Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2008 Feline ambience on ist May. Late July I had warning on dashboard , engine fault repair required. Diagnosed as Stop /Start eco battery not charging. Took local dealership 9 days to sort out the problem. Now its happening all over again twice in 8 weeks. Is this an inherent problem with Car/System

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

This is the first report I've seen posted concerning this problem so I guess it's pretty rare.

Keep us updated with your situation and dealer response.

Good luck. Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Maybe your battery is a bit low at the moment.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I think that is normal operation.

Mine starts when I apply the handbrake and release the footbrake.

With the EGC system it is important to also move the gear selector into 'N' to avoid unnecessary wear.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So does it work with the handbrake on or not?

I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't. But stop start operation with the ECG box does appear to be a bit odd. With the manual box it is quite simple and straightforward and will kick in (i.e. stop the engine) if the car is out of gear with the clutch up, regardless of the handbrake being on or off.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Burty, I think it's the way people are describing it - the stop start is activated by the foot brake on the EGC models because their is no clutch pedal; in the EGC you can hold the car by applying the hand brake and removing your foot off the foot-brake, but then the engine starts - so applying the hand brake doesn't automatically start the engine, but releasing your foot off the foot brake does.

Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ah, that does make sense, thanks.

I recall previous discussions on similar lines. Of course you need the engine running if you take your foot off the brake as you could potentially be about to pull away.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not if your foot is on the brake it won't (or rather, unless it has a fault, won't)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We bought our Allure 1.6 E-HDi auto in April and have been very impressed with car, our first Peugeot. The stop start worked perfectly until the hot weather in early August. For about a week the stop/start didn't work. Temperature dropped stop/start O.K. All good until low temperatures last week, Stop/start not working. Eco comes on when ignition on as it should. No warning lights show. Can anyone out there explain this ? Is the system temperature sensitive. N.B. This problem occurs whether the climate control is off or on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
According to the manual, ambient temperature is one of the criteria for the system to go into stop mode. Also engine temperature.

Also in searching the manual for info I have found out that if the light on the ECO off button flashes it indicates a failure in the system.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In the hotter temperature the car will possibly have kept the engine running to maintain the air conditioning compressor if it was working hard, likewise as it gets colder the engine will be protected to getting itself up to temperature quickly and maintaining it (a colder engine uses more fuel).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks 2008MAN and burty. That's pretty much the conclusion I had come to but it's good to get some confirmation. It's obviously a fairly sophisticated system on the egc model and the black box no doubt optimises the systems. The first time the problem occurred was when the car had been parked at an airport for about eight days and the the climate control had been used a lot prior to that so the battery was maybe down on charge. The fuel economy has been outstanding in spite of stop/start glitches. Average consumption fill to fill currently 76 mpg but expecting less over the Winter months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Frank. The first time it happened was pretty much as you said. End of July early August this year.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts