Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Got a DS3 Dsport at the moment on a 2 year lease. Due to go back in August so was looking for a replacement. Need something with more ground clearance and so took a 2008 for a test last week. Loved the car and was just about to confirm an order but started reading in here about the numerous problems people have been experiencing. Starting to doubt my decision now.

Of course with forums there will always be the bad reported and rarely the good. I know most owners are probably very happy with their 2008's so never end up on a forum like this but still, can't help second guessing myself now. Will be stuck with the car for another two years so want to make sure or at least as sure as I can be, that it's the right decision.

Also if Peugeot dealers are anything like Citroen dealers I am not expecting good things :(

Any advice or comments most welcome. Will probably have to decide one way or the other by Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome. I think you will find that the vast majority of us have not had any problems.Other than the recall work mine has had no problems as such.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What burty says is right.

They have made and sold 1000's of 2008's and there's only a handful of problems reported.

My 2008 has been faultless. Silky smooth gear changes; nothing like the problems a couple of members have reported.

The only other problem I can recall is that a couple of members have experienced a 'jumpy' engine at a certain speed; again mine has performed impeccably, as I would think almost every other 2008 has.

We see many threads stating how brilliant the cars are when new owners take delivery so I would read them.

Al.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Thinking about it now, it was the same with the DS3. Seemingly lots of problems but we never had any, not until recently when the stop/start gave up. Obviously need to get that sorted before it goes back in August.

Anyway, thanks again. Got some other questions but will start a new thread for those.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My advice is "get it bought"!Seriously forums are excellent place for information but usually people concentrate on problems they have had and how to get them sorted. This comes in very handy and often helps how to deal with a problem.
I spent many years in the motor trade with Toyota, Honda, Citroen and latterly sales manager at a Volvo dealership. My current car is a VW Tiguan - I needed a 4wd due to where I live and automatic because I'm falling to bits!
My wife's last car was a Peugeot 307 which was nearly seven years old. She found it comfortable and ordered it. I was worried as I'd heard so many problems with the 307. However in the near seven years we had it we serviced it and put on a new exhaust.... That was it.
We wanted something a bit higher but not to big... So we tried the 2008 e-hdi. It's the first car I've ordered on the spot as we loved it so much. I enjoy driving it so much I'm seriously considering changing the Tig for one. Ok it isn't 4wd but has "grip control" which if you check out on you tube looks fantastic.
The car is well built, comfortable and so economical it's almost obscene..... We get 65+ in town and on a run I get 72 and my wife gets 77 mpg (my right foot is bigger!)
Why not ask for a 24 hour test drive? If you do, I'll be surprised if you don't buy one.
A point to note is the boot is amazing bigger than the Tiguan.. I can get a wheelchair and a walker in!
Apologies for rambling on but I feel my ownership experience combined with motor trade experience might be of interest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did test drive one last weekend and both myself and my wife loved it. We usually test a lot of cars before making a decision and the 2008 was the only one this time around that just felt right.

Very surprised by your mpg figure though! Our DS3 was "supposed" to do 70 ish mpg but we never saw more than 55 the whole time we have had it and i'm no boy racer that's for sure.

Was expecting the same from the 2008 but your figures are encouraging :)

My only decision now is what engine to get. the 92, 92EGC or the 115 but have started another thread for that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree the figures seem high but being cynical about computerised information I tried filling tank then refilling and they are about right!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello folks

I've been reading the above thread. I've had my 2008 (1.2 e Vti) about 3 months now and as I've said elsewhere I really like the car overall. I took it to France recently and it was a pleasure to drive on the autoroutes. Everything works kit wise and the luggage space is brilliant for a car this size, the instant flip over seats are so handy when you have something bulky/long to carry.

But, and its a big but, the egc system is very troubling to me. Its not the rocking thing - yes this is a bit quirky but you learn how to drive the car to the point you hardly notice it. Its more a mechanical thing. Soon after I got the car it started to make knocking/clacking sounds when switching between 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears. Its hard to describe but is not unlike crashing gears on a manual. I had tried an egc demonstrator before buying this car and am sure it didn't do this, I would have noticed it. I also came across a 208 egc in France which didn't do it. I have also seen a few postings on this forum where people say their egc is smooth and silient.

More recently I have had a couple of occasions when I have lost traction starting off, particularly slight inclines, and then it suddenly slams into gear. I had kittens wondering what was going on. I had the car in before going to France and was told there is nothing wrong and the gear change noises are a characteristic of egc. I'm not satisfied and the car goes in again next week.

So the point of this post is to make potential egc buyers aware of the problems I have experienced and to ask advice from anyone who may have had similar problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hi , we also have had no problems, other than the recall which for most is just a precautionary measure. our mileage is no where near what some get, but the average speed after 4000 miles is 27, so this is properly why. No complaints with our dealer. Only issue for uswas the reversing light that is now sorted( this may not be a issue to you). So overall no regrets.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think of all the forums I have frequented when looking to replace our car, this one suggests the least - try the Mokka or Captur forums for real sleepless nights!

The 2008 is a great car - it didn't quite come together for us in the end (excellent price used DS4 hit the market before we could order a 2008 1.2e-THP)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we are leasing so things like resale value, buying used etc don't apply to us. It's a simple lease for two years, hand it back and lease another. We only ever want to keep a car two year max so it works well for us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi YFUK & welcome to the forum!
Probably too late now as you said you were going to make a decision by Tuesday, but I have a 1.2 Vti manual and have had no problems with it at all. We really like the car - exchanged it from a Mazda RX-8 so fuel consumption is much better than previous car (!), though not as good asadvertised figures. Again, this is probably down to the fact that I do a lot of short journeys (school runs!) so our figures are worked outagainst about 28mph averageusage.Our RX-8 gave us about 24mpg, 2008 gives us about 40mpg. Also road tax is a big difference -£280 for 12 months on RX-8 compared to £30 on 2008.Figures definitely stack up for us and, while the 2008 is not in the same league performance wise as the RX-8, it certainly hasn't been the disappointment I expected when I test drove it.
Hope you've made a decision you're happy with, and I can definitely recommendthe manual vehicle if you did go for the 2008 in the end. Happy driving!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Held off on the order. Test driving a 92 version at the weekend. I think it's the only way to be sure. Might turn out it's fine but if I have to live with it for two years I better make sure I won't regret the decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
Dont have any doubts.I took delivery of a new 2008 Allure Automatic in February 2014.Best car I have ever owned.I am disabled and getting in and out is so easy.It is very comfy and economical I get 56.4 m.p.g. around town.So stop worrying and place your order now !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tested the 92 EGC version today. Was fine apart from me constantly looking for the clutch and going to change gear myself! Not driven an auto for at least 20 years. Soon got used to it though.

Just need to clear some other questions first. I started a new thread for those though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I test drove a 92 but went for the 115 just for that little bit extra and wow it was worth it, I had 3008 loaner for a few weeks last year and that put me off the auto, so went for manual and I love it, silky smooth gears , power when you need it and great mpg I think you will be pleased if you go for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are leasing though. The 92 EGC and the 115 manual bump the price up way past our monthly limit. the 92 manual apparently has heavy discounts applied so just about falls within our budget. So that pretty much solves one question. If we were buying and keeping the car more than two years I would definitely go for the 115.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts