Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just checking what the service interval is for a 1.6 diesel allure?
My trip computer was set to 12000 miles or one year (which I have now reset). I checked the orginal service book which still states 12000miles, however the addendum leaflet states 16000miles (which Iassume is coorect?)

Funny enough when i reset the service interval it restes to 12000 mile inetrvals

·
Registered
540 Posts
Peugeot/ Citroen recently changed the service intervals on the 1.6HDi from 12 months/ 12,500 miles to 12 months/ 16,000 miles, it depends on the build date though so it's worth checking. Irrespective, there are enough horror stories out there of what happens to the 'DW6' engine if the oil is not changed sufficiently, and from those of us who re familiar with the unit, only a deranged person would go to 16,000 miles. Keep it on the lower mileage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pop in to you dealer and ask them to print you a service schedule. It is an official form that they print from peugeot. They type in your reg so they know the car is correct for the service interval.

I did this because my service light come on at 12K. I went in, he tapped away, printed the sheet which say 16K/12 months. Details the services.

Which reminds, me...... ;)

Happy to scan and post the form here if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Trevor

Could you possibly scan and post said service sheet when you get 5 mins I'd be interested in Peugeot's view of their servicing schedule.

All manufacturers are pushing the envelope today on longer servicing. That's fine if the engine/gearbox mechanical parts were designed and built for that purpose. My TT is a case in kind. The TFSI engine was designed to go on the variable service schedule where the computer diagnoses the vehicles driving and works out when the next service is due but no more than 19k miles. Oils today, especially fully synthetic are capable of surviving to this mileage, but only just. Being one of the old school where we used to put oil in engines made from recycled chip oil, I still change my oil at 9k miles.

But as mentioned, this engine will demolish its oil, just because of it's design, in around the 10k-12k mark. So it would be prudent to change it then.

thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Tone

Scan attached.

You can get this from your dealer - they personalise it for your car. As you can see, the VIN is in the top right.

Definitely says 16,000 and that is also what my service plan is based on.

I will get the opinion of the Service Manager though when I speak to him this week. My car is in for a 'double flywheel/clutch' replacement, so I should speak to him or see him at some point this week and get his thoughts.

Trevor

uploads/17/service.pdf

Edited by: TrevorB

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Trevor,

That's great thanks.

I've checked the maintenance and warranty handbook for what they actually do. Funny how they recommend changing a pollen filter before they would change the air filter 36 months later.

I wonder how may check their pollen filter is done when it comes back.

Anyway all the best with that.

And once again thanks for your cooperation in scanning said document sheet.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've normally found that dealers seem to make a big deal out of changing the pollen or compartment filter when describing work that has been done or is to be done - As if to justify substantial extra charges. Of course we know that replacing it takes no more than a few minutes and these are typically not all that expensive either.

Frankly I never really understand a reluctance to change filters, when paying £70 an hour for labour, a couple of £20 filters really doesn't make all that much difference. In all services the air filter housing has to be opened up anyway.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your right Burty, why would you not change the air filter at a major service.

20k -24k is about right for an air filter, but 36k it will like sucking air thro a straw it'll be that clogged up.

Bean counters again making it look like a valuable proposition to the fleet manager.

This of course also means that in its later life when the car is being serviced on a Sunday morning on the drive said owner happy to keep the servicing on schedule will be looking to change air filter for instance at 36k miles. he'll pop along to his local parts store and pick up a replacement filter which will be cheaper but just not as well made as the Peugeot one at 3 times the price. What Johnny Mechanic doesn't realise is that said pattern filter will be totally useless in less than 20k miles probably and be causing more damage than if it didn't have one at all.

There was an issue with some pattern part oil filters a few years back. They were actually for the Peugeot / Citroen engines. If my memory serves me right, they were blocked in less than 6k miles never mind 16k miles.

Stick, where possible to genuine parts, its false economy not to. If you must buy non OEM parts buy those that are a well known brand.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Our DS4 1.6HDi is on the old service intervals, 12,500 miles and 12 months - the air filter is at the 2nd service, 25k and 2 years (well, 21k in our case) - this used to be at the 37.5k/ 6 year point on the old 12.5k/ 2 year intervals...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris.

See, here is a classic case of giving the fleet managers what they want, and in doing so sell more cars, which you can forgive in this cut throat business.

Extending the service schedule means less services in the life of the company vehicle, and makes for good figures in the servicing budget. Unfortunately further down the line when they are three years old or more unsuspecting buyers are now taking ownership of a vehicle which has not got a very sound service history.

Taking the Audi Service Schedule as an example, and you Chris will be aware of this with your A2. My TT's have two servicing regimes. If the owner does less than 9k miles per year he will have a fixed service every year If he tends to do a higher mileage, as in my case, you can opt for the Flexible Service Schedule which is every two years or 19k miles.
So in this instance does that mean if I cover 9k miles i Service my car at 9k which is pretty good. But if I do 11k miles a year I can go another 8k miles before I need a service. Can you see where I'm coming from. All of a sudden, for a couple of thousand miles per year more, I've eked out an extra 8k before I need to change the oil.

Needless to say even tho' I average 35k per year I have an oil change at 9k regularly.

If its a new engine design and its built to cope with extended service schedules fine. But I bet, and this is true of some of the German engines, and I wouldn't imagine that the French Diesel engines are any different, no matter how good they are, and I know they are good, were suddenly capable of doing another 4k miles without any detriment to the oil.

For followers of my rantings on here, some I might add are justified, others, tongue in cheek, will realise borne out thro past experience of owning three previous Citroen Models (GS Pallas & two CX's) and one Peugeot (505 GTi). I have a loathing for anything French, especially French Electrics.

But as pointed out on here, things are a changing and I'm willing to forgive and forget. With the new car imminent, to protect it's warranty it will need regular servicing. That's OK, no problem with that. But I for one will probably be slipping in a oil and filter change around the 8k mark.

Just as a point, I dropped into the dealer yesterday to sign some paperwork in readiness for tomorrows collection. And I asked if it would be serviced before we picked picked it up, even tho' it's only 6 months old and only done 2000 miles. In fairness he did say yes, they can do that and give it a 65 point check, ensuring its not due a service for the next 12 months or 16k miles.

Top marks for that Mr Dealer, off to a good start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts