Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went down to the Butterfly Farm yesterday in Stratford upon Avon and set the sat-nav for the first time using just the post code.

Worked a treat on the way down.

Parked the car right opposite the entrance.

However the return was a different story as there was the red colour missing from the screen.

Also there was no position arrow showing nor any other info.

The car had been parked in a very sunny position and it was a very hot day, in fact we had to open the doors and let it cool down a bit before setting off.

I do seem to remember reading something about the possibility of this happening in the manual.

Question is; does this happen all the time in hotter Countries where the heat and sun are more intense?

I'll check it after I have breakfast to see if a trip down to the dealer is necessary!!

NB: Seems like it's back to normal now but it's not a thing I would want too often!!

Incidentally, we had the air-con on the lowest setting all the way home so the interior temperature of the car was quite normal. In addition, we didn't drive directly home as we went back to our son's house and the car was parked in the shade there for over an hour whilst we had a cuppa and viewed the video he took of the day out. Still no cursor or info on screen and the red was still missing.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My car gets blisteringly hot inside if I leave it in the sun (which is the case in the office car park). Probably mine has the worst combination of black with black leather interior and the sun roof. It does cool pretty quickly though.

I've not experienced any problems with the cursor or colours being missing from the sat nav screen though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks burty, I've just phoned my dealer and they said it's very uncommon and I should leave the car out in the sun (it's usually garaged) to see if it happens again.

If it does then I will need to take it in for them to check as it may need a new sat-nav fitting.

Al.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Allan, that is nice of them to replace the sat nav if faulty.

Is it worth specifying the SAT NAV in the 2008 or just stick with a powerful TomTom, I am thinking about getting TomTom 6000, with live updates and maps for life £250. Also it can be used in the second car.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's always a very personal decision.

I like the built in system as it feels part of the car and will be a good feature to have for p/x when moving to a next car purchase.

The TomTom (or similar) is good because, as you mention, it can transfer from car to car, and when you buy a new car the satnav stays with you all set up how you want it.

Another point is, if I do need a new satnav then my car will be in the dealers whereas with a TomTom you only need to leave the unit.

I just prefer the built in look though with all the other features along with it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after parking in the hot sun for a few hours I can report that all is well.

I even went for a short ride and parked in a completely open area (there was of course someone parked within 12" of me when I returned to my car though)!

Everything appears to be fine.

Full colours and road names and cursor all present and correct.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have been having all sorts of fun this past week with the screen. (I don't have fitted sat-nav) Firstly the screen went completely dead mid journey. It just said ;vehicle fault' and switched itself off. Then it has been dodging between radio and usb stick, uncommanded, and keeps reporting reversing system unserviceable. These faults correct themselves within 10 minutes so I have nothing to show the dealer. If it is the heat (see the handbook) how do they cope in hot countries

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had my screen reboot a couple of times and dauaghter 208 has done it a few times. She took her one in to Peugeot who said it was firmware which they upgraded. But it still done it again a month later !It happens more than they say I reckon !

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would be easier for all car companies to agree to a 7" ish screen format (holder) and provide a common interface for a 3rd party screen to fit in, using some car supplied info and rest via apps by Apple, Samsung etc. Second thoughts maybe not, most tablet / mobile companies use bloated operating systems.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If they started using a common tablet, it would push up autoglass shares for the front window being replaced as they are nicked. Maybe they need a bit more bloatware to slow down the system and make it stable. I thought the plan last year for these tablets was they was going to start to sell add on applications you can load ,if it not appeared you wonder how stable their set up is currently if they not exploting the revenue stream

1 - 10 of 10 Posts