Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 2008. speed ESG should have stop/start but sadly it has never worked since purchase May 2014 brand new. The car has 3748 miles on clock and still No Stop Start. Garage says because the battery is not charged. I'd this correct and has any one else had the same issue. Because no engine cut out when the car is in neutral it revs at 12500 & 1500. Only getting 56mpg should be around 74mpg. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Cheers Darren

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sounds like the garage is talking bollox and you most likely have a fault.

There are certain circumstances under which the stop start won't stop the engine but in my experience the stop start virtually always stops the engine. Check the users manual as it has the conditions listed, (they are listed on this site somewhere also) also it is worth reading this thread:
http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/stop-start-timer_topic569_page2.html#.VBDF9PldUbh

Personally I would eliminate as much as possible. i.e. turn any non-essential systems off such as aircon, radio heaters etc, I believe you do have to engage the handbrake on the ECG models? (It could be something really simple like the seat-belt sensor is not properly sensing the seat belt, there are various sensors - I think they are listed in the manual.)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Engine cuts out when the foot brake is applied and the car comes to a halt on EGC versions.

Mine stopped working earlier this year on a very hot day when I had the air-con working with the temperature way down low.

As burty mentioned, other factors can over-ride the operation; low battery being one of them....or a high demand on the battery like headlights on etc.

Sometimes the engine may start earlier than expected whilst stationary.

With the EGC system it's advisable to move the gear into neutral to avoid any excessive and undue wear on the clutch if you are stationary with the engine running.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi guys

wouldnt it be best if the stop.start was turned off

by the echo switch, then just let the car tick over

mezza..

2008 allure 1.6 outo 6 speed stop/start system,in nimbus grey

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi 2008man
yeah sorted now thanks ,you turn a switch off

on the rightt hand side as u sit in the car

and the switch goes red [ in colour ]

thanks mate

mezza..

2008 1.6 outo 6 speed e-hdi stop n start system nimbus grey

Edited by: mezza

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
mezza said:
hi 2008man
yeah sorted now thanks ,you turn a switch off

on the rightt hand side as u sit in the car

and the switch goes red [ in colour ]

I don't really understand why you would turn the stop start off.

Go with it.

Personally I find it quite comforting that the engine is not running burning fuel when I am stationary.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I like to turn mine off when coming up to a roundabout as it may need a quick reaction of the accelerator to join traffic. Same goes when exiting a side road to join a more major road where there is no 'stop' sign.

Other than that I leave it to operate as it should.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I guess it makes a difference if you have a manual vs auto.

Mine being a manual, won't 'stop' the engine unless it's out of gear with the clutch up. Of course you don't do that if you are approaching a roundabout and need to move quickly. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Seemingly when it feels like it. Mine cuts out before the car has stopped, 'freewheeling' into a confined space, so that you have to put your foot back on the throttle to restart to sometimes move only a couple of inches. The clutch bites at its own discretion so you end up jerking forward before quickly reapplying the brake. This is the ecg box which I have previously mentioned in other threads is in my opinion not well sorted out. I usually disable the stop start as it is of no practical use in country area (the engine may be stopped for 6 seconds on a 30 mile trip). I wish it could be permanently switched off. Its only a device to reduce the taxation class anyway.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My EGC works very smoothly but the one thing I wish is that it only cuts the engine if you are stationary for, say, 2 seconds.

That would save a lot of unnecessary stop/starting of the engine.

One instance is when I stop to reverse. It instantly stops then starts as I select reverse; all in a fraction of a second.

Other times I've mentioned previously like almost stopping on a roundabout or the same at a minor road junction. You need to be ready for instant response.

It's brilliant though at other times like in traffic jams or at traffic lights or pedestrian crossings.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In theory, I'm the time it takes to get your right foot from the brake to the throttle the engine has already started donut shouldn't really be an issue - I was in an A6 2.0TDI S-Tronic on Tuesday which had stop start and not once was I held up by it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi guys
anser to your Q 20008 man

is probably both we leave it
as it dont bother us

mezza..

2008 1.6 outo e-hdi stop n start system nimbus grey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.