Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what is the ideal speed to run the car on its torque band? I am asking this for a 120 diesel manual.. I know the car produces max torque at 1750rpm but is this across all gear ratios?

I am not used to driving a diesel car and end up revving the engine hard which I know is not good for a diesel engine..

Any help/advise will be helpful..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The peak torque is engine speed related so will always be at the same engine speed regardless of gear.

I don't think that revving it hard is particularly bad for the engine but you just don't need to.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Power is a calculation of torque X engine speed, a diesel doesn't need to be revved to get the best from it but in order to get the best acceleration (as opposed to power) it's typically best to work between peak torque and peak power, so you'll get best acceleration at about 2500-3500rpm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I understand, peak torque occurs at 1750rpm and peak power occurs at 3500rpm.. So the most efficient rpm for the engine would be in between these two peak values (confirmed by Frank as well).Some engines are tuned such that the torque/power bands change at different gears (not major change but slight rpm variations) as the gear ratios change.

Power would give me overall higher acceleration, higher speed, etc. while shifting through gears but torque will give better same-gear acceleration (overtaking)..

Basic terms;

Power = High top speed
Torque = Instant acceleration

So in essence, I have to make sure the car is running at over 1750rpm at any point to have a good balance between efficiency and power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts