Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just swapped the W5W bulbs in the number plate lights for LEDs.

I used the same type as I did in the boot light. **

Very easy to do. Takes about 5 mins (3 mins if you get the LEDs the right way first time!).

New LED left, old W5W on the right.

Now that's better...and they are only about 2-3 watts total as opposed to 10 watts...and a lot cooler.

Those two pictures above were in daylight. The one below is in the darkness of the garage:

Much nicer.

** Better alternative LEDs now used. See further down and page 2.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/CANBUS-ERROR-VEHICLE-LIGHTS-HYOeGlobal/dp/B00862JN84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378629098&sr=8-1&keywords=%28PACK+OF+2%29+CANBUS+ERROR+FREE+ULTRA+WHITE+5050+SMD+5-LED+W5W+T10+501+194+168+CAR+VEHICLE+LIGHTS+BULB+-BY+HYOeGlobal
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">....and this is what they look like:

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<strike>After reading some reports of 'flickering' I decided not to proceed with these.</strike><strike>
</strike>
<strike>If they do flicker then it is quite noticeable so I'd rather not chance it.</strike>
<strike>
</strike>
<strike>Al.</strike>
<strike>
</strike>
<strike>
</strike>
After receiving a reassuring email from the supplier mentioning that they test every SMD-LED prior to despatch I decided to place a fresh order.

I'll report back.

Al.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's the el cheapo ones that flicker, usually the non canbus jobs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Don, yes, that's what I thought although one led (out of a pair) of the more 'expensive' ones I got from Autobulbs Direct did flicker (sent it back but they never replaced it or even acknowledged my follow-up email).

I had just one led (out of 6 pairs) 'el-cheapo' flicker (binned it).

12 people gave these 5 stars, 1 had a flicker and gave 3 stars, 2 gave 2 stars ( one failed after 3 months as the resistor fell off, the other complained they were too blue), 1 gave 1 star (started flickering after a month).

I think I will still try these as I've just had a reply from the supplier assuring me that they individually test each SMD-LED before despatch and they offer a 12 month warranty.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's both cosmetic and practical.

Cosmetic: It gives a white light as opposed to a 'yellow' light.

Practical: The wattage is only 2-3 watts total draw on the battery as opposed to 10 watts for the standard bulbs. In addition they run far cooler.

PS:...and they have a life expectancy in excess of 50,000 hours.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Incidentally, the reason I thought of trying these CanBus LEDs is in case it throws up an error with the non-CanBus LEDs I currently have fitted, when they connect the diagnostic equipment.

Don might be able to advise if that sounds a possibility.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I mentioned above, these are the ones I'll be testing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CANBUS-ERROR-VEHICLE-LIGHTS-HYOeGlobal/dp/B00862JN84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378629098&sr=8-1&keywords=%28PACK+OF+2%29+CANBUS+ERROR+FREE+ULTRA+WHITE+5050+SMD+5-LED+W5W+T10+501+194+168+CAR+VEHICLE+LIGHTS+BULB+-BY+HYOeGlobal

....and this is what they look like:

Not only are they CanBus but I like the contact plug design. Seems a much better system than the single wire type.

Hopefully they'll work well.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New LEDs received and installed.

These new ones are perfect.

They are the purest white of any LED I have ever purchased . No 'blue' hue, just pure white.

The socket blade connectors are so much better than the bent wire type.

Highly recommend.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know some of you like photos (me included!), so here's a couple of the new LEDs:

I am well pleased with these.

Al.

PS: Next it's the footwell lighting LED....in BLUE...

·
Registered
124 Posts
How easy were these to install as I may give these a go when I get my car ?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 minute job. No problem.

Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan could you please take a couple of pictures showing how to remove the lights cover?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi molinari, I have looked at these and they say they are suitable for CanBus but only a test will show if there are any problems with the 2008 system.

Here are some photos showing the lens removal (sorry if the focus is poor but it's difficult holding the screwdriver plus the boot door plus the phone camera
) :

Insert a fine blade in the recess at the end of the lens and gently move it sideways. IT IS A PLASTIC SPRING CLIP SO DON'T FORCE IT!!

The lens will almost fall out.

You may just have to insert a small blade at the end of the bulb socket to help your fingers tease out the old bulb...and insulate any metal blade/screwdriver tip with a little tape; or you may prefer to stick the end of some insulation tape to the side of the glass envelope of the bulb and holding the tape to the side of the bulb with your thumb and forefinger, gently pull the loose end of the tape to withdraw the bulb.

DO NOT USE ANY FORCE AS IT'S NOT NECESSARY!!

The LEDs are 'way' sensitive so don't push them fully 'home' until you test to make sure they are the right way round. If they light when you switch on your lights then push them in. If they don't then they should pull out easily (switch off the lights first!!) rotate an re-insert.

The lens just pops back in. No need to use any screwdriver.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMPORTANT: If you are using a metal blade to help with the bulb/led removal then remember to cover the tip with a little insulation tape!

Al.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts