Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh I am so frustrated. I just want my car!!!

I had my first view at a preview evening on May 21st (liked it a lot but wanted a test drive before ordering) and then had to wait another month before the test drive on June 22nd. I placed my order that day...... the Peugeot guy at the test drive (not the dealer people) told me late July/early August as I would be in the first batch as I had ordered early - I was the first at the dealership to order one.

Heard nothing so chased the dealership and they said September (not July/August) but had nothing solid like a build date or delivery window that you others seem to be getting.

Now I'm waiting....... frustrated. I just want my car please!

The most frustrating thing is that every time I turn in the TV I see the advert. I went to the pictures last week and saw the advert again! Seeing a lot of the R*****t C****r adverts too.

And today, to add to my frustration, I was driving home, pulled up at a roundabout and saw this car (I have been finding myself looking at new cars on the road that are similar to the 2008 for a while now) and thought to myself "that looks nice"........ it was a 2008! LOL! And blow me if 10 mins later I saw another............. argggghhhhhhhhhh! So some people are having them delivered. Anyone on this forum who has picked theirs up already live nr Oxford?! It might have been you I saw!

It seems like forever since I first registered to go to the preview evening and seems I have to wait even longer. I am going on holiday for 2 weeks once the kids are all back to school in September, I hope I have the car by then.

Anyone else sharing my frustration?!

Edited by: TrevorB

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yes......and if it was the kids getting excited weeks before Christmas you would be saying...."I's no good keeping on....It's not going to get here any sooner....."

But I share your frustration.....where is it....oh, I know;.....mine is currently crossing the Channel to Sheerness!

I placed my order on 18th June and my dealer told me to expect delivery around 20th September.

Then he gave me a build date of 26th July, but on the 26th July he told me it was already built and at Calais awaiting a weekend crossing to Sheerness.

Maybe your dealer also has some good news for you as my ready for collection date is 10th - 14th August now so you never know....good luck....

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I am truely gutted.

Having been chasing the dealership now for a week or 2, I have been told my 2008 won't be delivered until November, at a push maybe late October. I order this car on the 21st June - that means November will be 5 months from when I placed the order. Even then, they hardly sounded convinced.

I was furious - I am so angry.

I just do not understand.

Their excuse is that because of the extras, it is a 'special build' and Peugeot are building only basic models first with no extras.

Well, that is not the impression I get from these forums. Most people on here are having exactly what I am having i.e. sat nav and park assist. I can't believe an automated production line in a modern factory cannot deal with 'special builds'. It's ludicrous!

Argghhhhhh. So, so angry.

But I do not know what to do. If I cancel and re-order from anothger dealer it will be that kind of timescale I am sure.

You know, I honestly think they forgot to order it. At the time they said they couldn't put it on the system yet as they did not have the ability as it was not setup. When I rang about 3 weeks ago, I spoke to a different salesman and he said 'oh, I can't find that on the system'. When I queried that he said that it 'must be on the other system that he doesn't have access to'.

Sorry to vent off on here, but thought it a good a place as any amongst '2008' friends.

Any else have this kind of problem before I rant at the Sales Manager at the dealership?

Or if there is anyone out there who knows a dealership where I can get one for the start of September? I am going to Scotland the last 2 weeks of September and don't trust my 207 with it's dodgy head gasket to do the 500 miles and 500 miles back.

Maybe I should look at buying something else...............

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Trevor.

Well you really have been let down by your dealer and, I suspect, lied to about the reason for the delay; especially when you look at the extra's on mine. That shows they are not just building 'basic' models first.

I don't know whether my dealer can help but ring Matthew at Wycliffe, Rugby (01788 562731).

Matthew is a rare find as he is honest and gives straight answers. We've known him for years.

They have several salesmen there, but make sure you speak to Matthew.

Last time I visited they had three 2008 in the showroom, one of which was locked as it had just been sold. There were also three outside, one demo and two awaiting collection.

Good luck.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Al

Thanks for the reply and the contact details. Rugby is not so far away actually, only about 30 miles up the A5 - I'm in Brackley (South Northants).

Just spoke to Perry's too over iun Milton Keynes which is about the same distance - salesman there said he was suprised I had been told that. They are going to see what they can do and give me a call later or tomorrow.

If I don't get any joy there, I will give your chap a call.

At the moment, I feel like walking into my dealer and saying "stick your 2008".

Thanks,

Trevor

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not fussed - it arrives when it arrives. It's not worth having an aneurysm over a mere car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pardon?! I'm sorry Don, but I disagree on principle - you don't have all the facts to make such a flippant comment as that.

I think you miss the point. I paid money and ordered a car in good faith - I had been talking to the dealer for several months about the car before purchasing and every couple of weeks since. But it appears the salesman messed up and never placed the order. 2 cars for people who ordered at the same time as me have already been delivered. I was misled by the salesman, who's boss admitted today when we discussed this at length that I should have already taken delivery of the car but the car was just not ordered (in fact it wasn't ordered until last week). He became suspicous himself as he could not understand why my car was not delivered while the other 2 were and he said he remembered taking my photo next to the demonstrator as the first to buy a 2008 through their dealership. So he was not happy either.

If the saleman had been honest with me from the start, I "would not be fussed either". But I do not like being lied too. Twice in fact - I was told the car was ordered and would be delivered. Was then told the delay was because the 'extras' slowed the build. Both were wholly incorrect. The Sales Manager today (who was honest and frank with me and is now who I will be dealing with) told me the extras made 'no difference' to the build as I suspected all along.

He is now going to go out of his way to try to source a car for me to the same spec and see what can be done about the build if not. But does not hold out too much hope.

So, of course I am angry. For a start, ordering in June should have been plenty of time to get the car delivered in time for my late September holiday. I now have to drive to Scotland in a 207 with a dodgy head gasket, something I didn't think I would have to do when I placed the order for the 2008.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No one is being flippant, thank you very much. With all the death, suffering and illness in the World there's something slightly unsavoury in westerners throwing their teddy over a consumer item. My vie..is a philosophical one, not one base sarcasm or flippancy.

Ive paid for mine too, all bar my trade- in which I'm still using. Mine gets here when it gets here, and I'm nit all this fussed. It's a car, an expensive and necessary pain in the arriss. Try as I might I just can't get excite over it in any way, shape or form.

Sorry to hear you're upset and frustrated. If high blood pressure is your thing then you go for it, but I'm pretty chilled. Your salesman sound like a nob, but you can get as angry as you like and only 2 things will happen - you'll be closer to a heart attack and he'll still be a nob. It's just a car, and if anything not as nice as our current one, and short of the dealer saying the manager has run off with my payment then there's no way its likely to get me angry. I save emotions like that for important stuff like when I was diagnosed with skin cancer, like when my wife was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.It's a chuffing car fer chrissake. If that's all there is in your life to get in a froth over then you're doing pretty darn well.

BTW, i usually fly to Scotland (I was born in Shetland) cos it's cheaper than the petrol and about 75% quicker. You live about 10 miles from me so I'd imaging it'd be cheaper for you too.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I think we probably differ there Don, yes it is just a car and yes there are millions of people in a much worse position than us but that is the way of the world. I don't think that should stop us enjoying personal possessions or getting angry at poor customer service.

I donate to charity and do my bit but also work hard for the money I've got and want to spend it on stuff I enjoy and not get messed around in the process.

It's good to take stock once in a while and appreciate how lucky we are, but it's also good to let it all out, even if it is just to vent a bit on here...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, I'm not going to get into a debate about what makes us angry and what degrees of anger we experience in our lives, that is not really a debate for a car owners forum. I was just trying to state that I was 'disappointed' which led to 'anger' about the fact I had been un-necessarily misled - it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a car, a house, a tin of beans from Tesco or any other product you care to mention - I don't particularly like dishonesty. Had I been treated that way in any other circumstance I would have felt the same. And I would not dream of doing the same to any customer of the company I work for. Buit is it any wonder Car Salesman get a bad name?!!

I agree your cirucumstances have led you to be angry about things in your life. You are not alone in this, I have experienced personal/family things in my life that have made me angry too. I'm sure we all have. So please don't think that you are unique in that respect.

My post wasn't meant to compare material possessions to life events. Sometimes in life you need a litle 'pick me up'. All ours lives are tough for one reason or another, perhaps we work hard or for any number of other reasons. We all work hard and it's nice to feel some reward. In my case, it's been a tough year one way and another and I had just finished a 19 day continuous stint at work covering holidays when it was the test drive days and it was nice to be able to walk into the showroom and place an order for a car I had been looking to buy since the Motor Show previews.

So of course I was angry/disappointed - call it what you like. Maybe you don't get excited about cars but I'm sure there are things that you do look forward to. Holidays maybe? Imagine arriving at the airport only to be told someone had forgot to book you on the plane. Would it be 'oh well, it's only a holiday, we can go some other time'?!

Anyway, like I say, I doubt we will ever agree on this - but that's a good thing! We don't all want to be clones. So let's just agree to disagree. You don't know me or my situation as I don't know yours. So I don't think it was particularly fair to make the comments you did. But that is just my opinion and you have yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think you handled the situation with the salesman really well, i'd have punched him on the nose and took my business elsewhere
I just hope they treat you better when you finally get your car

·
Registered
193 Posts
Snap, although it might have been a verbal punch
. Like most things in life we expect honesty and if I do not see that what is the dealer like and will they even service the car when you get it. If you do not get a good feeling that this is just one muppet of a salesman walk elsewhere. Plenty of good dealers out there.

Mac.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mac2008 said:
Plenty of good dealers out there.
Really?

I wasn't happy with the sales approach in my dealer so I ordered my car through a broker.That said I have little respect for my local dealer because of the way they handle servicing, so that may have an influence.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This will be my first Peugeot after having 5 Renaults. I test drove the Captur first and thought it was ok but Renault didn't offer me a very good deal, i had always liked the 208 so when the 2008 was available for a test drive i duly obliged and loved the car. The dealer i dealt with didn't give me any hard sell and was very helpful though out the car buying process and to top it all gave me a much better deal than the Renault dealer did. So yes from my experience there are some good dealers out there

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the past ten years I have known my dealer they have been exceptional. Sorting issues and at times dealing with Peugeot on my behalf for a warranty issue. They either lend me a car at no cost when servicing and I have even had the service manager come and pick me up. They salesman is an older gent and a true gent at that. Hence they have my trust. When my wife's car, a couple back, was being part exchanged it was one we had not bought there. The day before picking her new one up the dealer found that her car had been written off on the insurance database. The salesman called me next morning and said when are you picking up your wife's car and to quote, 'we have serviced this car for five years so it is obviously an error, come and get the new one and we will sort out the issue before we sell it'.

That sort of service I hope is not unique out there, and just in case your thinking I am to trusting I have threatened at least one dealer with legal action after an independent report......

It is just a case of finding the good dealers and forums like this can be good for that as in spreading the good and bad experiences.

Mac.

·
Registered
311 Posts
John2202 said:
This will be my first Peugeot after having 5 Renaults. I test drove the Captur first and thought it was ok but Renault didn't offer me a very good deal,

I had a test drive with a Renault dealership and they offered me a terrible part exchange

I wonder if that is just normal with them, and I thought the Captur has a small boot although I really liked the washable seat covers and sliding back seats

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This may surprise you all, but I will actually defend the dealership despite the problems I have described.

I have used them for many years now, having owned 5 Peugeots. Servicing as well as car buying, although this is my first new car with them.

Servicing and repairs have always been first class. For example, my last repair was a thermostat housing split leaking water everywhere. This was a Friday night before a bank holiday weekend. I rang the Service Manager and luckily they were still open, He said to get the car recovered to the garage on the Saturday morning and they would take a look. When I got there, the workshop was half closed for maintenance. Bear in mind this was a Saturday and it's almost impossible to get booked in on Saturday at the best of times. But, to their credit, they promised they would try their best to get the car back on the road. They did not have the part in stock but sourced one at a local Motor Factors and went and got it. Fixed the car and I was back on the road for Bank Holiday.

But I genuinely do not think the Sales Manager had any idea what had been going on - with hindsight I should have gone to him sooner. He was genuinely embarrassed on behalf of the business. But I naively believed the Salesman and his reasons for the delays. In all honesty, I think he just got himself in a hole and did not know how to get out of it and rather than asking for help, he just dug himself a deeper and deeper hole and was eventually found out.

Since the problem came to light, the Sales Manager has tried his best to rectify the problem. He tried (unsuccessfully sadly) to source a car from other dealers. He offered me a car for my holiday, which I declined but the thought was there. And now he is talking to Peugeot to see what can be done about expediting the build and getting the car here asap. And we have negotiated an accpetable level of compensation.

So I do not hold this against the dealership, and would happy to continue using them. I just think this was a case of one, young salesman getting out of his depth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi jinxx80 my past experiences with Renault have been really good but for some reason this time just couldn't get a deal with them!! Thought it might have been something to do with the Captur being a new model and they were hoping to sell at top dollar all they could get hold of, well for me it was a nice car but the 2008 just looked a better quality car all round

·
Registered
193 Posts
John, Jinx, agreed all round. Went to Wilton Supercar yesterday and Peugeot and Renault both had their ranges on show through same car group. Salesman said Renalt had definitely aimed at a more gimmicky young market, his words not mine, Peugeot had continued to go with more of a premium feel to win buyers over but if you want bright colours you can order the trim.As the two models were yards apart it was the first time I could compare side by side.

Yep happy I made the choice.

Trevor I know of an unsold brown 1.2 that the local dealer cannot sell but it sounds like you have yours well in hand.

Mac.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I definitely like the quiet sophisticated look of the 2008. It does have a feel of being a mature (dear I say it) sensible choice.

Okay. Now I feel old, my apologies to the older members amongst us.

Now I am seriously considering those lime green stick ons

1 - 20 of 22 Posts