Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering purchasing a 2008 - I have never owned a Peugeot before, but when I talked about the possibility with friends I was greeted with comments like "I wouldn't touch a Peugeot with a stick" and "I wouldn't want one for free". Now I understand that this isn't exactly the best place to ask for an unbiased opinion, but is it "normal" for Peugeot to have a negative reputation? Cheers!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Like all manufacturers you get good cars and some not so good cars.

I've had nothing serious at all with my 2008.

My wife's Peugeot 206 is now 13 years old and hasn't missed a beat in all that time. Prior to that she had a 205 which was also faultless.

My worst ever cars were the 3 Jaguar XJ's that I had over the years. I reckon I spent more on repairs in the 4 years I had the first one than what it cost to buy in the first place.

The Nissan Qashqai I had prior to my current 2008 did more miles back and forwards to the dealer than I actually did driving anywhere in it. I sold it after 2 years.

Prior to that was the Honda Civic which failed and the AA had to tow me 12 miles to the dealer as all the electrics failed. I sold it after 3 years.

PS: Welcome to the club.

PPS: If it wasn't for the fact that we really need a petrol engine I reckon we would have kept with the 2008 for years.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pure prejudice - I don't even drive a Peugeot!

It's a hackneyed old generalisation that's not based on reality. I've been around VW/ Audi for years and have seen loads of issues but people still assume they are 'reliable' - there's a lack of understanding about the difference between actually quality and perceived quality.

Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My current car is a 307cc. Before I bought it I was told the same stories as you were, but I was so impressed by its looks that I didnt bother to listen, and it turned out to be a right decision. I have it for 11 years now and I had no issues with it. The only problem I had is with the windows mechanism, because the cc has no upper frame so all the weight load for the larger window glasses falls only on the mechanism (not a good thing on the bumpy greek roads). It can be permanenly solved though.
My previous car was an Alfa 146. Nice car, my fathee still owns it, but the after sales service was not so good.
My fiance has the 207. It had an issue with the engine after 7 years, but it was easily fixed (it cost 500 euros). Other than that, it runs smoothly.
In general I am very pleased with Peugeot, both as car quality and from their after sales service, so I am currently waiting for my new 2008 to arrive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your reply. I just phoned my mechanic asking him for an opinion about general Peugeot reliability. He told me his personal car is a Peugeot which obviously he couldn't give a better recommendation that that. So, it seems I am going to order one - the automatic 1.2l petrol one.
Another question for people with kids here - is back seat space enough for 3 kids to sit comfortably? When I checked out the car at the showroom it did look a tad small. The reasons I do not, for example consider the 3008 are:

1. 99% of the time I drive alone (to work and back) and it is very rare that the 5 of us in the family use the car together to go somewhere.

2. 3008 is quite big and not great for the small parking slots we have in Malta.

For the same reason as above I have decided not to purchase a Mazda 3 (which is whopping huge at 4.4metres in length).

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
3 kids in the back will have no problem at all with space....and if one of them starts playing up then there's a very large boot area available!! (Only joking!!
).

2 adults and a child would also have room to spare.

My wife loves her 207 and finds that she can park our 2008 just as easily. We have the park assist but she doesn't use it. The front sensors with the Park Assist are very handy though in tight spaces and they activate automatically with the rear sensors and display on the screen.

The 2008 is also a good car for 'driver only' as, although it's slightly larger, it still feels like you're driving a car and not a van in performance, comfort and handling.

Perfect 'all-round' car.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The rear seat is flat across the back so three will fit in fine as there's no 'hump' in the centre, just make sure any car seats they use fit as I suspect it may be limited if you need at least two proper car seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for all feedback, much appreciated!
One more thing, what's the general consensus about the 1.2L e-VTI with Ecomatic Transmission?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everblue said:
Thanks a lot for all feedback, much appreciated!
One more thing, what's the general consensus about the 1.2L e-VTI with Ecomatic Transmission?
I have one since 2 a bit more than 2 weeks now. 1800 Kms so far. Flawless. Also search for my posting "ETG Tamed" elsewhere here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have the 1.2 with auto and find it great,seems last software update fixed the creep

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It does make you wonder whether there is any correlation between the Length of availability of a model and how well it scores. Clearly many problems are not likely to become commonplace until a vehicle is a few years old.

The Driver power survey used to only consider cars at 3 years old but it seems that they have dropped that criteria. I guess this is so that they can rate new vehicles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts