel consumption. In my own experience once you get your head around the fact that the engine is not running when the car is stationary it becomes quite unintrusive. Although having crawled in traffic a lot in this car I have often thought that it would be beneficial if the system waited a few seconds before stopping the engine. But for those occasions it is possible to turn the system off.

I will add that my experience is with the manual car only, and the way that the stop start system operates on the egc or automatic cars is different and u this definitely will impact the experience.Edited by: burty

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes on the ECG the engine stops before the car halts,3 or 4 mph I believe, this makes slow speed manoeuvres very difficult and dangerous. You have to take your foot from the foot brake to start the engine. Sometimes the vehicle will 'creep' in which case you need to cover the brake, which if touched stops the engine again. As I live in a relatively rural area and do not now commute in traffic (hooray) the advantages of the system to me are nil so my first action on starting the vehicle is to switch off the stop/start system. I only wish the vehicle had an option to permanently disable it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Guys

See my thread

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/my-dealer-my-stop-start_topic1136.html#.VqqEWJqLTIU

·
Registered
61 Posts
The E-HDI system works differently compared to the one (S&S) used on the new engines (BlueHDi, 1.2 Puretech Turbo). On the E-HDI the engine also stops under a specific speed before the car comes to a comple stop. On the S&S it only stops when the car has come to a complete stop. I find that pretty haunting to be honest, even on a manual, but i believe it's far worse on the ECG, as owners have also stated.

Ideally,the system should have an idle period of 5-10 seconds before shutting off the engine, once you come to a stop. That instant shut off is a killer for me. Another thing that i dislike is that the system WILL work before the engine has reached operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The start and stop system on the manual e-HDi will stop the engine while the car is moving, but it only if you put the car into neutral and lift the clutch. To be honest, it's probably not good practice to be rolling in neutral, and if you do then probably you don't need the engine anyway.

I admit I discovered this soon after taking delivery of my car and I will admit that it's probably not a good habit to have got into. That soon stopped.

Fortunately even with the engine stopped, power steering and brakes still work, as neither rely on engine power (things have moved on these days).

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
398 Posts
Power steering and braking pump are both electric...not hydraulic...will work the same when the engine is in Stop mode...SS maybe is not the best for some...but imagine a town where the traffic is collapsed, and you must breathe in all the smoke from other cars...If everyone had SS working...what a ECO environment...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts