Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I got a Peugeot 2008 in April this year and I know what people are going to say it's only a 1.2 but it don't seem very quick of the mark I can pull out at a round about and it struggles abit then power comes like also the other day I had air con on had it in second gear going up the hill with plenty of speed to get up and it starts struggling to get up my old 208 1.2 would of been fine also when the car is hot dunno if this is a common thing cause it's only 3 cylinder but if u give it a little Rev on the down Rev u get a pop out of the exhaust? I wish I got a diesel now cause mpg is not all that good thanks guys.

·
Registered
540 Posts
At 1210kg, the 2008 is quite a heavy car for the 82bhp engine, more so than the 208 was - in reality it is working much harder, probably equivalent to carrying around an additional person in a 208 all the time.

There were comments from somebody a while back about the lack of consistency in the 1.2VTi unit with a 'surging' nature to he way it drove, might be worth doing a search.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Ryan,

My interpretation of the current breed of Three Cylinder Engines is that they need to be revved to deliver any sort of performance. Running around town or on the motorway at cruising speed they provide adequate performance and economy on light throttle openings.

But the moment you need to, as you say travel up any decent hill or pull out of junctions and overtake slower moving traffic then you need to be down the gearbox and be approaching the red line. Their torque delivery is in the higher rev band. And as Frank pointed out the PUG needs to go on a "Weight Watchers " diet.

Peugeot have recently followed Ford's example by fitting the 110 bhp with a turbo and this seems to deliver better performance with not too much loss in the economy stakes.

Unfortunately Ryan, as others have found, it meets Euro Emissions but lacks in he performance stakes. You may have to adapt your driving style to cope with the engine.

Have you thought about shoe-horning the Jaguar F Type V6 Turbo Engine in, now that would make a good hot hatch

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi

I am jumping ship on the 2008 but certainly not because of any performance or economy problem, I think yours has a problem.

I have just completed a project that involved commuting daily 60 miles each way 15 miles on rural lanes and 45 on fast duel carriageways. Loaded to the roof will tools and materials once on the A roads set the cruise to 72 and let it ride the hills not the best way to get good economy and also filling with supermarket fuel. Tank full to tank full got 49mpg. I have never found it lacking in power, below 2.000 rpm a bit flat but OK down to 1500 around town and very quiet at 3500rpm cruise.

Only problem I have is the way the power is delivered when starting off particularly on hills, as you bring up the revs there seems to be a point where it surges to a wider throttle opening even getting wheel spin in the wet. Have taken it up with the dealer and tried other vehicle and find it is a characteristic of the normally aspirated engine Peugeot 2008, can be a handful for less experienced drivers.

I have ordered a 308 1.2/130 with the EAT6, have taken one out for 2hours and it is a gem and the reports are coming it that in real time it is getting very close to the magic 50mp. In short the 2008 has been a really good work hoarse for me and no faults but looking forward to the 308 auto coming in September.

Several times a year I need to rent a car here and abroad and being a cheap skate always end up with an economy car often a 3 cylinder base car, have had 3 cylinder cars from VW group 1.2, Ford 1.0, Renault .9 and a short run in a Nissan 1.2. None of them have come even close to the Peugeot 1.2/82hp let alone the 1.2/130 but I have heard the Peugeot 1.0 3 cylinder is a bit of a dog and noisy but no personal experience of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys yeh would love a jag engine in that haha just when u saying about really revving it I'm gunna sound silly but I don't want to thrash it cause knowing my luck something will go wrong I suspose just have to live with it as if I wanted another one with a bigger engine I would have to pay more cause no doubt my car has lossed a load of value already and then I will be in negative equity cause it's on finance.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
RichardG said:
None of them have come even close to the Peugeot 1.2/82hp let alone the 1.2/130 but I have heard the Peugeot 1.0 3 cylinder is a bit of a dog and noisy but no personal experience of it.

I have driven the 208 1.0 3 cylinder. I would not describe it as a bit of a dog, but it was quite noisy, quite sporty sounding but I would imagine it would get quite tiresome. I never went any real distance but I was told by the dealer that they get a bit wheezy and run out of puff at speed.

Edited by: burty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts