Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...so; how are you finding it? Working ok?

I messed up with my first attempt (my fault!) but on exiting the parking I found it incredible.

Worked like magic, and the wheel turned so quickly. Truly amazing!

Also, the front sensors work really well when leaving a space, or when entering, even when you've not selected the 'Park Assist'.

Have to say I'm really pleased I chose this option.

Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have tried it many times and it was great in every situation ... but one! In one occasion the sensor went red and I push the brakes pedal to stop the operation. I went out of the car to check the situation: if I hadn't stop the automatic parking I would have scratched my front right bumper and the left rear bumper of the car in front.

... scary

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi molinari, the great thing about your experience is that the 'fail-safe' worked...and worked well as it warned you and gave you time to react and save any collision occurring!

I'd say that was a big thumbs-up
for the system especially as you have used it successfully several times.

Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
well, I'm not sure if I can call that situation as "fail-safe" ... it was my reaction alone (trigged by the warning from the sensors) that avoided a collision, the car itself didn't stop and would have kept steering in place if I didn't push the brakes.

It happened in one single occasion out of 30-40 times I have used the park assist, so far. I have to say that it's really helpful in a rainy night when I have to park my car in a narrow spot. it can place the car in the right position at first attempt.

Still, I fully trust the sensors. They register every obstacle and have really made my day in several occasions. Once they saved me from a collision with a stone while I was reversing. I couldn't see it i the mirrors but the sensors 'spotted" it. Another time, still while reversing, a dog ran at the back of the car and was outside the mirrors' view.

I'm also very pleased having chosen this option

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
256 Posts
molinari said:
well, I'm not sure if I can call that situation as "fail-safe" ... it was my reaction alone (trigged by the warning from the sensors) that avoided a collision, the car itself didn't stop and would have kept steering in place if I didn't push the brakes.

It happened in one single occasion out of 30-40 times I have used the park assist, so far. I have to say that it's really helpful in a rainy night when I have to park my car in a narrow spot. it can place the car in the right position at first attempt.

Still, I fully trust the sensors. They register every obstacle and have really made my day in several occasions. Once they saved me from a collision with a stone while I was reversing. I couldn't see it i the mirrors but the sensors 'spotted" it. Another time, still while reversing, a dog ran at the back of the car and was outside the mirrors' view.

I'm also very pleased having chosen this option

It comes back to this old thing that we have come do dependant on technology and become that little bit lazy. IN your case you had your wits about you and you took control to correct the problem, this is exactly how Peugeot would want the system to be used. Shouldn't be a case of just setting it and thinking thats its always going to work 100%.

-Sam

·
Registered
98 Posts
exactly Sam. Until 50 years ago people would navigate to the other side of the ocean by the the help of the stars. Now you need a gps navigation system to get to other side of the town :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any other updates/comments regarding the 'Park Assist'.

You don't use it every time but how easy are you finding it to use when you do need it?

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just been out to practice a little more with this system and I have to say I'm really liking it.

Basically all the steering is done for you and you do the rest.

When entering a space it measures the gap and tells you to pull forward slightly (if necessary) then you select reverse and let go of the wheel. It also tells you if the gap is too small.

It spins the wheel and you go backwards into the gap and it then spins the wheel to straighten you slightly to align with the kerb. Watching for traffic and the screen you decide when to slow or brake.

You then select forwards and instantly it spins the wheel towards the kerb adjusting itself as you slowly move forwards. Each time you change gear it automatically adjust the steering to suit.

Quite amazing. It's exactly the same maneuvering that you would do manually but without you touching the steering wheel and with far more precision. You do everything as normal except steer.

Leaving a space is even easier and the wheel turns appropriately according to whether you select forwards or reverse.

The other benefit is that the front and reverse sensors automatically combine when you are manually parking or leaving a space to give proximity warnings.

Very clever and well worth having.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
98 Posts
It works nicely, I wish there was a quicker way to engage the parking function, too many buttons to press before it's activated

·
Registered
540 Posts
allan40alt said:
It spins the wheel and you go backwards into the gap and it then spins the wheel to straighten you slightly to align with the kerb. Watching for traffic and the screen you decide when to slow or brake.

You then select forwards and instantly it spins the wheel towards the kerb adjusting itself as you slowly move Each time you change gear it automatically adjust the steering to suit.
I'm going to sound like my Dad now but it comes across as an impressive way to destroy your front tyres if it turns the wheel on the spot!

My friend has the same system on his Yeti and really likes it

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not like you're doing doughnuts.

...and you're not using it all the time.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some extra points:

You have to be on a very quiet
road as oncoming traffic or traffic behind you mean it's impractical to
use. You have to signal and stop just prior to the space and be
a distance from the nearside. Then activate the system and drive
slowly past the gap then select reverse and press the 'go' button.

Fingers
crossed you then don't have to start all over again as it didn't
register or you pressed the wrong button in the process.....or someone nipped into your spot whilst you were faffing around.

The system is great but the execution is just not practical to use.

I
think a better system would be for reverse parking as that would be
great in car parks and getting into your garage at home. Parallel
parking just needs a bit of extra practice then you can use the skill in
any car whether it has park assist or not.

....did I order it on my new 308 ? ....no I didn't.....I do have a reversing camera and sensors though....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts