Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Win8.1 and the strangest thing happened today.
I clicked on one of the news features under an open Sky news report and it opened ok but when I clicked again it opened another tab; and then another; and then another with a voice saying I had downloaded a virus and I should call a shown phone number immediately (I didn't ring of course).

The only way I could escape the tabs was to force a shut down.

I then did a full scan and disk clean-up, defrag etc.

It's all working OK nowexcept for one IE link to the 308 Forum which opens in very basic script without the usual layout. I can use it in the basic state but it should load like the 2008 Forum does.

Strange thing is that it only does this when I go into IE from the Desk Top page but not when I go in from the Tiles page.

Using IE from the Tiles page loads the 308 Forum page fully.

If I use Chrome from the Desk Top or Tiles pagesit loads the 308 Forum correctly.

Why should it not load this one page correctly?

I've taken out the shortcut and even triedpasting the link from the correctly opened page via the Tiles page.

A full virus scan shows no virus so what's happened?

Puzzled Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's likely you picked up a piece of malware which the anti virus you have not picking up.potentially it will hit you again at some time.some anti virus products are not that good sorting out malware. If you not already done it, create a second admin rights account in case it take over your normal login account.you then be able to access the computer from that account to run malware removal software.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, *$"£@rd's.

Thank you for replying.

I'll give Malwarebytes a try....plus maybe BitDefender Anti Virus or maybe Avast Anti Virus.

I have Windows Defender installed at present but it's obviously not doing a very good job.

Maybe get my PC checked over at our local PC shop as it's only just about a year old!

What really miffed me off was that I just clicked on a link on the SKY main news page. You would think they would have safeguards on their news items.

Thanks again, Al.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used malwarebytes before it is good. windows defender I would say the jury is out on that product. It get good and bad reviews. for a free one advast is ok. IE is the hackers favoriate to break as it is the most common browser and they may not invest time in the smaller browsers. Often people use other browsers ,but it catch 22 as Microsoft do spend a lot of money sorting out the security vulnerabilities.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scanned with both and nothing found; strange thing is thatIE works fine from 'Tiles' for that one website, but doesn't from 'Desktop', even though it's the same programme I'm linking to?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AAARGH!!!
Now it's not loading properly from either Desktop or Tiles!!!

Still loads fine though using Chrome and it's still only the 308 Forum.

This link is via IE: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-44/

This link is via Chrome: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-44/

These links are identical so both probably load perfectly well andexactly the same on your PC's but on mine IE is basic text and Chrome is perfect.

Thing is, every other website I go onto with IEis also perfect. It's only this308 Forumwebsite that doesn't load properly with IE.

I've checked the settings and they appear to be the same on IE and Chrome.....and the link worked perfectly this morning prior to clicking on the Sky news page feature.

Now changed my default browser to Chrome.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd tried that twice yesterday via the tools on the dropdown menu under safety 'Delete Browsing History'.
I had most of the list checked for deleting; apart from the last three.

However; what I hadn't done was check the box on 'Tracking Protection, Active X Filtering and Do Not Track'.

Putting a 'Tick' in that box certainly made a difference.

It now runs perfectly.

Thanks for your suggestion as it made me have another look at clearing it out.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to download that 'Malwarebytes' onto my laptop and it has found a threat.
That was worth doing.

Pressing that Permanently Deletereally gave me the 'feel-good' factor!!

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations.

Al.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy a Mac ;-)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm only just getting to grips with this PC with Win8.1 and it's about to change to Windows 10 !!!
Ah; how I remember my Tiny computer!!!! RIP...but it was slightly better than my Commodore 64.

I'll leave Apple to you youngsters and stick with my PC (and my Android phone...).

Al.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Win 7 64bit remain a good stable one...Win 8.1 is a hoax...Win 10 will be a consumer for all resources, as beta is killing my vent...so back to Win 7 64 bit... working great.For AV I recommend Avira Free AV...
For malware is very good Malwarebytes.
For Allan's computer is BEST the full back-up option from Norton every week :))))))

·
Registered
273 Posts
Free Win10 is to be available from July 29th. I suspect that like the cr** vista and win8 it will mainly be designed for touch screens and therefore not great for those of us with conventional PC's. I will download on one of my PC's and see what its like but I have serious reservations. Win 7, like XP is a very stable and useful operating system.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I've reserved a free copy on my PC and Laptop.

I'll do my Win7 Laptop and make sure first before risking my Win8.1 PC.

PS: I've done a full backup of both on my ClickFree.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Allan, did you get the Mac? ...Big-Mac :)) ? from "Mac-Donalds" ? :))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts