Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us on here seem to be having issues with sticky rear brakes. We experience the same problem - when the car is left for any length of time, the rear brakes seem to stick but release on moving with a little clunk and bit of a jerk.

I popped into the dealer today as I needed to book the black one in for it's 1000 mile checkover and also to pick the accessories that Peugeot still owe me, which will be fitted at the same time.

I asked the service chap (who I have known for a long time and who I trust implicitly) if they could check the brake problem.

He said there was not too much they could do, but promised to get the techs to check the brakes anyway. Bristol Street in Banbury, from where I got the car, is a joint Peugeot/Hyundai dealership. He has worked on the Hyundai service desk too. He said this winter a lot of new cars they have sold (both Peugeot and Hyundai) have had exactly the same issue i.e. left overnight or left all day at work and getting a sticky brake. He said they seem to think the problem is that the brakes sit quite close. In this damp weather we have been getting, moisture gets into the gap and with the heat of the brakes, this is where the problem occurs. I have to say, that might be true to be fair. I don't get the problem at work, but then I reckon I hardly use the brakes on the way in. On the other hand, going home and coming into the estate it is down hill with several junctions, so the brakes could well be pretty warm by the time I pull on the drive.

Anyway, that is the explanation - it is not anything to be concerned about, seems to happen on a lot of new cars where there is little brake wear. But if you are concerned, get you dealer to check over the brakes as mine will next week.

Also asked about the Sat Nav update. He said there are a lot of people waiting for it (208 used the same system?), but no news from Peugeot on when it will appear. He said it may even appear as a download on the internet fopr self install before it appears at the dealers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,

I reopen this post with my problem...I also have sticky brakes, and at a check after 20.000 km, the rear brake disks have heavy marks...usually, the disk is a lot harder than the brake plate, but in this case, seems that the plate is reinforced, as is digging a lot in the steel brake disk.

Anyone have same problem??

My style of driving is not with a lot of use of brakes, my other car witch is a SEAT had changed the disks at almost 100.000 km...this 2008 seems to need a disk change at half of this distance...

I mention that is a 6gear automatik shift.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi George, My car has currently done under four thousand miles and is showing wear in the form of lipping on the brake discs already, I have been advised this is due to the fact that pads are now a lot harder because they don't havean asbestos content any longer This knocks out the discs a lot quicker and apparently they canneed replacing after asecond set of replacement pads.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Stupid eco...Pb and Azbestos should be in brakes, as they must be softer than discs...At next change I will try to find non-eco ones :), maybe find and save money for discs...this is the stupidest green thing...producing brake plates is cheaper and usually more environmental friendly, even with asbestos...to produce stainless steel discs i believe is not so green....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my front discs are really badly scored not happy at all.

It had been in for the wishbone bolt replacement recall and then drove like a dog. Awful. Got the tracking checked by my local independent and he said it was way out. They had forgot to check it. So the dealership had it back in for a complimentary wheel alignment (initially wanting to charge me £34.99!). I was not confident, so took it back to my local independent to make sure it was done correct. While on the ramps he called me over and showed me the inside of the front discs really badly scored. Not scratched, but deeply gouged. I asked if this was normal and he laughed and said "on a six month old car? Normal? No!".

So it is back with the dealer anyway and I have asked them to explain why the damage is there. Initially was told it probably stones. But scoring is too deep for that. And if the brakes cannot protect the insides from stones then it is going to be expensive replacing discs every 6 months. Not acceptable IMO.

Add to that the car is back in once again as they cannot get to the bottom of the dodgy gearbox issue and the ongoing saga of the rear boot protector coming unstuck once again, I am very unhappy at the moment. To the point I might even cut my losses and trade in for a decent car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Car just in for second service and the front pads and discs need replacing already at 28,000 miles - this seems very low to me - anybody had similar problems

·
Registered
79 Posts
Brake wear is determined by how much braking has occurred coupled with the constituency of the brake compound.I've known heavy brakers get through a set of brakes in less than 5k miles. 28k is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was going to say the same. If those miles are mixed driving or a lot of town stuff then 28k seems reasonable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes its my wife's car so she is quite heavy on the brakes etc. and does a lot of city driving. I was a bit surprised with the discs needing doing as well - pads fair enough I suspose

·
Registered
283 Posts
My last Renault was the same, I had to have the brake discs and pads replaced at 26,000 miles. Don't pay dealership 'standard' prices though - I was initially quoted double what I eventually paid (I got them to price match a local tyre garage).

·
Registered
398 Posts
At new "green" brake pads, the disk will suffer after 10-15k miles, as the brake pad does not contain Pb/Azb anymore (instead being softer than disk, is almost same hard). In this manner, the stainless steel disk will be damaged about the same time the pad is damaged...Change pads = change disks (at old Pb ones you change the disk only after 60-70k miles...after 2-3 changes of pads)...
So...now we are Eco, but less productive...what matters...the future is green(ish)... :))))

·
Registered
506 Posts
Madams car has been in for its 32k mile service, not bad in in 10 months but I was surprised that the front discs were worn badly and the pads were down to approx 3 mm.

Bearing in mind that there is a lot of motorway/dual carriageway use in that I would have expected the pads to be worn but not the discs.

The Audi's usually wear the pads out around that mileage and the discs get replaced the the next time the pads are done.

It appears that Peugeot use their discs as sacrificial or as the technician said the pads have a very high content of metal in them !!!!

Funnily enough the rear pads we re replaced at the same time but the discs were absolutely fine, in fact they look as if they've done hardly any mileage at all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would expect the front to always wear quicker than the rear unless carrying a full load, this due to the brake compensator which has a 60 percent front and 40 percent rear setting (approx).

·
Registered
506 Posts
So would I Laurie, but the rear pads have worn out at the same rate as the front. But like I say the discs are fine which probably boils down to the fact that Peugeot use different pad materials.

The front pads are quite aggressive and the rears are quite soft.

The discs are hardly worn on the rear , but the pad that operates on the piston side of the caliper, was almost down to the backing plate (on both sides) whereas the pad on the outside was probably down to within 3/4 mm of the backing plate.

In most circumstances this would tell you that the pins on the floating caliper were sticking but that's not the case.

In fact I was surprised when the dealer rang madam to tell her that the rears needed replacing, fronts at that mileage yes , but rears, no. It never carries any weight......no that's not technically true madam does tend to do a lot of retail therapy when she can, bit like the "shoes and handbag" girls we have on here. But that wouldn't account for the wear rate of the rear pads.

The Audi TT's I've had, have never had rear disc and pads replaced until the mileage has exceeded 50k miles

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tone, I have a (registered 2007) Peugeot 307 HDI which had the front discs & pads replaced at 24k, this was at the first MOT & it stated (advisory) heavily corroded front discs, I did question this but decided to have them renewed with the new pads which needed replacing anyway.
The car I had bought from new and has done 39k so far, the rear discs & pads have never been renewed, I take it for its MOT on Wednesday so will see what happens but I have had a look & they seem o.k.

I think the regular discs are made from grey iron and if vented can corrode (inside vents) quicker than solid, pad material will suit the disc composition, so as not to warp the disc.
It would mean a performance car would have discs manufactured from costlier material, this due to more heat transmitted when braking at high speed etc. of course brake pads would have more expensive compound material, the higher car price of the performance car obviously reflects this.

It would seem it's horses for courses!Edited by: old-yorky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my car in for 2 year service with 25k miles and they told me that the pads and discs need changing on the rear with some scoring on the front right hand side. Totally unacceptable from my perspective and would have thought that it should be covered by warranty. Pads i understand are a wearable item but DISCS (with bearings built into the assembly) really, this is not acceptable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looking back at the original post that started this issue I too on my 2015 crossways edition have the same ‘sticky brake’ sensation when first moving off after an overnight parkup.I believe the issue is well know and mentioned by other Lerner’s in other topics.
Peugout apparently did a brake cover to help prevent this under warranty but when I mentioned to my dealer a year after I got mine they seemed to think it made no difference dispite others saying it worked.Two Year’s on and mine is out of warranty and they will now fit them if I want but will be charged

1 - 17 of 17 Posts