Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It got here on Friday at 8am and despite the uncertainty of the colour I fell in love with it. It's more a coral/brick red than Amber red but it all works together with the chrome, greyish alloys & darken windows.
After a quick tour of the car with the delivery guy I was left on my own with him/her. After putting away all paper work, booklets and manuals (no folder for manual as a shortage from France!) I tried to start off. The dreaded handbrake! Looks lovely but ughhhh
. I live on a crescent on top of a hill so delivery guy yanked handbrake up high to avoid car rolling. Now normally when this happens a bit of strength usually is needed to get it down but no matter what I done it would not budge. I just sat there for a bit reading the manual but that did not help much. Whilst sitting there I decided to set up the Bluetooth and stereo which went rather smoothly compared to handbrake. The stereo sounds fine I thought. Just set to one of the pre-sets and as usual set the volume up high on the iPod and it was happy with the result. By now an Addison Lee driver parked up to pick up a passenger so I decided to ask him for advice. He came over and lowered the handbrake with not much effort! Thank you driver
. Now handbrake at reasonable level I started off and low fuel light came on! Luckily I live near a petrol station. Anyway buy now the dreaded rain predicted had started but I still set off on a drive. Drove on dual carriageways, country lanes and high streets. In traffic and big puddles. Generally had a lot of fun in it. What a lovely fun car. It reminds me of driving a fun super mini but with the luxury and practicality of something far bigger (which it is). Was dashing in and out of it as I done a bit of shopping so was using handbrake more often. Still not sure of it. Stop/start became normality instead of a nuisance. Did not notice the difference from going from a diesel 1.6 110 to a petrol 1.2 110 (both turbo). Did not miss 6th gear. Normally when I hire cars with 5 gears I try to find 6th gear when I think it needs a change. Did not happen so far. Took it out on drier conditions yesterday so was able to get above 60mph and it was fine.
Definitely glad I got it. Complained to dealers about wallet and petrol and they are going to send me a wallet through the he post and Peugeot are going to send me a cheque for £25 in the post so pretty happy with service. I even got car mats!
I want to go out in it again but I've now got a cold and it's started to rain again so might give it a miss. Maybe

·
Registered
506 Posts
Glad its as you expected.

You get used to the handbrake after a while and if you've been out in the rain you'll enjoy washing it........

I think like you they're a fun drive and a very utilitarian vehicle.

I hand it over to madam now, it is hers after all, I've gently broke it in for her, and having covered just over 3735 miles in 4 weeks, its averaged 58 mpg, so I'll be happy, as she won't want it filling up with Diesel so often.

Go and enjoy

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UncleT,

I usually hand wash my cars the first 2-3 times but then stop. I live in a flat and even though we've got an outside tap it's still a bit ackward. I really wish I had the time to do it properly. It's like the sales at the weekend here with everyone scrambling to get to the best parking space nearest to the tap though I'm sure we've got no takers in this weather. I'm on leave in a weeks time so will have a go then. Will need to go out shopping for supplies!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Marie,

Unless you're 6ft 3" (2 mtrs) tall, make sure you get a little stool to stand on, that roof is a bit high to reach the middle of from the ground.

I would imagine that all your neighbors may be a tad envious of your new car so will give you priority for the washing rights.

I'm sure you will cope fine with it and it's great fro bombing around "the smokes" traffic in.

By the way, well done with the fuel voucher and don't worry about the handbook etc. It took a few days for them to get "madams" to her.

·
Registered
242 Posts
On the handbrake on the early cars there was a recall to adjust it so it went up higher.i never had an issue as always left in gear but after the recall it did go a lot higher.i would make ensure it is engaged if you not pulling up to the top

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UncleTone,

I'm only 5' 2" so reaching the top of any car is not very likely!

Pete,,

Having a bit of problem parking on a downward slope (where I live) with the handbrake. Can't seem to pull it up a notch. Been leaving it in reverse just in case. It seems fine but this afternoon I had a passenger and a loaded boot so it was still sliding down a bit. Decided to park somewhere level instead.

One annoying thing I discovered, there's no door sill protectors. I'm sure that's on Allure models? Was this one of the changes on the new models? Wasn't the rumour the wing mirrors was not going to be chrome anymore (they still are). Will have to check with dealers tomorrow. Still happy with it though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The steel finish door protectors are a accessory , I believe they are stuck on.i got a allure and they not standard
Re handbrake I ask the dealer to check it if you having problems.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is a recall for handbrakes, in order to make them a little more strength. Rise the handbrake for 4 clicks, and will be steady...I park at my job on a very hard hill, almost 40 degrees, and it stays still without problems. (I leavethe speedin middle position, not reverse or fwd.)
The test: put it on hill, make 3 clicks up with handbrake...not 4...not in speed, leave it free...if the car is moving, the handbrake need to go to service to straighten it up a little.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks George & Pete. Will give it another go tonight. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm sure I'm pressing the trigger when I'm trying to pull up the handbrake!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its the success of style over practicality. On normal handbrakes you do what it says on the tin and use your hand to set the handbrake. On the 2008 you use two fingers. Which do you think is likely to be the stronger?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I noticed in your forum you spoke about iPod do you just plug it into the usb socket or into the 3.5mm jack plug socket and does it then play through the speakers as I have no CD player in my 2013 model active so if I could use iPod great ,my usb/ jack socket is below sterio I would say level with bottom gear stick,not built into sterio if this makes sense grateful if anyone can help with this question gratefull any help.p.s and do you just plug in and away it goes .thanks everyone Pauljo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul,
Yes, just plug it in the USB socket. Not sure what type of stereo is in the Active but presumably you should be able to select the source as iPod or Aux (as I did in my old 308). Turn the volume right up on the iPod and then set the volume on the stereo to whatever you like.

Handbrake problem is now sorted. User error

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Marie,

Glad you sorted that handbrake out I thought we were going to have to send Kate round from Retford to show you. She would have welcomed the trip, especially if it's going to be dark.....be careful what you say **** she does read these you know.

How are you settling in with the car now, the neighbours still fighting over the water tap? Talking of going out in the dark, you're not one of these women who want to go out in their pajamas at night to look at the ambient lighting are you?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny enough I was thinking of popping out before bed, still fully clothed, to witness the ambient lighting in full effect as I've yet to drive it in the dark! I'm sure the neighbours will probably think I'm mad sitting there in the car with the lights on not doing anything. Out to dinner tomorrow night so will enjoy it then.

·
Registered
284 Posts
petes01582 said:
The steel finish door protectors are a accessory , I believe they are stuck on.i got a allure and they not standard
Re handbrake I ask the dealer to check it if you having problems.
On the Allure specification it states 'stainless steel front and rear scuff plates' - anybody know what these are please?

Welcome Marie, hope you like your new car. I found mine a little daunting for a few days but I love it now. I'll be interested to know how you find the acceleration? I live in quite a rural area and the ability to safely overtake agricultural vehicles was a necessity for me, hence I went for a bit more power. I have a bit of a niggle that the 110 might have been fine though. I've done 900 miles so far and average 44mpg.

My only advice to you is to never, ever mention anything about pyjamas on this forum or else you will be reminded about it forever

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Marie,

The ambient lighting is very trendy and worth a look in the dark, glad to hear you aren't thinking of moving in!! Glad to hear you're not entertaining the thought of doing it in your nocturnal garb. That's only something that people in Retford do.

Kate,
The Scuff Plates you are talking about are the two bits of trim fitted to the front and rear bumpers. The front one is just under the grill and the rear is the same.
The idea of them is that if you go off road, as you get to an incline, going forwards for instance, the first thing that will hit the ground will be the bumper if you think about it as the wheels won''t have yet started to go up the hill and lift the car off the ground.

Sorry the description is not very good, but I'm sure that your imagination will figure that one out. They are not very substantial and are more of a styling exercise than pieces of off road kit.
Hope that makes sense.

don't encourage her, we have enough trouble keeping her under control as it is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas...Pyjamas... :))))))))I don't know how is at you, but me and my friends have an old habit: In summer, when is very hot in daytime, we wait until 11PM and we go all in pyjamas and get to McDonalds for one ice cream and a coffee, and after we go to a place near a football stadium and stay to drink the coffee...is fun, even if some people look at us... (the girls does NOT use sexy lingerie :))), but normal pyjamas like boys)...

Returning to your question...thestainless steelplates I have is locatedunder the front bar and under rear bar...like a metal shield, but does not cover the engine, stops after about 40cm...probably is for protecting the engine and rear from very high curb...don't know if you refer at that ones...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Kate,
Acceleration is fine. Got stuck behind a learner on a dual carriageway and was able to go round surprisingly quickly with no trouble.

What is it with the guysand PJs and car cleaning obsession? George, do you go into McDonalds in your PJs or chicken out and go through the drive in? UncleTone, I think we need a pic of you waxing the 2008 in your PJs

·
Registered
398 Posts
No, no...we go in drive-in, not inside :))... but is funny all time to see the face of McD employee when he see 2 cars with 3-4 people inside every car, in pyjamas :))))Outside car we go only at coffee stop, close to stadium, in a parking lot...where is almost every night full with people that meet to talk about cars and motors...

Also I clean my car in PJ's sometime, but I have a pair of shorts + t-shirt from Germany (Kaufland) that is very close to daily clothes... I easier to wash...and because I don't use PJ's when I sleep...is not a loss :))))))))

1 - 20 of 49 Posts