Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2008 ecomatic last week and stumbled across this forum as I was desperate for answers about the gear changes ..... Oh how I heaved a sigh of relief when I realised I was not alone. Everyone's posts on this subject have been very interesting (especially Pilot and Uncle Tone) I am still bitterly disappointed in my choice - having driven Peugeots for 25 years and LOVED every one - I nearly wept having brought this one home ! I will keep reading this forum and learning - anyway just wanted to say a quick Hi and Thankyou all for letting me join in.Edited by: Bailey

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome, and have a nice time in this forum.You will see...You are not alone !!! (remember the movie? ha-ha)
So, don't worry, you will learn to drive it :)))))
I wasa little scared in beginning as the changes was unpredictable, I preferred to stay in the back of a truck instead of driving around...but in time I have learned how to predict the changes, as I made it with the manual gear also...in order to keep the things good, just a small advice:
- if you prepare to accelerate in order to take over a slowly car, first thing make sure you have around 1700 rpm...if not, touch the Minus Gear...will shift in previous gear and will have more power...also accelerate a little hard, will not shift up until you leave the acceleration a little to breath...

Best regards.

PS. The new class 2015 for students who wants to learn how to drive EGR is open...Tax: Free, as long as you give Kate a PJ and Tony a bottle of wine :))

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou George 2104 for your warm welcome. I traded in my 308 SW HDI (manual) and I know it sounds silly but I am missing it dearly. So far I feel nothing except regret - I love driving and was out every day but since I picked up this 2008 I have been making excuses not to go out at all (pathetic really !) however, I have no choice but to persevere and I'm sure with a little bit of help from you guys I will overcome this. At this moment in time I would settle for "liking" the car
Anyway , Thankyou again for the welcome - honest ...... I'm not usually this moany (well not much !)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Me too Bailey. I am (ask anyone except the wife) good and kind and incredibly pure, and a really happy chap, not grumpy at all,but as you will have read my experiences with the EGC have not been the best but I have posted long and hard about that. Welcome to the mad house and I can assure you, not withstanding Georges comments, that you won't get used to the abortion of a gearbox and that as time goes by you will only get more frustrated with it, but Hey Ho, it gives us a purpose in life to moan about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emmmm Thanks (I think) Pilot .... Although your reply didn't give me the divine "hope" I was craving it did make me laugh ! Is it REALLY that bad ??? Oh what've I done ? Thankfully the gearbox doesn't clunk like others have reported but changing the lower gears you think the damn thing is going to grind to a halt ! Will mention it to the garage at initial service time but will probably get the standard answers that everyone on here has got ! If I wasn't going to lose so much money I'd buy my 308 back ! Grrrrrrr

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bailey, I hope it works out for you....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Helen,

Welcome to the mad house where owners of 2008's with the infamous gearbox all live.

Don't worry kid we've all been there bought the car ....and you know what come on here to gripe about it. But then what you find is this bunch of nutters.

We have a resident grumpy, great guy loves his wine, loves his wife (I think) loves his flying but absolutely and I mean absolutely hates his car. But what a guy.
Then you have the "johnny foreigner" (George) from Romania, very hospitable, loves his women, loves his country, hates his gearbox and can't speak a word of English, but you know what, if he came over here I'd welcome him with open arms. I wouldn't let him near my daughters but I love him.
You'll come across the "chuckle brothers" shortly, Mik, he was the one was eaten by the cat but the other has a bit more about him. He's a Yorkshireman, you'll find a couple of them on here. Can be a bit blunt, tells it has it is, but hey he'll help you out anytime.
Then you'll come across the moderator...Alan, what can we say about this guy. Well I for one think he's got a wicked sense of humour, is continually being beaten by his wife for watching smutty videos on you tube and posting them on here. Reckon he knows a thing about "IT Stuff" probably does but we don't.

Helen you are more than welcome to the nut house and for goodness sake woman don't get hung up on the car..stick it in manual and drive it on the paddles or watch when its due to change gear, in the dash, and lift your foot off the gas. Its a great car you will come to love it after 300,000 miles and 150 yrs.

When you come round, go get a glass of wine and when it goes dark, put on your pyjamas go outside sit in the car and look at the ambient lighting, happy in the knowledge that your two sisters in Mansfield and The Rough End of London will be doing the same. Oh and don't forget your handbag hang around the mirror.

If the electrics go on the car for goodness sake don't mention it to Burty, he has a fondness for French Electrics but actually he's a wizz kid with anything that blows up.

See your feeling miserable already.

Welcome its great having you with us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uncletone Thankyou so much for the words of wisdom ..... You have instantly made me feel bitter ..... Oh no I mean BETTER. It's like an extended family and already I feel I can share a couple of personal secrets ... 1) I can't stop at a glass of wine , must finish the bottle and 2) I don't own pyjamas ! So if a slightly intoxicated large lady in the buff gets arrested because "I'm just looking at the pretty lights Officer" will you club round the Forum members and raise the bail money please ? On a more serious note - I think it will take more than 150 years for me to like this thing ! Pilot and I are most definitely on the same frequency ! But , any more advice will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lol, our George doesn't wear PJ's either (apparently!)

Don't worry, you're part of the 2008 family now - we would organise a prison break-out for you
Edited by: KateinNotts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
KateinNotts said:
Lol, our George doesn't wear PJ's either

Don't worry, you're part of the 2008 family now - we would organise a prison break-out for you

.....you won't get far if the getaway car has an EGC box though......

·
Registered
284 Posts
I nearly said that Al but I didn't want to cause additional distress....

We can use Tone's TT, you can get 4 people in those so long as anyone in the back is under 5'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha you guys are making me feel soooo much better for making one of the poorest decisions of my life (not including relationships - that's a whole new forum !) a pyjama less prison break in a TT - how am I supposed to get to sleep with that image rattling around in my head ?

·
Registered
284 Posts

Whilst I haven't driven a car with your gearbox, I can't help but feel that over time you will start to adapt to it? Focus on the positives, nobody has died, nobody is injured (although I suspect that your Peugeot sales person might be "at risk" at the moment). Yes, you're probably stuck with it for a few years but at the end of the day it is only a car. Rant with the other owners on here and make a mental note to learn from experience. Then crack open the wine, open a box of Maltesers (it works for me) and enjoy your life.....

Welcome to the club, we like people with a good sense of humour like yours

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou Kate , I am so glad I found you and this website - you guys have been like a big bowl of chicken soup. As for sense of humour - you would need to have a sense of humour to have bought this poor excuse for a car !!! ....... And breathe ...........

·
Registered
506 Posts
Helen,

I don't know about the image of you rattling around in a TT I'm more concerned about the girls organising something with no PJ's this is tooo much in the morning for me.....

Kate you should be locked up for encouraging harmless vulnerable people like me to things like this. And as for you AL what sort of a moderator encourages such ramblings.

Helen, believe me the car will be fine, when we bought madams car i run it for a few weeks and covered around 7k miles in it. After a while you adapt and the thing is, I was going to say OK, but I would be lying

IT's A BAG OF NAILS THE WORST THING ANYBODY WOULD SPEND MONEY ON

believe me it will be fine and once more welcome and listen go and have a great weekend everybody.

I'm off car hunting today.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hey; I'm not a mod.....just an annoyance.....

The EGC does require a little practice to get it right but that only takes a few drives and then it becomes second nature.

Seriously the only thing to remember to do with the EGC transmission is to move the gear shift lever to neutral if you are stationary for a while (like in a traffic jam)and the 'Stop/Start' has not switched off the engine (like in the summer on a hot day or if the battery is a bit low etc). This saves unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I only had one experience with my EGC when it faltered a bit selecting 1st gear from stationary. It worked fine after moving the shift lever back and forth a couple of times and other than that I never had a problem.

Trouble isI'd read so much on here that I thought I'd change a bit earlier and get a car with the new EAT6 auto and I'm really pleased with my choice but I do still have a soft spot for the 2008 although I am a lothappier with the design and fittings inmy 308.

Have fun and enjoy.

Al.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys what a welcome ! Right I'm gonna quit moaning for 5 minutes and go out and drive the bloomin thing - will keep you all posted ....... But just on the off chance Uncletone keep your eyes peeled for a nice Tiguan or something !! (Just in case)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I go away for a day n come back to find we now started a NUDE DRIVING CLUB ??????? Think l go feed the cat again felt safe in his tummy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
**** , I would like it to be known that I am completely innocent in all this . I seem to have fallen in with a bad lot only yesterday ! It will take a lot of will power not to get led astray by that naughty Kate and Uncletone !!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Stay away from them "foreigners' nothing but trouble lol perverted the lot them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts