Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

Can anyone you has an Allure 1.6 EGC please give me some advice.

I've had mine since Monday. I love the car BUT I'm really struggling to stop it or park it safely if I'm on a hill. I'm beginning to think my handbrake is faulty but before I make a fool of myself taking it to the garage I thought I'd just ask here. My previous car (Chrysler Grand Voyager) was fully automatic and stopping/parking the car was easy. I just put it into 'P' for park and put the handbrake on and that was it. But obviously there isn't a 'P' on this EGC system

This is an example of where I am struggling:

When approaching a set of busy traffic lights which are on an upwards hill, I don't want to sit there with my foot on the footbrake the whole time. In a fully automatic car I used to put it into park, put the handbrake on and then I could take my foot of the brake and sit there until the lights changed. If I try to do the same in the 2008 I just roll backwards and the car doesn't stop. I've tried alsorts but each time it rolls back (and keeps rolling back) until I put my foot on the brake.

When I have tried to actually stop and park on a hill the same things happen, I roll backwards. So far each time I've needed to park the only solution has been to drive off and find an alternative flat parking space.

I have tried putting the gear stick at 'M' instead when I park to see if that works but it still rolls backwards.

Each time I do this, I check on the dashboard and the red handbrake light is showing on the dashboard so I know that I haven't accidentally not put it on properly.

Can anyone give me any advice? I've read the manual and the section for '6 speed electronic gears' is quite vague when it comes to actually safely making the car stop.

I'm hoping that I've just been really thick and that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong because the dealer is miles away and I don't want to have to drive miles to show them the problem and be told that I'm an idiot!!

Please help!

Apart from this issue, I rather like my car. I love the steering wheel and it's great on the motorway. I just don't like hills at the moment! Also, I really wish I had ordered the silver trim that goes under the boot.

That's it for now. I'm just going to pick the children up from school (the long way round so that I avoid 'the hill'). Hopefully when I get back some kind person might have replied.

Thank you for reading.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi Sarah,

My car is a full manual so I can only help so far. All I can say is that if the car rolls back on a hill and you have put the handbrake on, it must be the case that the handbrake is not on sufficiently. Try Pulling it up a bit harder. It took me a few attempts to get used to the handbrake in this car, I think because it's not a conventional handle it is something you need to get familiar with.

The silver trim piece under the boot lid (on top of the rear bumper) is available as an aftermarket extra, and your dealer will fit it if you don't wish to do so yourself. (About £80 iirc)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Burty

Thank you for your reply. I'll have another go and see if I can pull the handbrake up much further. It is quite stiff but it does register on the dash when I think I've put it on. Maybe it's just because it's so different from my other car that I'm just being too gentle.

My husband's been so busy this week that he hasn't even sat in my new car yet so he's been no help whatsoever.

He's going to drive it tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if he has any problems.

Thanks also for the info about the boot trim. I think I might get one fitted. I saw a picture of one somewhere on this forum and I think it really finishes the car off nicely.

Thanks again Burty.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Sarah.

The egc is not the same automatic type as you've had.

It has gearbox and clutch which are operated by a computer.

You can use manual change but the clutch is still operated by the computer.

Therefore, on a hill, you have no drive until you go on the accelerator and the clutch then engages.

You should give the footbrake an extra push and move to the accelerator, the car should hold on to give you a second or two and the 'Hill Start Assist' should stop you rolling back.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
217 Posts
just a word of warning really, just because the handbrake dash light is illuminated doesnt mean your handbrake is engaged. it just means the handbrake lever has not been lowered into it's fully off position and that is it's purpose as a warning lamp to prevent you driving off with it partially on.

in almost every car with a manual hand brake the dash warning light can be made to illuminate without physically engaging the braking system so please don't use the light as a indicator that the hand brake is "on"

if your hand brake is failing to do as advertised take it back to the dealer immediately for inspection, if there is a fault they will fix it, if it is user error they will be more than happy to show you where your might be going wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone.

I did what Burty said and tried pulling the handbrake up tighter. It worked on and off. However, because I've lost confidence I feel like I can't just park on a hill and walk away because it still rolls sometimes.

Jonny your reply is really helpful too. So it may seem that I just haven't been pulling the handbrake up high enough even though it is showing up on the dashboard.

We are going skiing tomorrow and my husband is driving to the airport so I will see how he gets on and I will post an update next week when we are home.

I don't like the thought of leaving my lovely new car at the airport carpark. I feel like I should wrap it up in bubble wrap!!

thanks for your replies.

Great forum.

Sarah x

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Oh....and one other thing....due to the lack of a 'Park' position, leave the car in drive or reverse when you switch the engine off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Allan.

xxxx

·
Registered
217 Posts
you may just have a stiff handbrake, after all it's new and may take some bedding in to loosen it up a bit. but if it's so tight you personally can't operate it so it's effective at holding the car you really do need to go get it looked at and see if anything can be done to make it a bit more user friendly. you shouldnt have to "yank" a handbrake on with all your might.

just out of interest are you pulling it up on the ratchet or engaging the release lever, pulling up and then letting go of the lever to lock it in place??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sarah. I have the same ECG box as you and I previously had a 3008 which had the hill assist, My best way of making a hill start is to put the car into A. Put my foot firmly on the footbrake with the handbrake still on. Then release the handbrake, the car wont move as you still have the footbrake pushed.. Then move your foot to the throttle and away you will go. The car will hold for a couple of seconds, doesn't sound much but more than enough time. Go and practice on a quiet hill to gain confidence. The handbrake is all style and not much substance on these cars. My drive is on a slope and I have to pull it on quite hard to stop it rolling.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hill Start Assist:

Hill start assist
System which keeps your vehicle immobilised
temporarily (approximately 2 seconds) when
starting on a gradient, the time it takes to
move your foot from the brake pedal to the
accelerator pedal.
This function is only active when:
- the vehicle is completely stationary, with
your foot on the brake pedal,
- when certain conditions of gradient are
met,
- with the driver's door closed.
The hill start assist function cannot be
deactivated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The robotized PUG (I also have the 6AT) does not brake if you stop the car and leave the leaver in A position, or rear position, or any non-sexual position you name it.Why?
Simple...because when you stop the car, the clutch move the "speed" to Neutral. The 1st or rear speed is engaged ONLY when you start the vehicle and release the footbrake.
So stop with the nonsense of :Leave it in A, or R or M or N...
In order to have the handbrake engaged, be sure you hear at least 3 clicks when you rise it. This should be enough to secure it on medium hill. On high hill, rise 3 clicks, wait 10 seconds, rise again 1 click. This should do it.
Also leave tires against the concrete or something, in case the handbrake malfunction.

For parking on hill, as our colleagues says, press with more confidence the brake pedal. The Hill assist will hold you 2 seconds. Also consider disengage the ECO while you parking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
george2104 said:
The robotized PUG (I also have the 6AT) does not brake if you stop the car and leave the leaver in A position, or rear position, or any non-sexual position you name it.Why?
Simple...because when you stop the car, the clutch move the "speed" to Neutral. The 1st or rear speed is engaged ONLY when you start the vehicle and release the footbrake.
So stop with the nonsense of :Leave it in A, or R or M or N...

With the EGC system if you turn off the ignition whilst the gear lever is in 'A' or 'R' then the car will not roll down a hill as it is locked in gear.

If you turn off the ignition whilst the selector is in 'N' and then move it to 'A' or 'R' it will have no effect and it will stay in neutral.
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">You do, of course, have to select 'N' in order to start the engine.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I always turn off the ignition whilst it is in 'A' or 'R'; then it won't roll away if the handbrake is not firmly applied.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Al.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmmm
They couldn't have even attempted to sell that system in the U.S. to start with or, I suspect any first-world country outside of Europe.
For auto drivers, not having a P (in the parking sense) would be a huge no no.
No wonder they scrapped the idea and bought from Toyota ......the reason I'm so relaxed with our new 308.
The French have not got an automatic transmission history such as the U.S. then later, the Germans.

The parking brake is a leverage compromised affair to enable access to the grip control.
Bad choice for women perhaps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts