Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extracted from Boot Light to LED thread:

molinari:

Allan I have lost track of how many bulbs you have replaced so far :)
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Did you manage to replace the reverse light too?

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">-----------------------------------------------------------------
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Me:

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">No, I haven't looked at that as it's one of the main bulbs.

I also thought about the STOP light and rear FOG light but I thought I'd wait a while to see after the check-up I have for the car on 26th of this month. There's also the front FOGs but I don't think LEDs there are strictly 'road legal'.

I've only done the W5W replacements at present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
molinari:

I've ordered these bulbs for the rear light:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=331025198748

but I'll wait for your feedback before I attempt to replace the original bulb.
The effect of the these led bulbs should be way better than the filament bulb

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Me:

As you have already ordered these you could start a fresh Thread and do a report (comparison photos as well please
).

They do look ideal*for the reverse and rear fog light and changing them looks straightforward enough.

I'll let you know whether any problems occur with the check over on 26th.

Al.

PS:...*are these CanBus? If not they may not be suitable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Me:

Hi molinari, I don't think those 'lens' type** of LEDs will be suitable for the reverse or rear fog as the bulb holder enters the fitting on the side, not on the rear.

Looks easy enough to remove the bulb holder but the 'lens' of the LED will be pointing towards the side, not to the rear of the car. The reflector may overcome this to a degree but the bulb/LED definitely fits sideways and you may not get the brighter light you are hoping for.

Al

PS: I've just removed and replaced the bulb holder to check. Easy to do in a few seconds, but the bulb will be sideways. You probably will need the 360 degree CanBus type of LED.

** Check version variations dependent upon Country!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan is the reverse light on your car placed under the rear bumper or incorporated in the rear position lights? I ask because the car manual says the reverse light should be placed on the left under the rear bumper while my car has two smal reverse lights in the lower part of each of the rear position lights. I wonder if Peugeot custom configures cars according to the different countries?

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, on one side down by the bumper is the rear fog light and the other is the reverse light. Access is under the rear bumper.

The clear lens in the rear light cluster on the body is the amber turn indicator and on the boot door is just a plain clear lens.

In which case it would seem the LEDs you show may be fine on your version (CanBus permitting).

I wish we had twin reverse lights like you have.

Good point about the different version.

Al.

PS: I've added a caveat to my earlier post.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok I'll have to figure out how to access the rear lights house, that could take some time, I'm not much of a handyman :) in any case the effect of the rear lights is rather weak, hence my plan to replace them

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car rear looks exactly the same.

The clear lens on the body is the turn indicator. But the other clear lens on the boot door is just a clear lens.

The reverse light (I checked mine by selecting reverse and turning on the ignition without starting the engine) is down on the left-hand side of the bumper with the rear fog light down on the right. They both have a red lens but the reverse light is cleverly done with a clear lens and red stripes facing upwards.

This was the style of CanBus LED I was thinking of using but I have a feeling the extra lumens (550 lm for the LED compared with around 400 lm for the standard bulb) will be lost by the sheer bulk of the LED as it is much larger than a clear glass bulb:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-ultimate-canbus-92-smd-led-bulb.html

I don't think there will be much (if any) gain in rear illumination with sideways insertion (providing it isn't too long for the fitting anyway!). With the bigger 'body' it is going to obstruct the reflection I reckon.

Although you mention your reverse lights are higher on the rear door I wonder whether the same housing is used and your bulb also enters from the side?

Al.

NB: I've left the following posted as a warning to be careful when choosing LEDs. They may look the business but they're no good if they don't perform accordingly:

PS: I've just found this alternative available via ebay. It is practically the same size as the standard bulbbut there is no lumen output given and looking at a similar one they claim around 400 lm which is the same as the standard bulb.***

<strike>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Car-1156-382-BA15S-P21W-White-44-SMD-LED-Canbus-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light-Bulb-/330903670888?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0b655068</strike>

PPS: I've asked the seller to qualify the Lumen output but with less LEDs than the Autobulbs one I can't see it being any better than the standard bulb.

PPPS: Just had a reply from the ebay seller and it's only about 170 lm so no good at all!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan I believe the only usable LED bulbs for reverse lights must be built upon the high power CREE LEDs. It's hard to find P21 led bulbs projecting to the side, the closest I have found at a reasoble price is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-CREE-HIGH-POWER-LED-11W-Projector-bulb-1156-BA15s-P21W-Reverse-Rear-Light-/330945397594?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0de2035a&vxp=mtr

It doesn't say anything about the lumen efficiency but the power consumption is 11W which should mean it's a rather powerful bulb, way more than a traditional P21W filament bulb

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now they look interesting.

I think you're right about the CREE LEDs. Definitely need the extra power.

I've emailed the seller to enquire about lumen output.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
molinari said:
P21W means a 21W filament bulb of white colour with an effect of about 400 lumen. This one could be the solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BA15S-12V-24V-4x5W-20W-Cree-Chip-HIGH-POWER-LED-Lampe-wie-P21W-Xenon-Weis-6000K-/251280987481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3a81839559

It spots 5 CREE leds for a total of 500 lumen over 360 degree which should be the effect of a 25W filament bulb. Not a great improvement, still 20% more than the standard bulb

Good find....and 500 - 550 lumens so a definite improvement on the standard bulb.

PS....and a possible replacement for the STOP light?

·
Registered
98 Posts
it could be a valid replacement for the stop light as well. A further investigation led me to some other CREE bulbs of twice the power of the one above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P21W-BA15s-50W-CREE-HIGH-POWER-LED-STOP-CAR-XENON-WHITE-BULBS-RENAULT-/231010105329?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c94677f1

but I'm not sure the CAN BUS system of the 2008 can handle a bulb with a 50W power consumption.If it can, you should get a daylight rear wiew even after dark

P.S. my mistake. It has a power consumption of 8.7W for the equivalent of a 50W filament bulb

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The small print down the page though indicates the use of a resistor when replacing for a 21watt bulb:

*These bulbs are also suitable for vehicles with a CanBus system and can be easily replaced by 5W (R5W) and 10W (R10W).
At 21W (P21W) You need an additional resistance per page.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
molinari said:
Allan I believe the only usable LED bulbs for reverse lights must be built upon the high power CREE LEDs. It's hard to find P21 led bulbs projecting to the side, the closest I have found at a reasoble price is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-CREE-HIGH-POWER-LED-11W-Projector-bulb-1156-BA15s-P21W-Reverse-Rear-Light-/330945397594?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0de2035a&vxp=mtr

It doesn't say anything about the lumen efficiency but the power consumption is 11W which should mean it's a rather powerful bulb, way more than a traditional P21W filament bulb

I've had a reply from the seller regarding Lumens:

HI! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Lumen: approx 750lm
Led Quantity: 4*
COB+1*Cree
Operating Voltage: 12V
Operating Current: 450mA

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">-
csautoled

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">No mention of compatibility with the CanBus system though.
<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
allan40alt said:
molinari said:

I've had a reply from the seller regarding Lumens:

HI! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Lumen: approx 750lm
Led Quantity: 4*
COB+1*Cree
Operating Voltage: 12V
Operating Current: 450mA

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">-
csautoled

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">No mention of compatibility with the CanBus system though.

...and regarding compatibility I've had this reply:

SORRY!
this cree bulb has not the canbus function.but it can put on you
DRL.
If you need the canbus bulb.
you can buy this item
:331014811472
put on you car anywhere In addition the Turn signal
blub.

csautoled

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331014811472?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D331014811472%26_rdc%3D1

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">This alternative is 9W and only 350-400 LM so not worth changing.

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't replace the original bulbs with anything below 600 lm.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That page shows a header of 'White' but further down in the description it mentions Amber?

I tried to find them on the HIDS-DIRECT webpage but couldn't see them listed. They are a bit on the pricey side via ebay.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
it says "<strong style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: normal; : rgb105, 109, 112;">an extremely[/b]
<strong style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: normal; : rgb105, 109, 112;">bright pure white color[/b]

1 - 20 of 133 Posts