Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 hours plus of waxing and buffing.

I'm whacked!

The Bilt-Hamber was tough. I think it's past it's use-by date.

I've used it on two cars previously and it was never this hard work....or maybe it's just me getting too old for this heavy stuff (work)!!

I did the main areas then switched to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. That was hard going as well to buff up (I have since read some other reports of that!).

Prefer the Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Liquid Wax so I'll see how a coating of that goes tomorrow.

Time for tea and a rest before starting again tomorrow....the wheels...the wheels....

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pictures , we need pictures.

Was it worth it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
burty said:
Pictures , we need pictures.

Was it worth it?
Sounds like he won't have enough energy to take pictures.

Well done that man, bet it's looking good.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My lower back sure is aching this morning!!

I'll be getting her out of the garage a bit later to wash the wheels over prior to waxing.....not sure I'll be waxing them today though....probably do that tomorrow.

I'll take a couple of pictures when the sun comes out.

My only disappointment is that the mats haven't arrived at the dealers yet so they just put the paper ones in the front.

Al.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe next time consider a spray sealant rather than wax, something like AF Tough Coat, CarPro Reload or AB Project 32. They are much easier to work with

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Sounds good! my wax seems to have dried out a bit over this summer too and it's now very tough to apply. Had it years and it's been fine but our heatwave must have been too much for it.

Look forward to seeing the pictures

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Al I was thinking of buying some of that B-H balm stuff myself on your recommendation. I tell you what, I'll buy a new tub and you can give your back some therapy by polishing my 2008 when it arrives. I'll even let you keep what's left. :) It'll be a win-win for you. :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....very thoughtful of you.

I must say though that I did my new Civic with 7 years ago and my new Qashqai just over 4 years ago and it was quite easy to apply and buff. I just think it's past it's best.

I really is very good.

However, I am really disappointed with the Meguiar's Ultimate Ultimate Liquid Wax.

It left streak all over that just wouldn't buff out by hand. I think it will be ok with a powered polisher.

I followed the instructions and even tried over the bonnet a third time with it.

I've now re- waxed the entire car with Meguiars's Gold Class Carnauba Liquid Wax and it removed all the streaks completely.

I've taken some more piccies and will post them in a few minutes.

Al.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al, I will try the Ultimate myself tomorrow. If it does the same I have a tub of Autoglym High Definition, which is hard work but a good wax.I will let you know if we should bin the Ultimate.

Mac. Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax is excellent and Meguiars Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer is phenomenal, brings jaded trim work up to new condition with just a wipe.

It may be that the surface needs some preparation prior to applying.

I might just test it later as I'm just letting my egg and tomato on toast go down a little before giving another waxing.

The sun is up and the sky is blue so as soon as I finish my cuppa I'll be out there!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just tested it on the front wing and it was no problem at all to buff up.

I reckon the 'un-prepared' surface was not good for a direct application.

The Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax appears to have smoothed over the paint surface and testing it just now was good. Went on easy and buffed up easy - it just needed that initial surface prep.

If I was younger I would probably have given it a light going over with Meguiar's Quik Clay, but it's fine now.

I'll keep to the paintwork only with it though!

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There you go:

The 'Ultimate' reflection on a white car.

Al.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts