Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just been told Peugeot also falsified data on emissions using doctored software, anyone else heard this or am I being wound up

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just reading about it in paper, seems BMW,Mercedes are at it as well, according to paper Peugeot also doctored the mpg figures, after tests the show actual use is 47% higher then manufactures figures

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
None of this is new. We've known for years that car fuel consumption in the real world is different to that of the tests.

Details of the scheme is given here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

I'm sure we have all read the bit in bold before:

<h3 style="font-size: 0.8em; margin-bottom: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">IMPORTANT NOTE</h3>The fuel consumption figures quoted in this guide are obtained under specific test conditions, and therefore may not necessarily be achieved under ""˜real life' driving conditions. A range of factors may influence actual fuel consumption - for example, driving style and behaviour, as well as the environment and conditions under which the vehicle is operated. Furthermore, since several different specifications (variants or versions) of a given model may be grouped together in the list, the figures used in this guide should be treated as indicative only.

Whether the vehicle manufacturers have been dishonest
depends what the requirements are of the EU directive, is it to pass the specified tests or to meet some other criteria? If it's to meet the requirement for the test then the directive may be at fault if the intent is apparently for something else, if it's to meet other criteria then quite simply the specified tests are at fault. Neither is really the fault of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
True we all know you never get that mileage, but think the point here is by how much they are out

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mik207 said:
True we all know you never get that mileage, but think the point here is by how much they are out

That may be true but I am not convinced many people with experience of a new car would be that surprised. If the worst of the cars are using 50% more fuel than they do during the tests then that means a 60 mpg test result would result in 40 mpg in the real world. Which I doubt is much of a surprise. Bearing in mind that this represents the worst results too.

If it's a problem and the purpose of the legislation is to achieve similar real world figures as those demonstrated during the tests, then the tests are clearly not fit for purpose.

What is 'Extra Urban' anyway?

My own 2008 is quoted as 60 mpg in tests for Urban, but I would be hard pressed to get much better than 45mpg (and could quite easily get much less). The brochure states 78mpg in 'Extra Urban' and I have achieved 80mpg on a decent motorway run, hanging out with the trucks *yawn*. But in practice it normally gets around 60mpg , which is not that bad compared with the 78mpg given that conditions are never going to be identical.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is worth a look to see mpg some are getting : http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/peugeot/2008-2013<div ="drop-hint"="" id="drop-to-share-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="share-btn-"=""></a><a ="btn-s"=""></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble"="" id="drop-hint-bubble-share" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHintBubble.png; -size: 253px 79px;">

<div ="drop-hint"="" id="drop-to-search-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="search-btn-"=""></a><a ="btn-s"=""></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble"="" id="drop-hint-bubble-search" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHintBubble.png; -size: 215px 79px;">

<div ="drop-hint" id="drop-to-share-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="share-btn-"></a><a ="btn-s"></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble" id="drop-hint-bubble-share" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToShareHintBubble.png; -size: 253px 79px;">

<div ="drop-hint" id="drop-to-search-hint" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHint.png; -size: 67px 327px;"><a ="search-btn-"></a><a ="btn-s"></a><div ="drop-hint-bubble" id="drop-hint-bubble-search" style="display: none; -: chrome-extension://cipmepknanmbbaneimacddfemfbfgpgo/s//dropToSearchHintBubble.png; -size: 215px 79px;">

Edited by: Sumpong

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Appears to be within around 20% of the test figures, on the whole.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ya love to know where they got 48% higher figure from, my 1.2ecg given me around the 55mpg so lm happy with that

·
Registered
316 Posts
Remember Beryl 2008 little bit heavier compared 208 so that's the be expected, anyone see the new 3008?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, better looking front than before.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
WilmF said:
Yes, better looking front than before.

It would be difficult to make it worse. The original 3008 is pig ugly from pretty much all angles.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Agree with Burty...the 3008 looks totally ugly...maybe better than Skoda Yeti and Fiat, champions at ugly models...but still I would buy it only for functionality, never for look. Looks likean unfinished car...

·
Registered
316 Posts
It would be difficult to make it worse. The original 3008 is pig ugly from pretty much all angles.True bunty but from underneath their all much the same lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts