Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scouring the net to see whether Start / Stop makes economic sense; putting it differently do the cost savings.from reduced fuel consumption outweigh the cost of eventually replacing the battery that provides Start / Stop functionality. This battery is not a normal battery and I've seen figure of £200 posted here.

I've spend some time on google trying to get a straight answer to this but I couldn't find a recent (2013 article or blog or whatever) that could answer the above.

An article athttp://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/engine-stop-start-systems-save-fuel-at-low-cost.html said the following "There's a small learning curve involved in driving a vehicle with a stop-start system. Many drivers find it disconcerting when the engine shuts off each time they come to a stop."

My question is whether anyone can describe this learning curve.

I know that external factors such as where you live (eg sunny and warm Malta vs North Scotland) and the typical journeys will factor in but is there a procedure or technique to be followed irrespective of these externalities?

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
540 Posts
The learning curve is about tr best time to let stop/ start operate and the times to deactivate it, so idling at a level crossing let it work but if moving in regular stop/start traffic then turn it off.

Ultimately, when the battery stops operating effectively there is the choice of replacing it or not, at which time stop/start won't operate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Am I missing something, why would you want to deactivate the system? Just keep the car in gear if you don't want the system to operate. Don't forgot that the reduced car tax and start stop systems come hand in hand. If you are not happy using it the perhaps you should pay a higher tax band.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DeepDiver said:
Am I missing something, why would you want to deactivate the system? Just keep the car in gear if you don't want the system to operate. Don't forgot that the reduced car tax and start stop systems come hand in hand. If you are not happy using it the perhaps you should pay a higher tax band.

I forgot the emission tax
. That needs to be factored in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
DeepDiver said:
Am I missing something, why would you want to deactivate the system? Just keep the car in gear if you don't want the system to operate.
Which will make a replacement battery seem cheap when the clutch needs replacing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts