Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can you tell me (ok this may be a stupid question) if I can buy a spare wheel from anywhere and put it into my spacesaver?

I've checked the whole Peugeot website and I cannot find a price for a spare wheel. And I'm sure when i enquire it'll be expensive.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The 'Space Saver' is a lot thinner than a standard wheel and, although the wheel + tyre overall diameter is the same as a normal road wheel, the S.S. wheel itself is a smaller diameter with deeper walls on the S.S. tyre.

Usually when you fit a S.S. on the car you are limited to 50MPH.

I doubt a full size wheel and tyre will fit in the available space under the boot tray but I could be wrong.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so a space saver is actually a tyre?

I thought it was just a space shaped like a tyre. Feeling like a donut now, sooo I don't need a tyre then, because it already has one.

Thanks Al

·
Registered
193 Posts
I asked my dealer last week to check this out, as in will a full size spare also fit, as soon as I get a response I will post the answer. I know when I looked in the showroom the space saver looked lost with room to spare.

Mac. Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
155 Posts
A single wheel will be around £400 from the dealer, plus the cost of a tyre though a 207 wheel of appropriate size could be used for less, though it wouldn't be a cosmetic match.

Fundamentally, space savers are clever. Lighter, so you're burning less fuel lugging it about, and it encourages the owner to get the problem sorted and the proper wheel refitted, whereas with a normal spare the temptation is to not be bothered and drive about with no working spare. In our 7 day trading culture you can get the three replaced or repaired any day of the week, so need not have it in use for more than the time it takes to drive to a tyre outlet. Unless you're journeying abroad it really isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You can see a variety of 'Space Saver' wheels here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/peugeot-space-saver-wheel

Some are old and look a bit tatty but it gives you an idea how they differ from your normal road wheels. They are usually made from pressed steel.

You can also buy bags to put the punctured tyre and wheel in, after all, it will be very dirty when you take it off. Keeping some of those fuel filler gloves from the forecourt with the S.S. is a good idea (or some hand cleaner) as your hands will be dirty and you still have to drive after changing the wheel over.....or just press the S.O.S.** button for assistance.

**That's if you are elderly, disabled, or a woman. Men don't need any assistance as they can do it even without reading any of the instructions of how to do it!....

Al.

PS: There may be enough depth for a full size wheel and tyre as you can see in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlb_H3wv9VY

You get a quick look at the spare in-situ at 3:31 . It's only a quick look so be ready to pause it.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al, Don, many thanks. Al I see what you mean by pausing it looks as though one could fit. Don I prefer a real spare as often drive into north west Scotland. They often do not have a 24/7 culture in the remote parts and it is often a long way to reach a tyre place or anything else come to that. It has cost me a lot before in having to ring ahead and get them to order a new one in case they cannot repair mine and I ended up paying for it even though mine was probably repairable. Just couldn't take the risk, and all at 50mph.
I might even put the tyre protection gunk inside mine anyway as that has come along way in recent years.

Mac.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't use the gunk if your model has TPMS. If you think the risk is that real then it might be worth buying another genuine rim, but they are in the region of £400 plus tyre. I holiday in Shetland a lot (i was born there) and driving my big 4x4 with the space saver never worries me, or worries the people that live there with modern space-saver equipped cars.

Remember to pack a rubber or hide mallet, and make sure the hubs are all smeared with moly anti-seize at the first service - nothing worse than needing to change a wheel in the rain only to not be able to knock it off the hub due to electrolytic corrosion.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks Don, do 2008's have TPMS? I didn't realise, and must have missed that. It will be good though as I have it on a motorcycle and is handy.
Cheers Mac.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
allan40alt said:
PS: There may be enough depth for a full size wheel and tyre as you can see in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlb_H3wv9VY

You get a quick look at the spare in-situ at 3:31 . It's only a quick look so be ready to pause it.

It does look like there may be enough space for a full size wheel.

That said, personally I am not bothered about using a spacesaver. In the last 30 years I've only had to replace a wheel whilst on a journey once and that was because I took a 1" chunk out of the sidewall of my tyre on the curb on a petrol forecourt. I can forgo a full size wheel on those odds.

I would not want no spare at all though.

That said I have no spare on my motorbike, I carry a repair kit and despite having had numerous punctures I've never failed to get home or to a tyre shop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
All just back after a a business trip. Dealer confirmed that 17 inch wheel will not fit anyway. So spacesaver it has to be.

Mac

·
Registered
74 Posts
Put the space saver wheel onto the o/s rear today and drove around to discover that using a space saver on the back end of Humpty has two undesireable effects.

Firstly the steering, even at low speeds is noticeably different.. the car handles as if its still being driven on a punctured wheel..(had before checked s/s pressure at recommended 4.2 bar). So I certainly also would not enjoy driving any great distance nor consider exceeding the 50 mph with the space saver .
Differing suspensions probably, but never suffered this gross handling problem when using the Ford space saver of the previous car - a C-max

Secondly - would you believe - the sat nav becomes unstable... car position arrow becomes 'lost' heading right off the mapped roads when you turn a corner, and occasionally even heading in the 'wrong' direction. Only a matter of a few hundred yards out max. - but truly disorientated nonetheless.
Intrigued by this I then tried replacing the alloy - and was pleased to see the sat nav went back to normal - so then tried switching back the space saver, this time to the n/s rear position... and again the sat nav returned to being unstable..

If only those Peugeot Alloys were not so very expensive -

Here's some better news however - You should be able to get your Peugeot punctured wheel into the space-saver boot well - here is a photo of a new 8mm tread fully-inflated 195/60 R16 tyre'd original equipment alloy wheel snugly sitting in the back of Humpty - the tool tray drops in easily though you'd have to push the wheel's centre cap out (easy) if you wanted to safely screw the fitting and wheel securely down.

The grey styrene forming becomes lifted a little from its space saver
covering position , but carpeting etc drops back so use of the luggage
area is still possible - though perhaps an inch less available height..
No doubt if you plan to travel with a full size spare to replace the
space saver, then a little underneath judicious carving of the grey
styrene would allow the floor level to sit flush again.

However were you are tempted to ousting your space-saver for a full size alloy spare then another problem may soon arise - If one of the uni-directional Goodyear M+S tyre'd wheels were to be replaced by a non tyre-matching spare wheel how safely would the 2008 handle? . The car can feel very unbalanced using the s/s wheel and perhaps using differing tyre types on one axle would also cause that effect.
In my short ownership experience I have found the 2008's fast open-road handling quality has already been compromised by the Peugeot's M+S tyre choice - though little doubt that's reasoned as acceptable to get those outstanding lower speed grip-control advantages.

So please get some professional tyre-match suitability choice advise before you try a miss-matching tyre on a full size fitted alloy spare-wheel when your Peugeot's been fitted with unidirectional M+S tyres.

Hope that helps... sure gave me a bit of concern here..

Might be worth trying one of your 17" wheels yourself Mac... depending on the tyres profile it might well fit, especially if deflated.

Edited by: ejohn

·
Registered
1 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=937471089601421&set=gm.272862199570461&type=1&theater

hello! this link is 2008 fansclub in Taiwan...this car belong to [email protected]@

the front-right tire was broken on am 3:00 ><

as you know no spare tire to change!!!!!

after this risk event i start looking for the spare tire with change tools into the space [email protected]@

like 208! also i think 208 spare tire with tools could be put into the 2008 space saver?!

sorry for my pool english ><

Edited by: enjoyiiing

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have just had a look at the eBay link Allan posted earlier, and funnily enough the first item which came up was a "2014 Peugeot 2008 Space Saver Wheel 125/85 R16 New Never Used! Genuine Peugeot item!" (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Peugeot-2008-Space-Saver-Wheel-125-85-R16-New-Never-Used-/321505773503)

The seller is asking £95 (o.n.o) for it plus £15 Hermes delivery, although anyone living near Truro might be able to arrange collection.... if they are interested that is!

Edited by: Montala

·
Registered
165 Posts
I see the reasoning to get a full size spare but I think the following are worth thinking about:
When did you last have a puncture? I used to drive 50,000 plus a year for 15 years and only had one puncture.
At least we get a spare of sorts, not the gunge which many tyre repairers refuse to touch when you go in to get the puncture fixed.
I had a 4x4 Toyota Rav 4 which only came with the gunge... I was concerned until I remembered the mile ages is used to cover with no punctures.
My advice is try not to worry! If all else fails there's AA RAC or whoever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You probably regret(tempting fate !)saying you had one puncture in 15 years !, I had about 5 in the last 15 . You also need to remember that the standard breakdown that come with the car does not cover punctures !If anyone really want a full size instead of a spacesaver, you do get the odd one on e-bay(set up a search)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts