Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

Is my battery chargeable or is it dead?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  niteram 
#1 ·
Hi,

Hoping to get some help with my battery issue here
Model: Diesel 1.6
Year: 2014

Have not used the car AT ALL for two months, forgot about the battery top up altogether. Now car won't start of course, so got AA engineer to look at it and he jump started it, asked me to drive around for an hour without turning it off, I did for an hour plus, and once I returned home, switched the engine off, now it won't start again.

Is my battery dead? Is there any point in buying charger as others have on this forum? Or do I need a new battery, thinking of asking Halfords to do a home visit and change the battery but before booking I want to know if re-charging is an option for me.

Thank you

#4 ·
Thank you, it sounds like a replacement is due then. Surely not been changed before and it is the original battery. Now then, do you think Halfords standard AGM battery is a good replacement? Or should I look for a more premium one?

I'd agree with the above, bite the bullet and fit a new battery, had it not gone completely flat a trickle charger/conditioner may have extended its life, but generally once a battery has been drained and left flat its game over.
If the car doesn't get a lot regular driving it may be worth getting a charger to keep the new one healthy.
Thank you, I think I am going to invest in the charger that has been mentioned in here before, off Amazon.

#3 ·
I'd agree with the above, bite the bullet and fit a new battery, had it not gone completely flat a trickle charger/conditioner may have extended its life, but generally once a battery has been drained and left flat its game over.
If the car doesn't get a lot regular driving it may be worth getting a charger to keep the new one healthy.

#12 ·
Should have listened to you here! Remember the new battery you suggested I get? I did get it, but that got left for two weeks and now it is struggling to start the car. I haven't yet invested in a charger, but luckily this time around headlights, dash lights etc do try and come up but engine won't start. So, I am guessing a charger will re-charge the battery and fix it? - any suggestions on the charger for AGM batteries?

#5 ·
I think the Halfords ones are OK, they usually have a decent warranty.
I've not checked their range for these cars, they often offer an own branded battery and a Yeusa one for a little bit more.
like anything it depends how much you want to pay?

#8 ·
If your up do doing it yourself the likes of Car Parts 4 Less often have sales on.currently a Lion AGM is £124.63 delivered.

Natch if you're not into DIY then go for what you've found.

#10 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I need a new battery for our 2014 1.2 2008 as its down to 33% and the car would not start on the cold days . Can any make of the correct AGM battery be fitted, and can i fit it or do you have to reboot anything after
thanks, Richard

#13 ·
Agent, apologies if this is the first car you've ever owned but thought that all experienced drivers were aware that:

1) Even new batteries don't always come fully charged, the Bosch S5/096 AGM I had delivered from ECP for £113 took a 15 hour charge to take it from charging stage 3 to 7 on my CTEK charger
2) A newly installed battery if not at full charge when fitted won't last that long if the car sits
3) You really need to invest in a decent charger conditioner, I use a CTEK MXS5.0 and charge up every two weeks in winter and every month in Summer.

I should point out that I've 3 cars and cycle their charging so that all batteries are optimal and following this regime I've had batteries last me over 10 years :)

#14 ·
You aren't wrong in assuming it is indeed my first car. I have lived close to work, in London for nearly 20 years. So never had a reason to buy a vehicle. Recently moved to nice countryside in North and got this 2008

I have invested in a CTEK MXS7.0 today. The battery is charging as we speak. It's been two hours and it's still in stage 1, but considering yours was well maintained and still took 15hours, I might leave it overnight and see if it progresses through to all the other stages.

Thanks for the tip

#15 ·
Good guess huh? :)

Here's one thing I've found on my 2008 that I've not had on any other car in 39yrs....

You don't have to hold down the brake pedal to get it to start in park or neutral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.