Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shame they don't do a night shift... how on earth could they produce a vehicle as good as the 2008 with such a useless reverse light?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agreed. I would also vote the 'turn' spotlights as completely useless as well. I keep getting comments that one of my spotlight bulbs is out. They do little to illuminate my turns.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ejohn said:
Shame they don't do a night shift... how on earth could they produce a vehicle as good as the 2008 with such a useless reverse light?

I quite agree but I have seen many other cars with similarly poor reverse lights.

You can improve it with LEDs though: Reverse & Rear Fog light to LEDs

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pilot said:
Agreed. I would also vote the 'turn' spotlights as completely useless as well. I keep getting comments that one of my spotlight bulbs is out. They do little to illuminate my turns.

LEDs would be better but I'm not sure on their legality or if they will work properly although they should be ok with the canbus system. Changing front foglamp/directional lamps

At least it's only at speeds below 25MPH.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
True its a nice feature but if you unlucky to pass a person with a scanner or use when near by he can read signal and duplicate key,anything like that is open to abuse. (These scanners are used by people walking around busy shops are on packed tubes where it can read the new credit cards)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've had the system on two previous cars and liked it very much.
You've got to be very unlucky for someone to know you have an 'Open & Go' key in your pocket and know where you've parked. You canstill lock the carnormally with the 'keyless' key if you don't want to broadcast that you have a 'keyless' system.

I'm moreconcerned about someone breaking intomy home and stealingthe keys.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Totally agree Alan, you have to be the most unluckiest person to get your keys scanned. I know they can do it for a card but I haven't heard of anybody doing for a set of keys.

I remember, I think, quite a few years ago, Ford released their Mondeo with keyless go etc. I bought one as a company car for that feature alone.

It worked fine after a few minor glitches. The Audi's have it now as well. As with all these things they need to be developed, I'd rather trust the Audi system I think than the french version.

Did I ever mention I hate French electrics.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"...Did I ever mention I hate French electrics."

"...It was probably one of those days when the French Electrician was back late from his usually long lunch,"

"...Oh of course, French Electrician, he went to the pub and was late back, thats the part you're waiting for."

I don't know why, but I did have a feeling you were ever-so slightly anti the electrics.

Al.

PS: Yes I did have a crystal set as well......

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have had Peugeot cars (almost exclusively) for the last 25 years, (often two at once) and have not had any real issues with electrics. OK I had one with a electronic ignition problem and two failures of fan motor control, all of which that werefixed fairly easily.

My colleagues with BMWs have way more electrical problems.

(It may help that I am an electronic and comms (radio) engineer so I consider that I am sympathetic to electrical systems.)

Oddly enough most of the other common criticisms I have heard of Peugeots - breaking switches, trim etc have never really happened to me either.

I could be critical of the functionality of the touch screen system and sat-nav etc in our 2008 but I see this as poor design and specification not electrical problems per-se.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ah now then Andrew, now we know who to turn to for advice ref "electrics".

Thank you for sticking your head above the parapet. Yes I suppose to a degree I am being a little unkind to the cars. And you are right to point out my flippancy. I'm pleased to hear that you haven't had too many issues with Peugeot as my better half picks her 2008 up this Friday, so I'll be mightily pleased if I have the same level of reliability.

Many many years ago when I had a Citroen GS Pallas!! (search google) great design, poorly put together, my goodness was it poorly put together.
You were frightened of locking it when you parked up anywhere, in case you couldn't get back in. The beauty of it was, nobody wanted to nick the thing, so it didn't really matter. I'm not talking about a car that was 10 yrs old with 150k miles on the clock, this was less than 8 months old. I remember it well.

You'd switch the lights on, or indicate to turn left or right and the wipers would start. What else, oh yes, it was a semi auto box. You stirred the gear lever thro the normal H pattern, it just didn't have a clutch it was done electronically, heard that somewhere before Alan (Mr Pilot).

Well there times when it was like driving a non syncro box, you had to judge the revs up and down the box to get a smooth gear change, ring any bells Alan....So perhaps you can forgive me my skepticism Andrew.

And this wasn't my only run in with French Electrics. We had a Renault Laguna 2002 Estate, the one with the electronic key, that bit of plastic you stuck in a slot. What a bag of nails. Windows would seize up due to water getting on the winder mechanism, it was after all just an old bicycle cable that rusted thro. Both doors. The electronic key wouldn't work, three plastic cards later we decided it was time to part company. We never knew who the car belonged to. We thought we just borrowed it from Renault because it spent more time in their garage than it did in ours. Its the only car I know that could wear out clutches faster than brake pads.

Did I ever mention that I hate French cars altogether, what I can't understand is why the heck have I bought one.

But I'm willing to forgive and forget, and this Friday we collect said vehicle. If this thing breaks down on the way home......you guys had better be prepared for the onslaught.

Have a good week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts