Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
we are seriously considering buying a 2008 and we were after some impartial advice.

so i thought wed join tghe forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi!
Having owned ours for two days now and covered nearly 50 miles, I think I am more than experienced to give you the low down!
Honestly, I have had several new cars over the years and this is the only one to make me smile. It seriously out does the wow factor of the new focus back in 98 when it was launched, and considered extremely futuristic.
The 2008 is exactly what you see, we had a 208 before and whilst not a million miles apart in heritage, the 2008 is by far better. My only whinge is the auto wipers are a bit keen and wipe when not totally needed, other than that it is more than capable in its capacity. Four adults are comfortable, room in the boot for a collie, well laid out ergonomically and excellent on fuel/tax.
If you want to convince yourself that it is a good buy, take a note of the on the road price for the model you want, then pop around to Vauxhall and see how miserable the Astra is for the same money, forget about the Mokka, over 6 month waiting lists for them. In fact, compare the others... Renault, looks like it has melted, Qashqai is aged, despite being given a mild facelift, the Juke? It's a marmite thing. Fords Ecosport I have no experience of so will refrain from offering an opinion.
That's my thoughts for a Sunday, I'm off to drive around in my 2008 now, because I can!

·
Registered
72 Posts
mmm not sure you will get totally impartial , although i will get mine in a few days, i think we are all staunch defenders of our choice.

Having said that how i reached my decision is impartial, with any product you are buying, check out the reviews i will never expect rave reviews from everyone, someone is always unhappy about something. The trick is to see what keeps cropping up as a dislike and is there a consensus that the product is crap.

Therefore i read all the reviews watched all the videos i could find, yes even the foreign ones. This showed that although many reviewers did not rave adoringly about the car none seemed to sl*g it off. The main bones of contention was the performance of some of the petrol engines and the position of the steering wheel, other than that i think it was all down to personal dislikes and minor niggles. including the one with the grumpy woman who moans about it being cramped in the back when she clearly has several inches above her head and lots of leg room.

The engine performance was important to me , i am heavy on the peddle and i will be coming from a 2ltr down so when i took it for a test drive i gave it some welly in the 92 diesel, it was well perky and i was pleasantly surprised but knowing what i am like i went for the 115 diesel, instead of the panoramic roof.

Whilst driving i had no problem with the steering wheel getting in the way of dash, my chevy cuts out the last part and i could never see some of the dash, but this was due more to my 28 stone and having to raise the wheel right up to get over my stomach. I might add before you all laugh at me trying to squeeze into a 2008 i am on a diet and have lost 8 stone so far and i am 6' and had no problem fitting in and getting the right driving position.

Having overcome the most common bad marks i decided to buy, i would add that i would most definitely book a test drive just to get rid (or not) of any lingering doubts, it worked for me.

I have been using motability cars so every 3 years i was getting a new one and although always nice and new within a few days i would find fault, i hope i don't with this as i am paying for this one lol.

Seriously read what the new owners say they all love it, they have some niggles here and there but its all little bits.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
we like the panoramic roof when its good weather , so at the moment the blind is closed and youforget about the panoramic roof , but when its gets better we will open the blind ,if its to sunny maybe have to close it ,at least the choice will be yours
impressed with the 115 diesel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yet to take delivery but did an hour's test drive. I did all the reviews, visited other dealerships, compared specs and the 2008 came out on top. Ford have yet to understand the word economy, Vauxhall seem to be stuck in the year 2000, Nissan's offering is weird and waste,s opportities,the Renault Captured looks hideous and lacks a lot of the features standard on the 2008, Citreon have nothing to offer.
I have parted from my last 207sw (that was a cracking car too) and need something to tote scuba kit, economically, provide a 'platform' for kitting up, while still being worth driving under normal conditions. 2008 ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I will open by saying that I am not impartial. The 2008 is (if I recall correctly) the 9th Peugeot car I have had since 1991 (or thereabouts).

I had to replace my 207 HDi GT because I receive a company car allowance that stipulates a diesel car under 6 years old. I particularly like well specified cars with a quality finish, and I wanted something small. I looked at various options including the Audi A1 Sportback, Seat Ibiza, Clio, Captur, Mokka. The Sportback was very expensive for something with reasonable spec, Ibiza, quite long in the tooth, Clio and Captur underpowered in the diesel and not particularly appealing inside, and the Mokka (even the 1.7 diesel) was pretty underwhelming to drive, plus the windscreen felt like looking through a letter box.

Basically the 2008 ticked all the boxes at a decent enough price. I liked the fact that it was a completely new model, it came in just the right size, and the spec was just right. It's large enough to carry 4 adults in reasonable comfort despite being fairly small, I considered a panoramic roof and leather interior absolute must haves. Other positives are the small steering wheel, which is the car's best feature IMHO.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm impartial as, like you, I am not yet an owner or have one on order.

I love small cars (we've owned my A2 for 9 years, have owned a pair of smart cars and for a small period of time had a second A2) but I now have a young family with a 4 year old son so there has to be some practicality - if Audi hadn't piked-out of the small car market I'd have the second generation A2 but instead we get a conservative Polo in a frock which isn't practical or appealing for us; I'm 6'4" so finding cars that are small with sufficient space behind me (like our A2) has become difficult - we bought a C4 Picasso as the nicest people carrier when having more than one child could happen, but decision made we don't need such a big car.

Our short list has been the C3 Picasso, Captur, Mokka and 2008 - the C3 Picasso is a lovely car but you need to be careful with the spec and I have a feeling it would be worth 50p on 5 years; the Mokka is great but expensive and not clever enough inside, add in the 6 month wait (they come from South Korea so the boat trip alone is 3 months...) and it's out. I love the look of the Captur but the petrol manual is a 0.9tce - it's a fantastic drive but lacks guts and the interior quality is very poor in many areas and too many you see and touch; also the drivers seat is curiously short in the thigh for me. The 2008 has the best interior of the lot, all the right flexibility and comfort and we think they look great - we haven't ordered as I want to drive a 1.2e-THP when it's launched before committing; we aren't in a hurry and I'd rather make the right choice. Downsides? Well, as a family car having electric rear windows missing on half the models, even as an option, is poor and you can't have one in red - if it had electric rear windows a 1.2e-THP 110 Active would be perfect but the Allure might stretch me; one more thing, for the dieselists the HDi engines are substantially more than the petrol when compared to Citroen (same engines) with the 92bhp version being curiously out of kilter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts