Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a good answer from Honest John in the Telegraph today when asked:

<div ="section" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb214, 214, 214; padding-bottom: 5px; margin-bottom: 5px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; line-height: 15px;">What car should I buy to cope with winter conditions?
My partner would like to buy a new/nearly new
car
which can cope with occasional snow and steep hills in the area she works as a GP. Her commute to work is a round trip of 30 miles, but there will be shorter journeys during the day due to patient visits. What do you suggest she buys?

Honest John's reply:

The new Peugeot 2008 with 'Grip Control'. Took me up a 1-in-3 ski slope covered in hard packed snow. 'Grip Control' comprises an electronic diff plus Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons tyres. The right tyres are much more important than four wheel drive.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/46367/what-car-should-i-buy-to-cope-with-winter-conditions-

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've been wondering what the price of these tyres is, but this is the first time I've seen anything that actually provides the detail of the tyres. So I ran a quick check on the national tyres web site to see what they come up at:

For the 17 inch wheel: Your tyre search has delivered 28 tyres that match size 205/50R17,

Which appear to range from around £120 to £185 per tyre.

TheGoodyear Vector 4Season
2055017GY4SV is £168.70

Best hope not to need any for a few years. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes Honest John, that's why all off road cars, Land Rovers have 2 wheel drive and winter tyres.

Tyres are very important, and the grip control system is superb in slimy conditions or a film of snow, but proper snow, mud etc there ain't no substitute for 4WD and locking diffs. Take it from someone who owned a 3008 with grip control and a Range Rover at the same time - it's good but it's limits are far below those of a proper 4WD system, even on mediocre boots.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I suppose it matters whether the other cars in front of you have 2 or 4 wheel drive.

If they're stuck then so are you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BMW drivers get stuck in ditches!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello,

I do wonder myself how the car will cope in the "real" snow in "real" winter conditions, a few people have stated would like to get their cars before winter which suggests (if its snows) they are expecting the car to be able to cope.

To be honest I myself have high hopes for it being able to cope (as best as it can anyway, better than my focus at least!)

-Sam

·
Registered
155 Posts
The grip control handles a film of a few inches of snow very nicely. A proper snowfall, like a foot or more, and it flounders.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The way I see it, I've never had 4 wheel drive on any of my own cars. I've driven in snow enough and never got stuck, and I know when to go out and when not to. So grip control is a bit of a bonus. (Actually our 807 is surprisingly good in snow.) I guess if you want something that will virtually guarantee you can get where you are going across all terrains in all weathers then a proper 4 wheel drive is worth getting. But then you have to live with it for the 99% of the time that you don't need it. I've driven enough Landrovers and Discoveries (and other 4 wheel drives) to know I couldn't live with one every day myself.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In our 5 month long winter last time round my Landie came in useful on more than one occasion out here in the boonies. Heavy rain, flash flooding, snow etc. It didn't snow that badly, yet our village was cut off to normal 2wd vehicles for several days on a couple of occasions. Summer, Winter, night or day, no need to give it a second thought. Cheap insurance, dirt cheap spares, and no one cuts you up - it ticks a lot of boxes the 2008 doesn't, and together they complement each other nicely out in Turnipshire.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 206 diesel SW would pretty well go anywhere on its narrow tyres around our village - i am sure winter tyres would have made it even safer - just the ground clearance was the issue

·
Registered
107 Posts
Land rover, cheap spares?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts