Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :) Not an owner (yet), but we're considering buying either the 1.2 auto or Kia Sportage. We like that Sportage is supposed to be safer, but we don't like the fact that it's more expensive and that we can't afford the auto.
We're in Cyprus and still haven't gone for a test drive yet, as there aren't any 1.2 auto available at the moment. However, we've been reading reviews, and apparently the 1.2 auto isn't that recommended for the highway. We'll be using it both in the city and on the highway sometimes, e.g. for distances of 80 km each way, going at 120 km/h. We've read reviews saying the handling is very bad in such cases, and it's not economical at all either (the auto has a four speed semiautomatic gearbox???) and that we should wait for the turbo 1.2, but does anyone know when will that be released?

Also, does anyone know if we should expect the turbo to cost more?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Mally

If you have a look around you will find a few posts under my name about the car you are considering. I had this car but swapped it recently due to issues I had with the egc. Other people do not seem to have had the problems I had so it could be I was just unlucky with the one I had. That said I think most people with egc have the diesel model, the 1.2 petrol version only came earlier out this year.

I had the car in France for 3 weeks and found it handled fine on the autoroutes. I didn't go above the limit much (110 kph) but it had a bit more when needed to overtake. I won't say it had great acceleration at this speed but it was enough for me. Its all a bit subjective I guess - if it helps my previous car was a RAV4 (2004) and I would say the 2008 was a more enjoyable drive.

The egc has 5 gears (the conventional auto has 4) and includes a full auto mode. You can also change gears with the gear lever or paddles which worked well and was very useful in certain circumstances.

I'd make sure you test drive one though. The full auto gear change is a bit quirky (see other posts) but you can adapt your driving 'style' to the point you hardly notice it.

If mine hadn't had the noise issues mentioned elsewhere I would have kept it. All I can say is watch out on that front. I still have a 2008 but have reverted to manual having had auto cars for a long time. I think the car itself is really good, well kitted out and and it suits me fine.

I don't know anything about the turbo models other than they have been pending for a long time. Hope this is some use to you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Peugeot France told me the turbo engines would be introduced in July.
Previously I was told April so don't rely on it.
I am going to contact them again to see if they can give me an update.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I gave up waiting for the 1.2 e-THP (turbo!) and bought a different car but as your brief is an auto 2008 then I would wait; I liked the 1.6VTi when driving it and found the car to be entirely stable and in every way a pleasure but it was a bit short-geared for the motorway so we decided against it; somebody will be able to confirm what engine speed the auto is doing on the motorway. However the 1.2e-THP auto will be a 6-speed box (it is on the 308). As for price looking at the 308 it appears the 110bhp version of the 1.2e-THP (there is also a 130bhp version) will be priced alongside the 1.6VTi.

Where you are now it must be coming soon, I was told that the launches for the 4th quarter (October) will be announced mid-June.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,
I have 1.6 HDI 6 speed EGR, working great.
In no case I would change for MT...
No whining, no whispering, all working OK :)
Now have 23.000 KM already...

·
Registered
540 Posts
We bought a used Citroen DS4 - despite wanting a 2008 petrol we went for a diesel one as after driving the 1.6VTi 2008 (same engine in the petrol DS4) we decided that in the heavier car a diesel would help. Had a 2008 1.2e-THP been announced for order in late winter/ early spring we'd have bought one - we did sit down and debate a 1.6VTi Allure in Spirit Grey, Oxford Black, Heated seats and 17" wheels which would have been fine for biffing about with most of the time but was a bit too short geared for the motorway trips to the in-laws and France. Buying a 9 month old DS4 saved a few quid too, and the massage seats are simply wonderful!

I still like the 2008 and in a few years might get a used one as my daily driver to take the strain off my 'keeper', the A2, hence keeping my eye in here - it's a good looking car and there's so much to recommend it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ye I am just getting bored of waiting =C, The car I would really like is the new Juke but it just does not have the space for our family =C

So eagerly awaiting these flipping turbo engines lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts