Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As our car hasn't been built yet my husband and I keep having this discussion/arguement about the engine and whether we have made the right decision. We ordered the 1.2 vti engine based on my husband's logic.

In our current car, for the last 3/4 years we have driven roughly 4500-5000 miles a year. Short journeys around the city and occasional trips to London 262 miles roundtrip.

The new car we plan on keeping it for minimum of 6 years. Andwe plan to travel around England and maybe venture into Europe. There is a high possibility I maybe moving to a new job which is 68miles roundtrip. So all those things have me thinking maybe we should just go for diesel.

My husband believes as we do not do enough miles it's better for us to buy petrol, even if we travel around England once a month it will not be worth it to buy Diesel as we would not save any money.

My husband is probably right, but i'd like some independent input please
and to put to bed this diesel vs petrol argument

Thanks
Jinxx

·
Registered
101 Posts
It was a no brainer for me as I do 20-25k miles commuting to work, diesel was the only option. I have heard that it isn't worth running a diesel car unless you do over 15k miles a year? Not sure how accurate that is though. Also the diesel is much quicker which mattered to me. Reading all the reviews (and I have read them all pretty much!) the diesel engine is much preferred by all testers than the petrol as they say it is underpowered and very noisy, especially at motorway speeds, and the diesel is more refined. I believe there is to be a much better and faster petrol engine released next year.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we heard that too.

I'm not fond of it being underpowered either I have a little speed demon hidden within

Not sure how long that new engine will take to be available is the other dilemma. Oh well,maybe he was right afterall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having driven both petrol and diesel 2008's I can honestly say I like the diesel better. I found it an easier drive, if that makes sense, smooth and still enough power, more than in fact- I think its down to personal choice, but i Understand that HDI's hold there value more. I'd take both out for a test drive, its a lot of money to spend to later maybe regret. The 1.2 Vti is very economic and low Road tax though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we went to show room only diesel for test drive. Not sure if they have any petrol engine in stock now.

Jlc, regret is definitely something we want to avoid. As you say a lot of money, so I just want to make sure we're making the right choice for us

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't do much more than 6000 miles a year so pure economic logic would dictate that I should get Petrol. But I much prefer diesels so went for one. Most of the cars that we have had in the last 20 years have been diesel.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The current petrol engines get a lot of criticism from the pundits. 'Noisy' 'under-powered' 'wait for the new petrol engines due sometime next year'.

I tested the petrol and found it under powered and noisy under acceleration. It was ok once you got to 60mph and cruised well.

I have never previously had a diesel so this is my first. Have to say I took a chance as we do not do many miles per year; in fact, my Qashqai only covered 6000 miles in just over 3 years.

However, like you, we plan to do more miles and travel around more and with around 74 mpg, zero road tax and lower insurance I saw it as a 'no-brainer'.

Immediately I drove my new diesel I knew I'd made the right choice.

Slightly noisier on start-up than a petrol but everything else is a big plus. Once warmed up it's quiet and refined with plenty of oomph when needed, and I've only got the 92BHP.

I would now recommend a Peugeot diesel in preference to the current petrol engines every time.

Al.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi, it's not always about economics (although don't get me wrongthey areimportant) driving experiencemust come into it and how we feel about our car. Knowing I'm getting excellent fuel returns with diesel rules out the extra cost over petrol even though not doingahuge mileage. Also as it has already been mentioned, diesel engines are so much more refined these daysmaking thema pleasure to drive with all that lovely torque, to me it's got to be a diesel every time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jinxx, it's probably worth taking a test drive in a 208 petrol although they are are lighter car so would be a little quicker. I like you have a love of fast things but find driving the diesel so much more real world with its torque available when you want it without having to blat through gears quickly. Mine is a 92 bhp but it has more go than the older 207 due to the lighter 2008 and so much more refined.I am also getting way in excess of 60 mpg even on shorter journeys. Every time I drive it, at 670 miles now, it is becoming smoother and more responsive.These days I just like to be lazy about my speed and overtake when I want to without hassle.I worked out why one road tester moaned about mirror wind noise, it is because everything else is so quiet when you listen for something that is what you hear!
I was with my dealer yesterday for the 1 month check, free by the way, and my last RCZ has already gone. The dealer said yes yours was a diesel and the three petrol ones we have will be around for quite a while even though they are cheaper.Not sure how that will equate to trade in values later but diesel is seen now as much more desirable than years ago and even on what is meant to be a sports coupe such as the RCZ, kind of surprised me as well.
So try to test both if you possibly can even if it is two identical 208's to get a back to back comparison. Do not try to rev a diesel like a petrol, which is what some people try to do if they are not used to them, and go for a relaxed drive to see what appeals in your real world driving, if that makes sense, throwing in the odd overtake etc.Reset the trip meter before you go and see what you get economy wise. Then you can have a good debate between the two of you.

Hope that helps.

Mac. Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
155 Posts
Petrol. No DPF, no DMF, no worries. With the increase maintenance and insurance costs, and the cost of periodic DPF and DMF replacement you need to be doing about 20k miles a year for the saving made on fuel to counter these expenses.You can avoid this by changing your car every couple of years, but the expense of doing this destroys any savings made.

Diesel technology is languishing at the moment whereas there have been several breakthroughs in our understanding of th spark ignition process in recent years and were suddenly seeing small, incredibly light petrol engines with diesel economy and none of the complexity.

Diesels biggest problems are filth, requiring complex and expensive particulate capture systems, and the lack of ignition advance, which limits power and economy. If someone cracks that problem then diesels can bin all the emissions rubbish, the turbos etc and still generate decent output, and run cleanly.

Then there's the noise. Doesn't worry the Missus, but it grates on me. If you must have an engine you can hear then I prefer a V8 to a Massey Fergusson.

Sure, the torque is nice, but even on the best diseases the power band is narrow and gone in a flash, which is great for pulling away, but combined with the tubby lag it's useless for overtaking unless you plan well ahead. No good for a snap decision to exploit a gap that suddenly appears, as the odds of just happening to be at the bottom edge of the boost curve the moment that gap appears is non-existent.

But my biggest issue on small cars is the way the extra weight compromises the handing. The diesels weight 150kg more than the 1.2, and its all over the front wheels. The extra weight makes it feel ponderous at low speeds, and the stiffer springs make understeer more prevalent. Not a problem on a big car, but if you could afford an XJ or A8 then you surely could afford the petrol.

I was getting 72mpg - that's genuine mpg, not the EU test lies -and paying cheap road tax out of my first 107 8 years ago. Almost a decade on people go on like that's.some kind of big.deal,.and.it was... 8 years ago.

Diesel car sales are falling and have once again dipped under 50%, and the cost of the fuel is rising as demand drops. Ford, Peugeot, Vauxhall, Renault, Nissan etc all now sell - or at kn the verge of selling - small bore petrol motors with better power, a less peaky power delivery, equal economy than contemporary diesels, with none of the weight, maintenance or complexity drawbacks, and this is going to add to the momentum of diesels decline. Unless you're a big mileage user the diesel hasn't been a more economical all-round option since the first particulate systems.we're introduced 12 years ago, but a largely gullible public can't get their heads past an impressive headline mpg.figure, which is largely unachievable anyway as it was create in a lab, and the combined figure mos people loom at is a result of mathematical calculation, not actual measured performance.

Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have choose the 1.2 petrol engine after consulting different people, among them a few mechanics and an independent advisor at the Danish Automibile Association. I drive about 6000 miles/year and the most common drive patterns in my case are short trips in the central Copenhagen or in the outskirts of the city. I've been told that kind of driving would wear out a diesel engine much quicker than a petrol engine. In other words, diesel engines are not good for short trips

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sage advice. A diesel shouldn't be regularly used for trips under.7 miles. Indeed, as a keen cyclist I'd argue that no able bodied person should use a car for a trip under 7 miles, but that's another matter.

BTW, I cycle more miles a year than you drive.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been really helpful and added support to each sides debate.

Then we found on What Car site that they have a calculator on petrol vs diesel this morning and going on the monetary values alone, it shows that it would take us 11 years driving 8000 miles a year to recoup the extra expense of having the diesel engine

My husband is currently giving me the 'I told you so look'
and is now telling me the debate is over. Petrol wins.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Jinxx

Edited by: jinxx80

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello :)
Im also torned about what engine to buy.I was set on the 1.2 vti, but is it true that you can only get the 16" alloys, and not the 17" inch ones if you choose the car With the 1.2 engine?
Probably sounds a bit strange, but i do really like the car With the 17" alloys on them.
Even enough to consider going for the 1.6 HDI 92hp.

I drive about an average of 60-70 km everyday, so dont think the diesel would be a poor Choice eiter way?

First post, and greetings from Norway

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Bjorn and Welcome to the forum.

It is not true, you can get 17" on the 1.2vti.

Jinxx

Edited by: jinxx80

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All
Just have to say its my first diesel and I love it, only done 100 miles or so so far this week, but the needle on the petro gauge hasn't moved. I will be doing around 12-15000 miles per year and a mixture of urban/ motorway and no car tax. Very happy so far
Kate

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Kate,

Sounds like for you, its a no brainer.

Any photos for us still in the waiting room

That's all I do these days, watch videos and get jealous over people's photos
of their shiny new cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will try and get the photos on at the weekend Jinxx, I will have to upload them through the computer, the iPad won't let me upload for some strange reason.
Whatever you choose you will love it, it's a great car. I probably would have chosen petrol, but wanted the automatic and they only produce it in the diesel. My last 2 cars have been automatic, I can't be doing with sitting on the m25 in start stop traffic messing with the clutch and gears all day.
Kate

·
Registered
4 Posts
jinxx80 said:
Hello Bjorn and Welcome to the forum. 

It is not true, you can get 17" on the 1.2vti.

Jinxx
Hi Jinxx! Do you have a confirmation from a dealer or maybe you ordered yours 1.2 with 17" alloys?
I can choose the 17" from the configurator, but it says with grip control. And as far as ive been told, grip control
Is not possilble to get with that engine. I should probably just email my local dealer and ask :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I made an error. I was looking at the wrong page of the equipment and specification sheet.

17" 'Eridan' Anthra Alloy Wheel (Allure - 1.6 VTi, 1.6 e-HDi 92 manual and 1.6 e-HDi 115 ONLY)

17" 'Eridan' Brilliant Black Alloy Wheel (Allure - 1.6 VTi, 1.6 e-HDi 92 manual and 1.6 e-HDi 115 ONLY)

You could have it on the 1.6 VTi engine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts