Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there sorry if this has bern covered buy I couldnt find anything.

I have a 4 week old 1.4 allure diesel, today has been a nightmare.
Twice my steering lock has jammed and taken ages to get it off.

Is this a common fault.

Should have said this is my 1st car and I apologise for the silly question

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
This can happen with any car mainly when you remove the key with the wheels at an angle.

The pressure on the lock is due to the steering trying to return and this causes pressure on the lock.

Slightly turning the wheel will release the pressure and you should be able to release the lock as you hold the wheel off.

Welcome to the club firstcar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum firstcar! Hope you're enjoying your 2008.
I've noticed that this problem seems to be a bit worse on the 2008 than on any other car I've had before. Thesteering wheel seems to jam into place and you have to pull it down hard to one side (usually the left side as you'll be turning the key with your right hand!), and keep it pulled down while you turn the key in the ignition. If that doesn't work then, as barrheadred says, give the wheel a bit of a wiggle. Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks everyone I tried all of that but it took about 45 minutes to get it to unlock. The wheels were on slightly to the right in pretty much the same position I leave them everyday

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Try leaving the wheels straight ahead before switching off and removing the key.

You may find that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I done that last night so hopefully its ok today. Ive had a few ppl telling me to take it to the dealership should I ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd def be taking it back into the dealership if it took you 45 mins to get the steering lock off!!! That's a bit excessive ... and a bit worrying. Hope they don't fob you off tho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. Its going bk next week the dealership os 45 minutes away from me and the cabt give me a courtesy car until then. Il be taking my uncle with me as hes a mechanic. It happened again twice today

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I was looking to buy a steering wheel lock. Stop lok which is a very popular make and have at least 4 different types but NONE are suitable for Peugeot 2008. If you have this make that is probably why you are having problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts