Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.6 e-hdi Allure (92bhp)

Well, I've had my 2008 for a few days now and managed to have a few decent runs. Really like it, although I've noticed something which doesn't quite feel right.

When I am driving at say 30 mph following traffic, and not necessarily accellerating, nor cruising......ie, just trying to maintain a steady speed, the car seems to pull as if I've momentarilly touched the brakes then let go....this repeats itself untill I either take my foot off the accelerator and cruise, or press my foot down and accelerate. I could quite easily get sea sickness as the car seem to "rock" backwards and forwards as I'm driving

This is on normal road conditions, so no ice, snow, mud etc etc.

Any ideas guys - is this something I should be bringing to the attention of the garage??

Thanks

Edited by: Debs

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Debs.

Mine drives smoothly at all speeds. Never experience any 'rocking'.

I would mention it to the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine does that, I worked out the following:
Third gear, speed limiter to 29 and it stops it doing this.
In the olden days it was called hunting, where fuel the car was unbalanced at the specific speed to gear ratio, effectively giving little bursts of power and then letting off again making the car momentarily surge.
It's an unpleasant sensation to say the least.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes mine does the same, if it was petrol I would say it was running lean but it's diesel so I also keep it in third for thirty mph.Found it does it worse when it is cold. I suspect it is something to make the car pass an emission regulation in town.

Mac.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clive said:
effectively giving little bursts of power and then letting off again making the car momentarily surge.
That more or less describes what's happening....... doesn't seem right? I'll probably mention it at the first service.

Cheers Guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have exactly the same engine as you debs and mine does this too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's interesting to read that some have the same experience and others don't.

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue and I took it into the dealers today for them to have a look at it. They could find no fault with it - I will send them a link to this forum to show them I wasn't making it up!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
We have an older 1.6HDi in our Picasso and it does the same thing, typically when warm; I think it's just the ECU not being smart enough at certain throttle openings/ engine speeds, I notice it most at about 30-35mph in 4th gear - it's been happening for the last 36k we have owned the car and, touch wood, it has never been an issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Frank,

That's interesting - I assume when you say its not been an issue you mean that it hasn't developed into a full blown 'fault' or let you down.

Unfortunately the fact that it does it at all (on every journey to work and back!) is an issue for me.

Had I read these forums before buying, I probably would have steered away from it. It doesn't sound like something which can be fixed as it appears to be a generic problem with the ECU, so I am stuck with it for the next 3 years (I am on the 'just add fuel' scheme).

Should have kept my old C4 which drove beautifully smoothly!

·
Registered
217 Posts
can you tell me the engine revs this issue begins and the engine revs it stops at when accelerating?

do the revs stay steady or do they jump in correlation with the surges of power?

does this happen when the engine is cold as well or only when it's hot??

the next time this happens can you change down a gear note the revs and see if it goes away please?

can you describe in any detail the sort of motion the car is making, any engine noise being produced, vibrations on pedals or in the cab?

for those that say the're not having this issue do you have 5 or 6 speed transmissions??

·
Registered
34 Posts
jonnyg30 said:
for those that say the're not having this issue do you have 5 or 6 speed transmissions??

I'm definitely getting nothing along the lines of what other have described - nothing at all. I'm driving the 1.6 ehdi, 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
217 Posts
from what im thinking the problem shouldnt show on 6 speeds only 5's

ricaird, is that nothing experienced driving at 30mph in 4th or just not experienced the problem in general??

thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
grahame2323 said:
all's good , no problems , 1.6 , 6 speed
Same here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
5 speed diesel and mine does it at 30 in third. It is as if the throttle becomes very sensitive and the fuel goes on and off to the engine.Mine seems worse before its totally warm but that could also be that I get used to it and stop it myself. I find I can stop it by coming off the throttle completely and reapplying. One or two mph them makes a big difference but the surging will not be totally gone.If you try to ignore it when it starts it seems to get worse to the point it will rock the car as Debs describes.It only does this around 30mph and not always.My petrol Harley does the same on a light throttle due to running lean hence my likening to surging.I tried the speed restricted set at 29 and yes this stops it because I believe the engine is electronically restricting the speed so you just feel it holding back.

Hope this helps.I was going to mention it to my dealer at next service.My wife's older 207 with same engine does not do it at all.

Mac.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts