Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first message on a forum so I hope I get it right and receive many replies. In March this year, I bought a nearly new (2014) 2008 Allure diesel with stop-start. I am retired and do most of my driving locally with very few long journeys (6000miles p.a.) so I thought the s/s facility would be ideal to save some fuel and my hard earned pension! No problems until about 3 wks ago when the s/s stopped working. To cut a long story short, when I complained to my local Peugeot main dealer, I was told in no uncertain terms that with the style of motoring that I do, it was very unlikely that the s/s would ever work except for a short time after a long journey. This has proven correct as I went to High Wycombe a few days ago and the s/s worked for a couple of days after that, but then packed up again. I am fairly p***ed off about this. I consider that I have been sold a feature of a car under false pretences and I wonder if it is worth while starting proceedings against Peugeot under the Trade Descriptions Act? What do other readers think?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm astounded to read this - I pick up my new 2008 tomorrow and have assumed that s/s would work on a permanent basis unless I chose to switch it off. Do you mind me asking what length your average trips are and what is deemed to be a "long" journey? I don't understand why it has been working for a few months and then it stopped? Sorry I can't be of assistance, hopefully you will get some answers.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome, l must say surprised you went diesel with your low mileage, for diesel to pay for itself you need be doing over 15000 a year, as for s/s its run off small battery which needs be fully charged to work and as your only doing town trips its not enough as your long trip showed, as far as l know all s/s systems work same way

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the user's manual:
Special cases: STOP mode not
available
STOP mode is not invoked when:
- the driver's door is open,
- the driver's seat belt is not fastened,
- the vehicle has not exceeded 6 mph
(10 km/h) since the last engine start using
the key,
- the engine is needed to maintain a
comfortable temperature in the passenger
compartment,
- demisting is active,
- some special conditions (battery
charge
engine temperature, braking assistance,
ambient temperature...) where the engine is
needed to assure control of a system.

Just make sure your case is none of the above. It happened before, most of the times it was A/C or demisting...

Best of luck with solving this!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Katie,My short trips which make up the majority if my motoring are into town (2 miles), to the golf club - also 2 miles and to take the dogs up to the woods also 2 miles. On Thursday I went to Six Hills - about 6 miles each way, but that was not enough to charge the battery to get the s/s working again. I fear you may be disappointed. My guess about why it took some months to stop working is that the battery was fully charged when I bought the car and that over the course of three months or so, it has gradually been drained by the style of motoring that I do. The good news is that apart from the s/s, the 2008 is a super little car and I am sure you will be pleased with it. Please let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Stupot if that is the most you drive turning off s/s be better as its still drawing power from engine trying to charge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your message. Yes, I know that a low annual mileage is supposed to favour a petrol engined car, but I have had bad experiences with petrol engined vehicles - poor mpg, high road tax and unreliability, so I will stick to diesel despite the supposed high initial cost which can be avoided by shopping around.As for the s/s problem, I was not aware of this and I would suspect neither are the majority of motorists buying their first s/s. I think it is wrong for Peugeot (and others) to market a feature that only works under certain circumstances, after all, the idea is to save fuel in TOWN driving. What is the point in having it if the majority of driving is in TOWN and under these conditions it doesn't work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for this. I carefully read the owners manual BEFORE I went to the Peugeot main dealer. None of the items listed apply in my case. It would seem that Peugeot are marketing a feature that only works under certain circumstances.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you have a diesel engine then short journeys of less than 5 miles are not only poor for charging the battery, but they also clog up the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).It doesn't get chance to burn off the residue of deposits from the engine as it doesn't get up to operatingtemperature.
This will require a visit to the dealer for a clean out (not cheap!).

They recommend a ride up the motorway and back (40-50 miles) at 45-70MPH once a month to clean it out.

With the air-con on low on a hot daythen I doubt the S/S will ever operate (mine never did).

This is bad if you have a car with EGC as you can wear out the clutch prematurely(definitely not cheap!). You have to remember tomove the gear to neutral when stationary with the engine running if the S/S doesn't operate.

Short journeys? ..then don't get diesel; get a petrol engine!

Constant stopping and starting? ..then don't get EGC auto; get a manual or EAT6 auto.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mik207, Thanks for this. Whilst I think you are correct, that is not the point. I bought a car with s/s in an effort to save fuel knowing my motoring pattern - i.e lots of short trips in traffic. I feel that I have been sold a pup in this respect although the 2008 is a super car otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
allan40alt, Your message is most helpful and raises a point of which I was not aware. Why 50 mph on the motorway journey? I have covered the reasons for getting a diesel in previous messages to others.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'll re-phrase that as 45-70MPH.

50MPH is about the constant minimum, so my dealer told me.

Al.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes your correct it should be made clear how s/s works but as most cars now have it dealers take it for granted you know how works, in this case l put it down to dealer being sloppy and by the answer you say you got arrogant to

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is not a problem with the 2008 or Peugeot's as such, but how Stop Start systems operate on ALL vehicles. It ceases to work during certain conditions for a reason - so that the system has enough energy to get going again. Better that than the vehicle failing to re-start and letting you down.

·
Registered
540 Posts
stupot00 said:
Thanks for this.  I carefully read the owners manual BEFORE I went to the Peugeot main dealer.  None of the items listed apply in my case.  It would seem that Peugeot are marketing a feature that only works under certain circumstances.
I'm afraid it does - engine temperature. If you are regularly doing 2 mile trips then your engine is barely getting any warmth into it, especially when you get to the winter period.

Stop start not working in the circumstances you describe is entirely typical of the product, and not a PSA-specific issue. As Al has noted you really do need to get a decent run in reasonably often to keep the DPF clear too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many thanks to all of you who have been most helpful in regard to my s/s original message. Clearly there is a total anachronism in respect to s/s. It is needed most when driving in town traffic with frequent hold ups at traffic lights etc, but it is just this sort of driving that causes it not to work over a period when no long runs are involved. I am sorry that I paid good money for a feature that is fairly useless and I will be letting Peugeot know of my concerns.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Stop start is a manufcturer response to the economy cycle tests as it artificially improves the urban stats; our own DS4 was available shortly after ours was built wth stop-start; no other difference but not on the urban cycle it improved economy by 15-20%, lowering the claimed CO2 thus making taxation cheaper for company car drivers and annual tax. It might benefit some people but really it's just manufacturers playing the game. In my case I commute 15 miles, the last two crawling through traffic; stop start would likely be a bonus but on the way home it wouldn't make the blind bit of difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just shut it down, every time i remember. I find it a hassle and it might wear down your engine in time. Wish it had a permanent OFF option, or at least a delay before it shuts off the engine when coming to a stop. Hope dealerships will offer disabling option in the future for it, as i'm very happy with the consumption without this system.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You're right guys, it is the most intrusive of any stop start system I have come across.

We've just taken delivery of our 2008 and this has to be a not liked welcome addition to the package. One I could quite easily have deleted from the options list.

The principle behind it is, as Frank rightly points out, is to get the emission levels down, but it can also save fuel. I've used similar features on an Audi and even on a Ford Mondeo, both of those worked in the background to such a degree when they kicked in they kicked in at the right time, you never felt that you had to do anything about it. Admittedly in very slow moving traffic I would switch it off because it would be constantly switching the engine on and off and I have this feeling of things wearing out rather quickly.

The problem with the Peugeot system is, it is definitely not user friendly. It operates, in my opinion, at the most inconvenient times. For instance, the most awkward time is, when you are slowing down approaching a junction that is a "give way" or a roundabout. It comes into action just as you are slowing down waiting to join the flow of traffic, you are not certain if you need to stop or not. So there you are coming to virtually a stop, foot lightly on the brake , all of a sudden there's a gap, too late the speed has dropped to 5 mph the car judders and the Stop Start kicks in, you go for the accelerator only now its too late to join the traffic. Back on the brake rather sharply and it stops again. There's no room for safety in my opinion. If, as some have said there was a delay of 3/4 seconds once you had come to a stop then that would be fine I'm sure, but the thing kicks in before you've come to a stop. And I don't know about you guys, but as you're virtually stopping, mine has this symptomthe engine is juddering, struggling to keep going
as if I've forgotten to press the clutch down. The ECU is trying to prevent the car from stalling by increasing the revs and you as the driver are trying to stop the car.

This can't be good for the mechanical elements associated with the system. I appreciate and understand the work that's gone into beefing up various parts, alternator, starter, battery the electronics, but the execution is all wrong.

For me its not just a hindrance, I judge it as a safety issue, so for the moment when I get in and start it up I will be switching it off. And at the first opportunity I will be speaking with the dealership to getting the system permanently switched off, or at least the option of switching it on when I want it, and not as a default action.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts