Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife is rather upset as the first few times she started the car it did a dial sweep and the lights all came on. Now it doesn't....? I was wondering if it was linked to a likely low battery on pickup that has now been sufficiently charged after a 70 mile run on Day 2 of ownership?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll take a look at mine later and report back.... I have a feeling that I don't get all the lights coming on. I hope your wife is enjoying the new car - I love driving mine

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Extract from manual:
On switching on, the dial needles go to the

extent of their travel then return to 0.
When the ignition is switched on
Certain warning lamps come on for a few
seconds in the instrument panel and/or
instrument panel screen when the vehicle's
ignition is switched on.
When the engine is started, these same
warning lamps should go off.
If they remain on, before moving off, refer to the

information on the warning lamp concerned.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine sweeps and all warning lights show for few seconds, when ignition turned all lights go out, l suggest turning key till lights go off then start engine as someone said might be starting before finished checks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Checked mine, if you turn the key to the point before you actually start the engine then the sweep happens and all of the lights come on and switch off. However, more often than not I am too impatient and turn the key all the way to switch the engine on immediately which overrides the sweep (although generally the lights still briefly flash on and off). Try turning the key to the point before starting the engine and see what happens - there should certainly be a sweep and lights at that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I suspect impatience is the key. I had always thought that diesels needed a few seconds 'warning' before starting from cold but was told that modern engines are a lot more forgiving and pre-heaters are near instant in summer, though watch out for the heater coil warning light on cold mornings.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I used to have an Aprilia Tuono, (motorcycle for anyone that doesn't know)that soon taught me to wait until all inialisation was complete before starting the bike/car.

Think Windows PC 15 years ago.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Should I really wait until the sweep is complete / lights on and off before starting the engine? Even with a petrol model? Why please? Don't think I've ever done that (I'm too impatient)!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just realised what your picture is Andrew - looks great!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
KateinNotts said:
Should I really wait until the sweep is complete / lights on and off before starting the engine? Even with a petrol model? Why please? Don't think I've ever done that (I'm too impatient)!!
Personally I would wait for all computerised systems to complete their initialisation process before trying to use them.

Petrol or diesel engine makes no difference.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with burty, few seconds makes no difference to wait, give the CPU time to carry out tests as that's part electronic system

·
Registered
506 Posts
Guys,I hear what you are saying, but there's nothing in the handbook to say that you should wait. You're right and it takes only a few seconds for it to go thro' it's cycle. But apart from a quick test to show that all the lights and the dials are working, its all theater.

To be honest the computers should be able to cope with the inevitability of a driver not waiting, and I can think of one "madam" that won't , just jumping in selecting neutral, foot on brake turn ignition key to start, seat belt on select drive, handbrake off and off we go. I know I've seen it in action.

We've sent a spacecraft with a computer with less power than a "Sinclair ZX Spectrum" 5 years ago, travelling 1.74 billion miles, to rendezvous with Jupiter,to send photos back right on schedule. T
hose too young to know what a Spectrum ZX is, Wikipedia will explain all.
Are we now saying that the 21st Century French Computers / Electronics in our little cars can't cope?

But we don't want go down that route do we

As to why the Original Posters dash didn't do it's weep etc, maybe its down to the fact his wife did exactly the same as "madam" and probably turned the ignition key to start before the lights and needles did their merry little dance.

I can't see it making that much difference whether you wait or not, but those of a fainthearted disposition regarding French Electrics, myself included, perhaps should wait. Just in case the dashboard should suddenly go up in a puff of a smoke, the airbags go off and the gearbox and engine drop out simultaneously and you be passed by a nun on a bicycle on the M1

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lol, Tone you're going to get yourself in trouble again....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tell me about it Kate, I'm always wearing my heart on my sleeve.

It generates talking points and brings a smile to peoples faces. We can't be serious all the time life will be too dull.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fine reply uncle. Thing is, it used to sweep and now it's not. That's a problem is it not. Like wipers. You switch then on and nowt happens. It's a problem. Well is if it's raining. You don't have to wait but best to. I guess 20 or so ecus on the car, don't quote me on that as I haven't had mine plugged in yet to see. But it does pay to wait the second or two to do its check. Just a thought. Come winter. Folk with diesel will have to wait 5 or 6 seconds anyway, it's all good fun and it looks fab. The sweep that is

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I know what you are saying Uncle tone.That the computers should be able to cope with the user not waiting.I would suggest that under normal circumstances they do, and will.I'll bet that you could never have a problem but who knows?I have worked with computerised systems for much of my working career, including mission critical systems and to be sure I would always wait for initialisation processes to complete before trying to exercise a system.

You can bet your ZX spectrum that went to Pluto had completed its startup sequence before it was sent. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just a thought: if it's not working, it does suggest a problem but can you turn the sweep off?Is there anything in system settings that allow it to be disabled?WeWdo know that there are occasions where certain settings seem to reset.(agreed that shouldn't happen either).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Point taken guys, I do agree it is probably wise to wait a few seconds, I'll remind "madam" of that.

And by the way Paul, I hope the "madam" doesn't have to wait for the glow plugs in winter to warm up she'll set fire to it. Well she would if it would burn.

When was the last time you drove a diesel Paul. We don't wait for glow plugs these days, Diesels fire up almost instantly due to the high pressure the fuel is injected into the engine. Noah must have been one of the last to have to wait 5 / 6 seconds to get his ark going.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts