Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Norway. I just bought a used 2008, Allure, 2018, 32000km, 110hp, petrol, EAT6 automatic. After having owned two manual Skoda diesels over the last 10 years, I'm still trying to get used to the car. One thing is going from manual to automatic, that's less of a problem. The steering is probably what is going to take the most time to get used to. I'm fine with the small steering wheel an the odd position of having to look over the top of the wheel; actually I like it.

However, two things stand out:
  1. The car seems extremely understeered. I have readjust the wheel several times going through almost every curve.
  2. I cannot keep a straight line on a straight stretch of road without constantly readjusting the wheel. The car seems to pull left or right all the time. Driving at high speeds on an empty motorway is not relaxing at all.
Now, it could be that that is just the way the car (Peugeot) behaves. I just need to learn how to drive it. Or it could be wheel alignment, although that would be strange on a car that's not more than tow years old. Or it could just me my tyre size 205/55 R16, or the tyre brand and thread pattern.

Anyone having similar experiences?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It could be the alighnment or the tracking or any number of suspension issues.it definitely isn’t normal so I would get it checked out professionally the car could have been crashed or badly driven by previous owner who constantly hit kerbs etc

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm on our second 2008, the first bought in 2013 from new, and one of the first down here in the SW. From the get-go, I have found the car will wander .... you have to keep an eye on where you are, especially on motorways. Our second, regd. in September 2014, we bought in February 2015 with just 300 on the clock, does pretty much the same although these days, I don't do much motorway travel.

If you are concerned about your car's tracking, I think you should 'consult your nearest dealer'!!

You can adjust the steering wheel to suit how you view the dashboard .... I get really irritated when I take mine in to be serviced etc., to find all my settings have been changed from seat height to how far away from the steering wheel the seat is moved to (yes I'm a woman and have short legs so need the chair further forward than a normal sized man might), and last time, for some reason, the height of the steering wheel which I am still trying to put back to how I like it!! Oh and then there's the rear view mirror and the radio channels!!!

Interesting to find you have noticed how the car can wander. I'd expect my tyre wear would reflect incorrect tracking however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Tyre wear - presumably still the original tyres - appears to be even, with no irregularities, so I'm not sure about wheel alignment. I've only had the car for a couple of days, so I'm still settling in. I'll give it another week or so before I ask for an alignment and/or suspension check.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jank

Check if Norway has anything like this UK site:

https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

On my peugeot it costs about £60 in total which is for a full 4 wheel alignment.

Also check your wheels have been balanced properly, both of these I always do on any car I purchased even f there's no evidence of uneven tyre wear. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, we do have alignment centers in Noway, or rather, garages that do alignment...although it'll cost £160-£200 over here 😖 and that's without doing any corrections.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also appreciate that you may have one or more buckled wheels, which can easily be determined if you go to get them balanced.

Over here that costs £10 per wheel, if (like me) you have black alloys on your cars, I keep a stock of black powder coated wheel weights for my use as silver against black looks horrid.

Always look at the cheapest solutions first, so in order:

1) Are your all of your wheels evenly worn, so if you have one front wheel with 4mm of tread and the other with 6+mm it will make a difference to the drive
2) Are they in the correct rotational direction
3) Are your tyres all at the correct pressures
4) Al the wheels balanced correctly

1-3 are checks you can do yourself, the 4th is at minimal cost

Reactions: SULLY

·
Registered
23 Posts
My car does have a slight understeer It also wanders at high speed but not enough to worry about.
Its not a performance car, its higher centre of gravity and the type of tyres that it comes with are the probable cause.
I tend to drive slower these days so it doesn't bother me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: It's the power steering. It simply doesn't return to center at higher speeds, and if, then only slowy. My dealer mechanic and I took a drive taking turns driving and according to him that is how Peugeots electric power steering works. Most noticeable on slightly bending roads where I can turn the wheel ever so slightly, let go of the wheel, the wheels stays locked in position throughout the curve, and I have to actively counterturn at the end the curve. Give the wheel a quick and far jolt, let go, and it returns to center, but not when making light turns, turning the wheel an inch or less. Then it's just stuck. I've never had a car behave like this before. Or on motorways, if turn the wheel ever so slightly the car weirs off into the left or right lane. In my other cars I always had some play in the steering before anything happened. Here, it's an instantaneous reaction. We even tried a brand new 2008 showroom model, same thing, albeit not as apparent as in my car. Anyhow, they're going to take the car in for a check. That said, it could still be alignment or tyre size and thread pattern. Or just me...still not used to the car. After all, I've only had it for a week :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
How often do people check there tyre pressures these days .????????????????

Once a month when the tyres are cold & I check the tread depth too. I check tyre condition weekly. I use my own Stanley air compressor and a digital tread depth gauge. Best to keep a keen eye on your tyres tread depth, condition and pressures as they're the only connection between your car and the road and each tyres road contact patch is the same size as a standard postcard roughly. Also don't forget to reset the tyre pressure monitoring system TPMS, if your car has it once you've adjusted the pressures of all 4 tyres. Don't forget to check your spare tyres depth, condition and pressure! Also worth noting, keep an eye on the tyre age too (it's on the side wall in an oval and it'll say for example (1119) which means 11th month of 2019. Don't use tyres beyond 5-7 years old regardless of wear/condition/depth due to deterioration of the rubber due to age.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a faulty electric power steering?

I had a peugeot electric power steering unit fail completely on a 207 (although it told me so immediately - at traffic lights fortunately).

May absolutely not be relevant to a car ten years younger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts