Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 months with my new 2008, overall a really good car, but with a few annoying gripes.

I select which memory I want displayed but, upon re-starting the car, it has defaulted back to the basic memory display. My earlier 3008 didn't do that.

Secondly, at night I find the screen display distracting. However if I turn it off I lose the clock (inconvenient) and the temperature display (vital in winter).

Finally, I really hate the boot release. If the pressure pad under the boot lip is at all damp my fingers slip off - it does not have a positive feel.

Generally an excellent car with just minor issues.

PS. By chance I found there is a 'shuffle' facility to mix either albums or individual tracks on a USB drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
With reference to the boot release I totally agree.
However these may help... we stuck one on in front of the release button and it saves you fingers slipping.
"Caraselle Self Adhesive Hanger Strips" Size 80x6mm pack of 12. These are available from Amazon for about £5 and SWMBO reckons it's the best fiver I've spent!
If you p.m. me I will post one to you FOC as I still have 11 left!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
The boot lid is very heavy and I am thinking of fitting a handle. I have rectified 3 of my other minor gripes by fitting strings to the parcel shelf, fitting self adhesive hooks in the boot and buying the Italian armrest which I thoroughly recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Thanks for that. If you find a suitable handle, and fit it, could you please post a pic of the finished result? Will look into the armrest too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
As a small woman I have to agree re the boot release and the fact the lid is indeed very heavy, for me.I have to stand to one side to reach it to close so avoid getting dirty (mine doesn't get THAT dirty however.I do have to make sure my Basset is out of the way when shutting the lid (potential ouch).The actual pad can be difficult, but over time, you get used to how it best works.

Another gripe - there is an aid for getting in and out of the car which hooks onto the door latch (front) except it doesn't fit Peugeots!!I'd love to have one of these for my husband to ease his getting in and out of the car, passenger side.The info. with this product says not for Peugeots and when trying one somebody had for their car, it was true - it didn't fit.

My only other real gripe is re being 'told' when to change gear!!It would be worse if this was verbal, but it's still annoying when I can see the road ahead and know when I need to change up, and WHEN I DON'T!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
MamaBas said:
My only other real gripe is re being 'told' when to change gear!!It would be worse if this was verbal, but it's still annoying when I can see the road ahead and know when I need to change up, and WHEN I DON'T!
Manufacturers are now obligated to include this in new cars. It's mandatory. It's not Peugeot or model specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Another gripe is that the ignition switch isn't illuminated making it impossible to get the key in on a dark night. I bought a small torch for this event. Mind you the footwells are like the Blackpool Illuminations but I've never ever had a problem getting my feet where they should go. Maybe the ignition switch is illuminated on LHD cars!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Dip beam / Headlight flasher, I much prefer the motion to flash being dedicated for that one function, and not switched to a toggle main / dipped when headlight's are on, (Either by the Auto or manualswitch)

Inability to switch off (at least easily) the media screen, yes you can do this by going deep in the settings menu, but the tab button that goes between audio and car info, could easily be programmed to have a third option being off.

Rain drips from the top door seal, on my head when getting in or out on a wet day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
It used to annoy me that a brief flick of the indicator switch makes the indicators flash more than once (3 or more times).Means I lose the flexibility to turn the flasher on for as long or as short time as you wish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
A few queries ref the above from myself who is waiting on delivery :)
Thebard said:
Finally, I really hate the boot release. If the pressure pad under the boot lip is at all damp my fingers slip off - it does not have a positive feel.
Having yet to see the much aligned boot release, I'm trying to work out what the exact issue is. Is it a touch sensitive device or a mechanical one that is awkward to press?

MickC said:
Have found also, when you close the boot on a mucky day, your hand gets filthy!
Right, so no internal grips to pull down on to close it?

deccadick said:
The boot lid is very heavy and I am thinking of fitting a handle. I have rectified 3 of my other minor gripes by fitting strings to the parcel shelf, fitting self adhesive hooks in the boot and buying the Italian armrest which I thoroughly recommend.
How well did the strings work, and what did you fix them into?

Hooks in the boot to resolve what issue(s)?

deccadick said:
Another gripe is that the ignition switch isn't illuminated making it impossible to get the key in on a dark night. I bought a small torch for this event. Mind you the footwells are like the Blackpool Illuminations but I've never ever had a problem getting my feet where they should go. Maybe the ignition switch is illuminated on LHD cars!
Ref the footwell I've heard that the GT Line has Red around instruments, Blue around Panoramic roof, courtesy lights in roof and front footwells normal white light. Is this tricolor of lighting correct?




Edited by: dbrewood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Another 'small' gripe - we have to park on a significantly sloped driveway and find that when we open the front doors (don't know if this is the same with the rear doors because we don't use the back seats!) there is a significant dribble from the edge of the door when it's been rainy.Our 207 SW did this as well as the first 2008 - have others noticed that and would it mean there is water being retained in the door = rusting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Hmm I never had that issue with old 207, 207CC or 208CC. We'll see when the new machine arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
dbrewood said:
A few queries ref the above from myself who is waiting on delivery :)
Thebard said:
Finally, I really hate the boot release. If the pressure pad under the boot lip is at all damp my fingers slip off - it does not have a positive feel.
Having yet to see the much aligned boot release, I'm trying to work out what the exact issue is. Is it a touch sensitive device or a mechanical one that is awkward to press?
The common complaint is that the boot lid is too heavy. This is caused in part by users not realising that there is roughly 1/2 second delay when pushing the button, before the boot lid is released. If you don't pull up too early you find the boot lid not quite so heavy. Personally I never had a problem with the button itself.

dbrewood said:
MickC said:
Have found also, when you close the boot on a mucky day, your hand gets filthy!
Right, so no internal grips to pull down on to close it?
Actually there is. Presumably some people don't use them I presume that this problem could be similar on any car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
burty said:
The common complaint is that the boot lid is too heavy. This is caused in part by users not realising that there is roughly 1/2 second delay when pushing the button, before the boot lid is released. If you don't pull up too early you find the boot lid not quite so heavy. Personally I never had a problem with the button itself.
Right so the button is not a mechanical release but an electrical one that then triggers the mechanical unlock? That makes sense
burty said:
Actually there is. Presumably some people don't use them I presume that this problem could be similar on any car.
Yeah the handles are there on the MINI and work for me, so will not be a problem on the 2008.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
MamaBas said:
Another 'small' gripe - we have to park on a significantly sloped driveway and find that when we open the front doors (don't know if this is the same with the rear doors because we don't use the back seats!) there is a significant dribble from the edge of the door when it's been rainy.Our 207 SW did this as well as the first 2008 - have others noticed that and would it mean there is water being retained in the door = rusting?
It's a common problem. There arethings that help. Put car wax along the paintwork above each door and polish to a shine (when the car is dry), it helps water to run off more easier above the doors so lesswater is availableto dripinside the car.It also helps to keep the area above the doors clean as any dirt holds more water.

Running a piece of newspaper,kitchen towel or cloth along the top of doors prior to opening them will help, put the used item in a small bag inside the car.

A tip for lifting a dirty boot lid or opening a dirty door handle, keep a vinyl glove or two and/or small plastic sandwich bagsin handbag/pocket and use when necessary, hands stay clean. Useful to keep a few inside the car as well as they have multiple usages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
"It's a common problem. There are things that help. Put car wax along the paintwork above each door and polish to a shine (when the car is dry), it helps water to run off more easier above the doors so less water is available to drip inside the car. It also helps to keep the area above the doors clean as any dirt holds more water.

Running a piece of newspaper, kitchen towel or cloth along the top of doors prior to opening them will help, put the used item in a small bag inside the car."

The dribble comes from the bottom of the door, not the top much as of course, it may be getting in from the top? And the water isn't getting inside the car - it just dribbles off the bottom of the door when the door is open, until all the water that has somehow collected in the door, has gone.

I'm wondering whether this is because the car has to stand on the significant slope of our driveway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
my gripe with the 2008 was lack cup holders, cubby holes and a very heavy rear hatch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
This may help with the heavy hatch. There seems to be a delay btween operating the 'button' and being able to lift it. Try waiting 5 seconds between pressing button and lifting tailgate. I found this helped considerably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Reference your question regarding the red white and blue lights on the roof, instruments and footwear. They are exactly as you say. Why they could not be all of a matching colour is beyond me.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top