Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 3, and the slowest was the most entertaining! The diesel has nothing coming off idle, the 1.4 is just raucous. The 1.2 is lively and while isn't a rocket is still useful.

For the Allure in the end, discounted down to just under £12k.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like an excellent deal at that price . My dealer was nowhere near a discount as the car had not been launched. It's strange how the larger petrols are getting reviews of noise even compared to the diesel. Perhaps it is something to do with the new range coming out next year. Probably a little early but do you have any idea on delivery?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The Allure is a nicely finished car.

I guess the cars you test drove were the 1.2 82BHP petrol and the 1.4 68BHP diesel?

I only had the opportunity to drive the 1.2 petrol and that I found needed a little extra power but still satisfying. As you mentioned, a bit raucous when accelerating but was fine at cruising speed. Quiet and comfortable.

I also test drove a 1.6 115BHP EGC Auto 3008 diesel and that went well with sufficient pulling power for me. Smooth gear changes and quiet as well.

The salesman assured me I would not be disappointed with the 1.6 diesel in the 2008 EGC even though it has a lower 92BHP. He said it will perform better than the 3008 due to the lower size and body weight.

You got a good deal by the sound of it.
My dealer gave me a fair trade-in on my Qashqai and also gave me an 8% discount on my new 2008 including the extra's.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1.4 Prince engine is a hound, terrible for numerous problems. It's an old unit too, due to be replaced by the turbo versions of the 1.2 in varying outputs.

It's not going to do a lot of mileage, so the diesel is a no-no because of the anti pollution problems low miles brings.

So the 1.2 it was.

My usual dealer wouldn't deal, claiming he could sell all he could get hold of. Well, I immediately proved him wrong by walking away and leaving a 2008 unsold.

Alternate dealer was more willing, and did the deal - I got a fair discount, he may not have made
Much 'profit' on the sale, but still gets to trouser the bonus that PSA pay for selling the model.I wouldn't pay ticket price on one of these - they're not too badly priced, but still more than most of the direct competition.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is good to know. Mind you my dealer is giving me more for my RCZ than others. So maybe l am not getting that bad a deal on balance but as we have yet to sort out accessories that are dealer fit.......some flexibility may arrive.I went for the 1.6 92bhp. We have this engine in the 207 Outdoor and it is a great engine with enough for all our needs. Sounds like we do a bit more on the mileage to, including the odd trip to Scotland so hence diesel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm a keen cyclist so barely drive at all myself, and Woman is retiring at 36 years old due to MS so won't be driving to work any more. It's rare it'll be doing a journey over 30 miles, and the engine is up to the task of occasional touring mileages. I'm wary of the 4 cylinder petrols - they're about to be replaced, and they're big problems with the cam gear and valve/head damage as they age. PSA are only keeping the high output turbo versions and replacing the 1.4 and 1.6 NAs with the turbo erosion of the 1.2.

I driver the 115 HDi (the 115 refers to the version, not the output - they're 110 metric bhp) and is not as nice as earlier versions of the same engine used in the 308 and 3008 (I've owned 3). Not as beefy in the mid range and a big flat spot the size of Lancashire coming off idle. The fuelling is altered quite radically to get this old unit, almost a decade old now, to comply with Euro VI emissions regs, and is stretching the engine to its technical like, leaving it feeling peaky and rough. This diesel unit is liable to be partly replaced by the 110 bhp version of the 1.2 which is due soon - same power and economy, over 100kg lighter, and no DMF or DPF to fail.

Aside from the new triples the engine range is really showing its age but PSA are in financial trouble and don't have the wherewithal to replace them all. GM are showing interest in a minority shares swap so each firm would own a minor stake in he other, much like Renault and Nissan who own about 14% of one another. GM are keen to save money and want the new B segment 2xx platform, and Peugeot could update its engine range without the cost of developing their own. Interesting times ahead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mines in Sheerness.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don Bernard said:
I driver the 115 HDi (the 115 refers to the version, not the output - they're 110 metric bhp) and is not as nice as earlier versions of the same engine used in the 308 and 3008 (I've owned 3). Not as beefy in the mid range and a big flat spot the size of Lancashire coming off idle. The fuelling is altered quite radically to get this old unit, almost a decade old now, to comply with Euro VI emissions regs, and is stretching the engine to its technical like, leaving it feeling peaky and rough. This diesel unit is liable to be partly replaced by the 110 bhp version of the 1.2 which is due soon - same power and economy, over 100kg lighter, and no DMF or DPF to fail.

I don't understand this. Peugeot's specs state 84KW which is 114 PS or 113 bhp. The power and torque figures they show are the same as the current 308 and the 3008.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts