Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per my previous thread this has been done to death and I expressed my feelings about it this morning in a thread in the Newbies Section.

Needless to say when I met with the technician this afternoon to discuss my EGC Box I took the opportunity to ask him a few questions about this Stop Start pain in the backside set up.

<ul>[*]what purpose does it serve.it was primarily designed and built into the cars for emissions, (where have I heard that before). It can also save fuel. But no auto box, or EGC Box, can meet the required emission levels, so they developed the stop start. This applies also to the new fully automatic boxes but once they had developed it they decided to put it in all / majority of their cars to ensure that they meet Euro 6 requirements.[*]I understand that they've tweaked it for later models. yes Ibelievethat in the new 308 etc they've tweaked the software to give a better driving experience. But it will be tweaked for the new Euro 6 models coming out and it will do away with the issue of it cutting out too soon and when you are parking / shuffling around in a car park[*]can you switch it off with your diagnostics.no way, and we've tried. The ECU controlling it, is encrypted and as I said when we plug the diagnostics in we immediately connect with Peugeot so we cannot do anything we might think is better. I'm afraid when you get inthecar in the morning, your only option is to switch it off manually. He said he hates it and its only there to meet the emission level requirements there is no other reason. Its nothing to do with, "well here's another fuel saving device for you the punter". it was developed as we said to meet the emission levels.[*]some of the guys on the forum have been complaining it doesn't work sometimes and others it does. Have there been any faults reported.<i style="color: rgb204, 0, 0;">n[/i]ot to my knowledge. We have had a lot of owners coming in, not just with 2008's, complaining with symptoms you describe. Firstly let me say that itdefinitelywill not work if the battery has only 75% charge in it. He couldn't count the amount ofpeoplewhohavebrought cars incomplainingthe stop start doesn't work The first thing we do is check the charge level on the car and 9 / 10 times the battery is low. we always put it on a boost charger for a while to get some charge in the battery. Secondly, there are all sorts of variables as to why it will suddenly start up when youclearlyare sat still etc. If you only do short distances, then it may well work for a short time, but then, when it realises that the battery levels are getting low, or the alternator is working hard and cannot put enough charge in the battery, or you open a door, take your seat belt off, blow your nose, break wind, all these things contribute to telling the system it needs to re-start the engine. The system has so far been utterly reliable as far as we are concerned. He did say that because of the load put on the system, it is a good idea if you don't do a lot of miles daily, they've found its a good idea to invest in a "CTEK Battery Charger" which will keep the battery topped up. A trickle charger will add years to the life of the battery and system.<i style="color: rgb204, 0, 0;"> [/i]Sorry but I think at times its downright dangerous. I couldn't agree more with you.[/list]As before, if you don't do a lot of miles, I would switch the silly thing off when you get in the car first thing in the morning. And keep it that way. Unless of course you prefer to run with the system switched on.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Switch it off, yes; but if you also have the EGC box then you'll need to select neutral with the gear stick if you are stationary - just as you would with a manual car. this will prevent unnecessary wear on the clutch.
I reported some time ago about getting a charger:

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/battery-charger_topic198.html#.VZIu4JVwbIU

The charger I have has now been updated (probably just cosmetic with an extra button).

It's a very good item to have. Don't go for the small cheaper variety as they can damage your battery by over-charging especially with the type of electrics in the modern cars.

There is no need to disconnect the 'Stop/Start' battery for charging but connect the leads correctly to the battery terminalsprior to plugging into the wall socket and turn off the mains power socket prior to dis-connecting from the battery. CTek do have circuit protection built into their products, but it's not a bad thing to do anyway.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Al,

You're dead right about the Ctek. I've had one for years a MXS 5.0, it's been invaluable in

a) keeping the battery on the MGF topped up during the winter,
b) topping up the Audi's
c) and also at times, once a year using the recon button to purge and replenish the battery's on all the cars.

I also used it on the 2008 when I got home Friday night, but inadvertently forgot that these have an AGM Battery and consequently I charged it using the "normal mode" button. It had hit the green light by morning tho'.
no harm done, but I will at some point do it again using the "snowflake"button.

And yes you're right when you come to stop as I said in my thread about the EGC Box always stick it in neutral if you are going to be stopped or longer than about 5 seconds.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The 'snowflake' or AGM button just charges at a higher rate so using the 'normal' button will just take a little longer.
I've had no battery'low charge' problems on my wife's 206 since installing a new Exide Carbon Boost battery.

Her engine really has a perky start each morning for the school run:

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/changing-a-car-battery_topic999.html#.VZI-bpVwbIU

I used to have to charge her battery every month with the old 'garage supplied' replacement batterythat was just a couple of years old....and that was a free replacement for a previous 2 year-old replacement battery.

The older battery'swere charged with one of those smaller and cheaper chargers hence my reason for getting a decent CTEK charger.

Since fully charging andfitting her new Carbon Boost battery I haven't had to charge it at all and my multimeter shows it to be well up to the job.

Not sure about using the re-con mode on the AGM battery though as they are a different construction to a standard battery.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice post Tone,

You won't easily find a way to disable the Stop Start on a permanent basis. It would appear that this is a regulatory issue, which makes sense if you think about it, otherwise manufacturers could build cars with stop start, and claim the benefits and half of the owners would never use it, which rather defeats the purpose.

If you search on line you will find a proliferation of owners on web forums for all sorts of cars (not just Peugeot) that hate the Stop start systems, many of which cite the same safety argument and want to permanently disable it. So this problem is not limited to Peugeot.

My own experience with Stop Start is limited to my own Manual car, and I find that it is near perfect in operation. (I gather that other owners with Manual boxes have similar experiences to me). Mine comes on all the time but because my car is manual it is not intrusive, and unless I take the car out of gear and lift the clutch while still moving it doesn't cut the engine ever when the car is moving. But I do a lot of motorway work so the battery is almost always fully charged, and if you are about to pull away the car will be in gear with the clutch down so you never get the 'about to pull away' issues.

I suspect that if I had the EGC box I would be complaining like many other owners. Fortunately I was saved that grace as the 115 bhp diesel was not available with the EGC, if it had been I might have bought one.
When I was looking at changing my car to a 308 I didn't have to say anything to the dealer about the EGC box, he just said something along the lines of "I understand why you wouldn't want one".

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
540 Posts
Years ago I had a Mercedes A-klasse as a courtesy car with stop-start and it was infuriating as it required the brake pedal to be pressed to operate (rather than being out of gear).

I've driven numerous cars with it and can't say it's ever caused me an issue or concern; with DSG (S-Tronic) or Multitronic on Audi's it works a treat as it starts the engine as you take your foot off the brake so even 'jumping' for a gap it's as quick as you are and, of course, unlike e-HDi it doesn't turn the engine off as you come to a stop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Peugeot so do the same as in the new BMW models that remember the last setting on the Start Stop button, after shutting off the engine.

On my car even if i switch it off before i leave home/work, i forget to turn it off again if i stop somewhere shortly and drive again. Apart from that, from what i've seen in some reviews, Peugeot's S/S system is considered one of the best out there ...

Edited by: alex2jz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts