Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking at a 2008 to replace our '58 C4 Picasso HDi, had a good look around one and like what I see - we've decided on the specification we want (Allure, pearl white, bronze interior) but there is a small issue - we are going petrol and I'd rather wait for the 1.2e-THP rather than have the 1.6VTi - I've asked my dealer about expected order, build and delivery dates but he can't get hold of anything for the 2008, only on the 308 which gives me an idea about price differential and performance etc. - does anyone have any information about the blown 3-pots and their availability?

I'm happy to wait to get the right car, hopefully my local dealer can get close to the broadspeed price too...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Frank and welcome.

I was told the new petrol engines will be available from late Spring but nothing definite so it could be Summer time. Many reports just say 'due in 2014'.

Al.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Al, yes the Peugeot dealer guessed it could be march order for May build - I'll have to keep 'em peeled

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 1.6 NA Prince engine is a dog and is being dropped from the range over the next year. If the turbo version of the 1.2 brings some extra shove to an already sweet engine then it'll be well worth waiting for if you're able to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think the 1.6 petrol engine can be described as a dog,

I know two people with the 1.6 petrol including myself and its great to drive,
its nice and quiet when cruising and has enough power to overtake, much better than any diesel engine I have driven in the past.
As for all the reviews that say its slow, I just don't get it. Its the fastest 2008 on the road and drives beautifully.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an issue with the 1.6 Prince unit, I've driven it in a DS3 and MINI before, I'm a 3-pot man at heart; my daily-driver is an Audi A2 1.4TDI 3-pot which I've owned for nearly 9 years and Mrs FB had a pair of smart cars over 6 years, also 3-pot - I'm a big fan but the N/A version is just too-short of pull (unlike the 0.9tce in the Captur which is sweet and has pull!)

I have 3-pots in my blood! The 1.6 VTi does seem to have received some negative press in the 2008 but in my experience it's a nice unit - just not a tripple!
Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jinx, three cylinders in the engine rather than the usual four and above.

Mac

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Prince is a hound. It's cost PSA so much in warranty claims that they're binning it prematurely in NA form. In some countries BMW and PSA have faced class actions by legions of upset owners, which must have dented profits. That's what happens when you take a perfectly decent PSA TU motor and let BMW - who have a poor track record with 4 pot car engines - redesign it into a new motor.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the 1.6 THP has issues, my colleagues 308CC with this engine is on it's second timing chain at 4 years and 27k as they stretch, the DS3 forum is full of tales of woe, but I didn't think the VTi versions had issues - you can always find faults on most vehicles just google 'DW6 turbo fail' to have a heart attack of you own a 1.6HDi PSA product, although invariably it's an issue of not following the service bulletin for oil changes and/ or PSA's advice that intervals are 12,500 miles or 2 years; ours is always done annually or on mileage by a dealer I trust!

What's the issue with the N/A Prince unit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
some evidence would be useful.i can't go to Peugeot and say your 1.6vti is a hound because don says so....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke at length with my dealer yesterday - he tells me the advice they have from Peugeot on the 308 is ordering the 1.2e-THP from March with June deliveries but his inquiries with Peugeot on the 2008 with the same engine lead to a complete blank, so at this rate we will struggle to make the '64 plate change! Luckily we don't need to sell the Picasso and we can wait if necessary. Still, we've decided on the spec;

1.2e-THP 110 (or 130 depending on price) Allure in Spirit Grey, Oxford Black interior, Park Assist, Heated Seats, High Level Retaining Net, 17" Eridan Anthra Alloy Wheels, Second Flip Key and Mats.

I don't think I'll ever use park assist but when mrs FB saw how it worked on YouTube she was smitten, and at least we have time to save up for all those options...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive got a 1.6VTi (petrol) had it from last June (2013) it was one of the first in the UK, its never missed a beat and has never been back to Peugeot for any warranty related issues, i just dont get people who READ stuff and believe everything they read, if you own something and use it every day then I would say your qualified to make accurate remarks, it you believe all you read without actually experiencing it then I think you just a little biased on what you like........

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, went further afield to a Peugeot dealer who gave a monkies rather than my local outfit, and drove a 1.6VTi; we now have an on-the-table quote which works for us on an Allure (Spirit Grey, heated seats, 17" Eridan Anthra alloys and the load retaining net) and now sat here mulling over whether to jump for this or wait for the 1.2e-THP; we both liked the 1.6VTi but I have a nagging feeling I'd prefer the blown 3-pot and we intend to keep this car a while so don't want to make a mistake...

I have to say, what a beautiful car and we drove a MINI Countryman yesterday as a 'budget buster' treat; we both prefer the drive and feel of the 2008 when I expected to be using man-maths to justify the more expensive car!

So, we will be buying a 2008 but whether we stick or twist is the big decision...

I would also add that I am thoroughly impressed with Norton Way Letchworth, but that shouldn't surprise me as my uncle has had a few Peugeot's from them and he has always been more than impressed; despite not being my local dealer, they will get my business whichever way we jump.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi FB, what did you decide in the end, did you go for it or are you waiting for the 1.2e-THP ? Sorry if you have written another post since and placed the order, I am new here and getting up to speed.

We are test driving a 1.6VTi but an Automatic 4 speed, even before the drive I have concerns if 4 speed auto will good, I am sure it will be.

Other options are1.2 e-VTi
Stop & Start EGC and
1.6 e-HDi
Stop & Start but we need to have a drive in the egc as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hear hear!

I am loving my 1.6vti.
Its great on the country roads up here in the great driving country of Scotland,
and has enough power and speed to overtake when necessary.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We stuck in the end to wait for the 1.2e-THP; I liked the 1.6VTi in many respects but it revved to high on the motorway (especially as we spend quite a lot of the high speed stuff in French France at a legal 81mph when it would be pushing towards 4000 rpm for hours on end) - despite that if you don't spend loads of time on the motorway I think the 1.6VTi is a sweet unit, the 1.2e-THP won't have the overall tractability of the 1.6 (turbo will see to that) bit I will take that.

AutoCAR drove a Citroen C4 which is being introduced with the 1.2e-THP this week; I have no doubt it's worth waiting for but...when... Seems odd Citroen introducing it in a car that doesn't sell that well and waiting until spring 2015 to put it on the DS3, which sells like hot cakes.

I can't deny the lack of info is a tad annoying...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...and it's goodbye and thanks from me.

First, let me say this is a great forum and very enjoyable to spend time on but sadly I wknt be doing it as a 2008 owner. After much discussion we decided to turn our brief for a new 1.2e-THP 2008 into a used Citroen DS4 1.6HDi 115 DStyle

I know we didn't want diesel but I got bored of waiting for the 2008 and a lack of interest from the dealers combined with mrs FB seeing a DS4 and remembering how much she liked it meant that after a few weeks looking we came up with a 9 month old car at motorpoint with 9k on the clock, a significant saving on the new price (even assuming a £5k discount) and much cheaper than any other comparable car on the market

Yes it's diesel but the 1.6THP DSport is rarer than Shergar poop being cleaned up by Lord Lucan and the 1.6VTi would need to shift a car heavier than the 2008 - it's the same engine as the 2008 and what an absolute gem it is too

I'll still pop on as I do like the 2008 but I won't dare drive a 1.2e-THP just I'm case!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bye Frank, the new motor is definite;y good looking from this angle.

Never know, you may come back to us one day.

Jinxx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts