Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prompted to join Forum by rattling noise appearing on my 2008 - four years old, mileage 41,000.
Thought it might be something looose but local garage had it up on ramp and could not find anyhting visible.
Noise "disappears" at 40mph +.
Thought it was coming from rear of car but passengers think the front!
Thought I would raise this on Forum before taking it to Peugeot garage who do my servicing (due October).
John Hudson

·
Registered
67 Posts
sounds like another car with worn shocks to me - if you have a quick search on this forum you'll find that many of us had the same problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an irritating rattling noise too

Although pronounced at low speeds, I think it is always there but road roar gets in the way.
I first thought it was a loose caliper but like you, the local garage had a look at it and confirmed the brakes, steering, suspension and drive train were all fine. They got so annoyed that they spent another hour on it without charging me.
All to no avail.
The noise remains and sounds like "chattering teeth" or the noise the "Triffids" made in that 1960s film if anyone remembers that. It can be loud and deep or high and febrile.
It does not seem to be affected by bumps or speed or wheel rotation.
I cannot hear anything if I am by the side of the road and the car drives past, or if I hang my head out the window at low speeds.
Has your vehicle been in for it's service - did they find anything?
I am not an expert but it does not sound like worn shocks to me.
It seems to be under the car and near the kerb side front wheel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would have imagined they would have checked the heat shield above the silencer, I had a rattle on my old 3008 that came and went at certain rev ranges and the heat shield was the problem........Worth a check....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Almost certainly it's the front shocks - several on here have had it, myself included at only 25k miles.

Reactions: mcmorj

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Evader - having travelled 200+ miles yesterday, it has to be suspension based and the only moving part I have not been able to assess is the Shock Absorber - everything else is tight as a drum....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok so update on the rattling shock absorbers.
Went to Perrys Milton Keynes and the Mechanical Engineer didn't even get out of the carpark before he announced he knew exactly what the trouble was - front shocks.
He then went on to say they have had "loads of them in" and the Peugeot have moved to a different part. So the repair does not mean you get exactly the same shock that caused the problem in the first place.
The issue affects 2008s and 208s (he went on to say)
I am waiting to hear back if Peugeot will replace the shocks "ex gratia" as my car it out of warranty, but only having covered 20k, leaving this for me to address will result in small claims courts etc.... we shall see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very late update on my 2008 with the rattly which shocks no one could diagnose until it was out of warranty. They finally agreed to an 80% discount on the bill which still left me about £150 out of pocket. Afraid it's the final Peugeot that's ever going to be added to the fleet. it was a pretty dismal showing by Peugeot "customer service". Looking at the recall notices for my car, there was an alarming number of "risk of fire and death" ones. I do hope all those have been addressed as I was assured they were by the garage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking at the recall notices for my car, there was an alarming number of "risk of fire and death" ones. I do hope all those have been addressed as I was assured they were by the garage.
If you type into Google "peugeot fire", then you get about 75 200 000 hits and one row of images.
If you type into Google "bmw fire", then you get about 370 000 000 hits and three rows of images.
I guess there are more Peugeots on the road than BMWs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same rattling noise on my wife's 2016 GTLine and had the front shocks replaced under warranty. That was two out of two GTLines with front shocks replaced under warranty. 16 plate and 66 plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 gt line 66 plate 42k
i have a rattling noise the same as the others.car is going in on monday.problem was reported 3 time under warrenty but that has now run out.i will push for repair under warrenty but am expecting an issue with peugeot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE ON RATTLING
Peugeot diagnosed worn front shocks after telling me it was anti roll bar, They agreed to 100%
goodwill and have replaced front shocks ,mounts etc.Top marks to Peugeot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2008 65 plate have just started getting a rattle noise from near side front I thought it may be antiroll bar bushes but today have got the diagnosis from Peugeot main dealer that it is indeed the shock absorber !
quote for both front shocks £494
They told me to get genuine parts as the parts have changed ( I assume to Fix the fault In them)
I’ve emailed Peugeot now To complain so will see where I get !

·
Registered
97 Posts
The dealer will tell you that, so you spend your money with them!
there are other options, (that have been discussed on here) that could save you money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts