Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - Have just ordered a 1.2 Spirit Grey with a few trimmings (including the rubber side strips which I thought would add a certain flair to the whole look). The dealer advised me that Peugeot are no longer fitting the protector strip on the boot sill - too many problems with them, apparently. However, I think they look good - does anyone have any alternative ideas for a replacement? Welding a tin can, or similar?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You could check the usual on-line sources to see if anyone is still selling them.With care they can be made to stay stuck, but not if you just use the Peugeot method.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Himazzarati888,
When we ordered the car we went for those side strips as well. Dealer said they'll order it together with the car but it'll be place by them, i mean by the dealership, not the factory.

So if seems factory can supply it they just won't fit it on the car.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. However, what, pray, is the "Peugeot method"?? I'm new to Peugeot and am a little intrigued.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What I mean is if you stick to the Peugeot fitting instructions and do no more it will come unstuck.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you are going to fit one this is my recommended method:

1. Clean the surface of the bumper thoroughly using something like meths.

2. Lay the bumper protector on the bumper surface and make sure it sits completely flat (it probably will not particularly at the ends)carefully bend the protector in the right places so that it does sit absolutely perfectly on the bumper.Otherwise when you stick it on it will always try to unstick itself.

3. Stick the protector in place using good quality waterproof car trim adhesive tape. (you may need to apply weight at this point to get it to stick well).

4. Seal completely around the trim with good quality black silicone.

5. Do not allow to get wet for a week at least.

I did this for mine probably 6 months ago and it's not shown any sign of lifting.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
burty said:
If you are going to fit one this is my recommended method:

1. Clean the surface of the bumper thoroughly using something like meths.

2. Lay the bumper protector on the bumper surface and make sure it sits completely flat (it probably will not particularly at the ends)carefully bend the protector in the right places so that it does sit absolutely perfectly on the bumper.Otherwise when you stick it on it will always try to unstick itself.

3. Stick the protector in place using good quality waterproof car trim adhesive tape. (you may need to apply weight at this point to get it to stick well).

4. Seal completely around the trim with good quality black silicone.

5. Do not allow to get wet for a week at least.

I did this for mine probably 6 months ago and it's not shown any sign of lifting.

Re point 1; Burty is spot on regarding the surface cleaning with Meths but DO NOT use 'Turps' 'Turpentine' 'Turps Substitute' as this will leave an oily residue on the surface.

Methylated Spirit or any Alcohol based cleaner is essential to ensure firm adhesion.

Everbuild Mammoth Powergrip Double Sided Tape is extremely good for sticking things to things (you can get it from Amazon). Warm the items with a hair drier on a chilly day.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
allan40alt said:
Everbuild Mammoth Powergrip Double Sided Tape is extremely good for sticking things to things (you can get it from Amazon). Warm the items with a hair drier on a chilly day.

I wouldn't recommend Mammoth tape. It's very strong but not waterproof.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
burty said:
allan40alt said:

I wouldn't recommend Mammoth tape. It's very strong but not waterproof.

I've used it to stick door sills in place, but they're protected by the door.

PS: I've just checked and the description states:

<ul ="a-vertical="" a-spacing-none"="" style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 18px; color: rgb170, 170, 170; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; margin-bottom: 0px !imant;"><li style="-sizing: border-; list-style: disc; word-wrap: break-word; margin: 0px;">Ideal for both outdoor and indoor use
[/list]

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I checked the official datasheets previously for the Mammoth tapes and they make no claims that the product is waterproof.
<div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I personally found that it didn't tolerate the continuous water treatment on my bumper protector. I wouldn't recommend it for this application. In my opinion it's better to use a car body moulding adhesive tape which is specifically made for this.
<div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3"><t>
</t></table>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts