Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i already have a 6 speed manual 2008 so this thread is purely for curiosity purposes! i just love knowing why and how things work......it's a curse!!!

before the 2008 i drove an auto for 4 years and as soon as it was shifted "D" the car sat at bite point and it was impossible to roll the car back under any circumstances. how the gearbox worked and how and why this happened made perfect sense to me and i fully understood it.

I have seen a fair few people say they have had their autos rolling back for one issue or another and this got me wondering how peugeots auto system works?? for some reason i just cant comprehend how an auto gearbox in "D" could go backwards surely it has to sit at a bite point in order to work? i havnt seen or driven one so i don't have that benefit unfortunately.

would someone be kind enough to explain how the system works please?? engineer by trade so you can use big words (to a degree)

T.I.A!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice to see your investigating my issue.hope to understand its operation too. As the egc is classed as semi auto it doesnt work like my old auto ie P,D,R,N but inly has R,A and flick for manual gear + an - changes. Like i mentioned with the HSA te car doesnt have regular bite point on clutch so juggling the throttle and handbrake can be hard especially on a sligt him. Especially if your parked in tight spot in a hill. Manouevering with the hsa no engaging is hard as the semi auto doesnt have a bite point like my last auto dud. To complicate things, as the eco works on 5mph or lower moving from a tight spot always req switching eco off which can be a pain.
I rode in my dads DSG auto yest and found all these listed issues are obsolete on his vehicle as the dual clutch seems to have better mechanics and the bite is more apparent to operate easier.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your previous car was probably a proper automatic with a torque converter - the EGC that people comment on here is not an auto in the same way, it's an automated manual; it's essentially a manual gearbox with an automatically actuated clutch, as such it does not have 'creep' and will not hold; what you describe as 'biting point' in your old car is not 'biting point' like a manual; there are a bunch of helictal gears pulling at the car.

Really the EGC is more akin to a manual than an auto in how it operates, the downside being it is less 'smooth' the upside being economy is comparable to the manual. The 1.6VTi has a proper 4-speed automatic option

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct. The ecg is virtually a clutchless manual. The bite point was referred to in an earlier different post (removed) as it can cause problems starting on gentle slopes, when hill assist is inoperative, when the vehicle can run backwards before the bite point, which is entirely out o the drivers control, moves the vehicle. It is likely to only be a couple of inches but it can cause embarrassment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand how it works on normal gear changes when driving that was the easy bit, its how it "knows" when to start releasing and engaging the clutch and by how much in pulling off and slowing to a stop scenarios without a torque converter??surely the clutch cant just live in a simple engaged or disengaged state?? sooooooooo confusing!!
im sure it's simple when you know the answer haha!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
We need to be very careful with the use of the term Auto.The EGC is not an auto gearbox, it's better described as a semi-automatic (or even a clutchless manual - although there is a clutch, just not a clutch that the driver controls).The 1.6 vti is now available with a 4 speed automatic, which as I understand it, is a more traditional auto box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the pleasure of the use of a 308 1.6 HDI EGC (09 plate) for a year as a company car and at the same time my own car was a 207sw HDI manual (and still is). My wife and I both preferred to use the 308 whenever possible as we both very much enjoyed using the semi-auto gearbox and the comfort of just driving that fabulous car.

The 207sw is now 6 years old (but less than 40k miles) and I had planned on upgrading to a 208sw, hopefully with the EGC gearbox. As I now know there is to be no 208sw, I turned my attention to the 2008. I responded to a main dealers advert with a 3 month old Allure 1.6 eHDI EGC demo car for sale with less than 500 miles. I test drove it, but the car had already been sold so I enquired as to what and when the next demo would be - it will be the exactly the same model and spec, so I have a deposit on it. I shall have to wait until approx 18 June to collect, but then I would have to wait that long if I ordered it new. We are so looking forward to getting the (nearly) new car and especially to use the EGC gearbox. If I were buying new, with what I know, I would definitely be ordering the EGC version.

Last year I also had the opportunity to drive approx 1200 Km in a 208 manual in Italy, but being a hire car I believe that it was only the 1.2 3 pot version. I found it to be very lacking in power, especially on motorway inclines and often had to change down or just lose speed. I have no hesitation in buying our next Peugeot with the EGC gearbox.

Although our annual mileage does not really warrant a diesel engine, I just much prefer the raw grunt that it delivers.

Hope this helps with anyones decision making between engines.

By the way the ex-demo car comes with a discount of £4k

Regards

Evader

1 - 7 of 7 Posts