Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We briefly touched on this over on the Reverse light to LED thread.

These are the LEDs I was thinking of but I've emailed the seller to find out the Lumens:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cree-Can-Bus-Super-bright-White-Reverse/dp/B00DWYYR5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380285563&sr=8-1&keywords=Cree%20Can-Bus%20Super-bright%20White%201156%20Reverse%20/%20Fog%20Bulb&tag=mokownclu-21

NB: These are also available in RED and the seller is awaiting new stock. He will advise me as soon as they become available.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote molinari:

smart engineering! The body is used as reflector for the rear LEDs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replied:

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Yes, I thought that. Not good enough for the reversing but I reckon It'll be good for the brake lights.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">molinari:
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">yes, LEDs react almost instantly. Do you know the lumen specs of these bulbs? For stop lights I would go for LEDs of equivalent brightness, perhaps a bit stronger

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I replied:
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">This comparison video shows the quicker response of the LED vs standard Incandescent bulbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKyE6zsGCPc

Much more positive.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I like LED brake lights as they react faster than bulbs thereby giving a few milliseconds advance warning to the following driver. At 70MPH that's about 3 metres or more and I'd sooner him touch my bumper rather than plough 3 metres through it!

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll report further when I get a reply regarding the Lumens from the seller.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just had a reply as follows:

There bulbs produce around 1000 lumens each. I'm afraid I don't have the
individual specs for the Cree zx chips used. I will contact my supplier on
Monday and I follow up with you once I hear back.

Kind
regards

Andrew

One point though; I was told some time ago by 'Autobulbs Direct' that you should put a red led behind a red lens.

However, these lens' are strange because they look almost clear but show red when the brakes are applied.

I may test that reverse LED in there later to see how it performs.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slight puzzle regarding the removal. NOW SUSSED - SEE NEXT POST!

I safely removed the housing from the car. I un-clipped the top and bottom lugs but for the life of me couldn't see why the plate holding the bulbs wouldn't pull off.

In the handbook it shows that there are2retaining clips; top and bottom.

A word of warning: Be very careful removing the housing release nut inside the boot side cavity. I don't know whether you will ever see it again if it slips out of your fingers!!

.......also; there is a tiny locating spring clip on the side of the plug and I could barely get to it as the housing doesn't have a very long cable feed (that may un-clip but it's a very tight space inside the access area in the boot).

I had to pull the housing away from the bodywork very slightly to get a fine pointed screwdriver to push the tiny clip in. Once pushed the plug comes away easily.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RIGHT! Sussed it.

There is a multi-pin plug and socket within and it's this that has to come apart. NB: Unless your version is different!

You can't see it but by gently priseing on the side of the cover plate you can tease it apart.

I was then able to test the LED and it worked fine but, to be fair, I couldn't notice much difference when comparing the LED side to the standard bulb side but that's probably because they were both 'white' viewing through a red lens.

The standard bulb appeared to react the same as the LED and similar brightness, so I really don't think there's much to be gained by changing the stop light to LED.

I've now re-fitted the LED into the reversing light as that was a big improvement over the standard bulb, but I don't think I'll bother to change the stop light as I can't see any advantage in doing so.

Worth testing and when a bulb goes I will probably replace with LEDs, in RED though (and I now know how to remove the cover
).

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....but then again.....

Good afternoon Allan

The bulbs are made in red but unfortunately I don't
carry them.

I can order them but there is normally a 15 day lead time.

Hmmm.........I might just.........

PS: I've enquired as to the price for a pair in red......

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Further details received regarding these LEDs in red:

Hi Allan,

That's correct, the red ones will be around 15-20% dimmer but
none of the red light will be filtered away through the lens on your car so it
may appear brighter. How much brighter I can not say.

The price of the
red led bulbs including shipping to your door will be £15.50 same as the white.

There will be a wait of upto 3 weeks for them to arrive though.

I hope this helps

Andrew

These red LEDs sound like a good alternative to the standard bulb.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided to order a pair in red!

I had this additional email from Andrew for info:

I will keep you in the loop with regards to the delivery times and I will be
listing the bulbs on here (Amazon).

I do think Peugeot may be doing some scare
mongering with regards to the bulbs and spotlights blowing the ecu. Or, someone
may have the wrong idea.

I think the system you are referring is the can
bus control and warning system. LEDs don't have continuity like a filament bulb.
Most canbus systems look for a resistive path straight to ground (a filament)
while other systems are looking for current draw consistent with the correct
type of bulb, in this case 21watts. There is no danger of damaging a car the
cheaper bulbs just will not work because the car will shut down power to the
bulb thinking that it is a blown bulb. I had the issue when sampling bulbs for
my stock on the vw.

The way my bulbs get around this is by adding a
resistor straight to earth inside the bulb fooling both types of system into
thinking the correct bulb is present. Unfortunately this means they will draw
the same amount of power. But it is the only way to bypass the error message a
present.

I hope i helped clear that up?

If you have anymore
questions, I'm here to help.

Andrew

I'll report further when the new ones arrive.

Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wow! You don't wastre time Allan! I still think it's worth to switch to LEDs because they are more reliable. You won't experience a burned led in your car's lifetime, probably also in your lifetime as well

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....Winter is on it's way with those long dark nights....no time to waste....

You're right about the longevity of the LEDs...and at my age I don't know whether I've got 20 years left or 20 minutes!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
molinari said:
wow! You don't wastre time Allan! I still think it's worth to switch to LEDs because they are more reliable. You won't experience a burned led in your car's lifetime, probably also in your lifetime as well

It is true that the LED chip itself is not likely to fail, but in my experience the mountings that the LED chip is mounted to tend to fail,as they go brittle over time and the wiring of the LED is fragile, this results in the individual filaments of multi-filament LEDs failing progressively. I've fitted LED lights to most of my motorbikes and with no exceptions none have lasted significantly longer than I would have expected a traditional filament bulb to last. OK, so there is likely to be a huge difference in quality with LED bulbs (particularly as most are not type approved, so quality standards are low), and a motorcycle bulb suffers a much harsher environment than a car bulb.

I fitted a set of multi-filament stop and tail bulbs to one bike I had and the vibrations shook them to pieces. I have had two sets of front position indicators on my current bike in less than 2 years (and need to consider replacement now).

Hopefully quality of the LED bulbs is improving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have a point Allan. Power-LED technology is still young and it will become more reliable in the coming years. In any case cheap chinese electronics is often built upon poor quality components. You get what you pay for :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi burty, I replaced almost all of the bulbs with LED in my old Qashqai and the only one I had to replace was a cheapo one (£3.45 pair W5W). All the others were fine.

Must be you motor bike boys going hell for leather.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
molinari said:
You have a point Allan. Power-LED technology is still young and it will become more reliable in the coming years. In any case cheap chinese electronics is often built upon poor quality components. You get what you pay for :)

Indeed. Part of the problem seems to be that there (appears to be) no quality standard for these aftermarket bulbs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crikey; waiting for these new red LEDs to arrive is almost as bad as waiting for the car itself.......and there's still about 2 weeks to go!!

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew has just sent me an update regarding delivery.

Red LEDs expected third week of this month and he's also ordered some Amber ones which may be suitable for the rear (not the front) indicators.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi molinari, have you got it yet?

-------------------------------------------

Back to the 'Stop' light LEDs...I've just received this email from the supplier but he mentions that they are being upgraded to three rear facing and one main, instead of the 3 + 3 arrangement.

The upgrade also consumes less power although we are talking stop lights which are not on for long enough generally but could be with our 'stop/start' system.

Good evening Allan.

I received the bulbs this evening and I will have
them listed on Thursday.

The bulbs we discussed are no longer in
production with the 3 forward facing led bulbs so I only have 10 pairs of those
in red, yellow or white.

The new type which will be phasing out the old
ones used a single led within a projecting lens and 3 rear facing LEDs. So far
as I can tell the brightness and performance is identical it will just use less
power.

If you would like more information or pictures, please let me
know.

Kind regards

Andrew

I replied as follows:

Hi Andrew, that's both good and bad news in a way as I'm testing them for

the Peugeot 2008 Owners Club and I really only want to test, and photograph,

the results of LEDs that the members can buy, albeit now or in the
future.

If I use the 'three' then it may not be the one other members can
obtain at
a later date.

I really don't know what to do; whether to
take a pair of the 'three' and
load the photos or wait for the newer ones
with the single lens to test.

I like the idea of less power consumption
for the new ones.

When do you think you will be getting the newer design
in?

Best regards, Allan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan, no, I haven't ordered these bulbs as I intended to switch the reverse light bulb as first thing and I'm still waiting for it!

Yes, it has not arrived yet ... I contacted Dale at HIDS Direct after having waited for the parcel for about 10 days. He replied that the order had been forgotten (note that I paid for the bulb immediately) but he would ship the item same day. One week later I contacted him again because the parcel had not arrived ... no answer from HIDS. After one more week I wrote to them again, still no answer and still no bulb. I'm pretty disappointed, I feel I can't recommend this company to the members of this forum, they have acted very unprofessionally so far.

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have to agree with you especially as they sent me the wrong LED (although it was acceptable).

Perhaps they've been awaiting new stock?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dale said that they had the bulb in stock and he would personally take care of the shipment ... this was about one month ago. It normally takes 2-3 day for a parcel to arrive from UK

1 - 20 of 44 Posts