Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "stop - start", seems to have stopped. (well most of the time). Car is a new EGC and have had it a month. Worked fine for first couple of weeks and I was very impressed with it. I have checked to make sure the button by the dash is activated and it is. I've noticed sometimes that when I pull up and stop that the ECO light actually in the dash pod flashes for a few seconds as though its thinking about perhaps stopping, and then decides not to. I'm wondering if I Peugeot has perhaps just revealed its first fault to me, or whether its just me doing something wrong.

If anyone has a clue as to what I might be doing wrong, or if it is indeed a fault, then I'd be very grateful to hear from you. Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's getting colder out there - the car will be checking certain parameters before stop-start is operational, engine temperature and electrical load are two of them, the engine (especially being a diesel) will be taking longer to warm-up and you'll be using more of te hot air to heat the cabin.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
This thread has an interesting link in a post by Frank Bullitt that shows how the system works:

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/eco-function-start-stop_topic462_page1.html#.VHDJMousUTA

Frank posted:

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Have a look at the link and the diagram below which explains how it works without a starter motor
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.environment.peugeot.co.uk/e-hdi-micro-hybrid-technology/

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Scroll down to see the system demonstrated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the thoughts and links. It's beginning to sound like it might be normal for the "stop start" not to work all of the time. If that is the case and its prone not to work when the weather is cold and the heater is on then I think customers should be made aware of this beforehand. This seems strange as Peugeot appear to market the "stop start" as an important feature as to how the 2008 is able to achieve the advertised 70 mpg and sub 100 CO2. I think Peugeot should tell people it don't work when it's cold. Did someone also mention about taking it out of gear when stopped to avoid clutch wear ? Could this have also caused it to stop working ? Again if this is the case Peugeot should warn customers. Or have I misunderstood. Apologies if I have.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It's only advisable to select neutral in the EGC if the engine fails to 'stop' when stationary for any period of time longer than a normal 'stop and ready to go'.

In a standard manual car it would be the same as sitting with 1st gear selected and your left foot holding down the clutch with the engine running.

If the engine stops in the EGC when stationary then there's no need to move the gear lever at all. Just leave it where it is in auto.

PS: EGC - - If you come to a halt and the engine has stopped if you then move the selector to neutral the engine will start.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think Peugeot do cover this as there is something in the bumf about working 'depending on circumstances' or 'conditions'; that isn't limited to traffic alone, but environmental conditions. Stop start is very helpful in achieving the economy stats but depending on the circumstances in which you drive it may or may not help each individual customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice (Frank, Allan). I've checked and done some experimenting with switching down the electrics and you are exactly right! Reduce the load and the stop/start kicks back in straight away. Heated seats and the fast screen clear being the two killer blows. Was worried it was a fault. So pleased it's not, and now it's working again I have to say its brilliant. In the last 3-4 years I've driven lots of different cars with stop start (hire cars Fords, VW's, Vauxhalls, etc)) and I have to say when it's working the Peogeut's is by far the best I've ever driven. So smooth, quiet, quick and easy to live with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem and was told the battery needs to be a certain level for it to work so if like me you only do short journeys the battery doesn’t charge enough for it to work x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts