Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a hasty retreat in my 2008 1.6 ehdi the other day and popped a mudflap off as well as cracked the fog light lens. Would you believe the dealer says no fixings are availble and a new set of mudflaps has to be ordered. The one I popped off is fully intact. Similar story with the fog lamp - full unit required. Bottom line £230 for very little damage! Otherwise the car is still in my good books and coming up to 2 years old. Guess I had to have a bump at some stage!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bad luck, these things happen unfortunately. My car got showered in stones tonight - from the driver's seat they looked (and sounded) huge. Got to wait until tomorrow to see if there is any damage

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Gary,

I know what you mean. recently one of our staff was using "Madams" car to carry some equipment and he had it resting on the seats from the rear parcel shelf and on top of the passenger seat.

He apparently had to do a quick brake test, and the support hit the infotainment screen smashing it and the dash trim around it.

The cost of the screen and trim from Peugeot was

Screen; £783.00 I think including the VAT
Trim; £85.00

We managed to pick up a screen from a damaged 65 Plate 208 but bought the trim from Peugeot. With due respect he paid for the parts and the labour to install them.

So yes it does hurt and sometimes you think you are being, for want of a better word being fleeced. All the best with that keep us posted on whether you managed to resolve it without buying new mudflaps.

Hello Marie,

Hope you are well, and sorry to hear that you've scuffed your alloy, but I am surprised you've still got them on the car knowing where you live, so that must be a bonus.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ha ha Tone! Car & parts are still here. No car thievesaroundhere though strangely enough I got a cheque in the post the other day for compensation due to a burglary that happened about 8 years ago. It's taken this long to get the idiot to pay up. Mind you the cheque was for £20 even though he was told to pay £300.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Aghhhhhhhh..... somebody smashed into the back of me today and then decided to drive off. My beautiful new(ish) car now has a very dented bottom

Thankfully we weren't injured (although my daughter was distraught, possibly because she heard me say a rude word when I never normally swear) and we have the car reg no., witness details and witness photos (they set off after it in hot pursuit but lost it) so it is a police and insurance matter (the other car has insurance which is something I guess).

Not a good day

·
Registered
506 Posts
Kate

Glad to hear that everybody is OK.

My first thoughts would be that they don't have insurance that may be why they drove off.

When the police catch up with them you should be able to put a claim in for compensation against them etc.

But your insurance people will tell you that.

Its a nuisance when this happens, not only is the car damaged its now the inconvenience for their mistakes. These things happen but they could have had the decency to apologise etc.

Like I said glad everybody is OK, keep us posted.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks Tone.

Despite the fact that the witnesses said that the car (an already very battered R reg Peugeot 406 estate) was being driven erratically (alcohol?) and didn't have any brake lights, the police won't do anything until we've made a statement to them (next available appointment Wednesday evening). None of the photos show the driver, just the car.

My insurance company confirmed that the other car is insured. Whether anyone will own up to driving it and crashing it is anyone's guess (probably not).

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sorry to hear this Kate. I hope you get it sorted.

If my understanding is correct the car owner is liable and their insurance even if he/she wasn't driving at the time, if the driver is untraceable. (The owner is supposed to know who was driving the car anyway).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear that Kate.
A few years ago I got clipped by a lorry over a fly over that did not stop (probably did not know he'd done it). I chased him for about 5 minutes, hooting and flashing my lights but he did not stop. Luckily I managed to remember reg no. I informed my insurance company and left it in their hands. Car got fixed and they managed to trace owner/driver. Can't remember if police was eventually involved as the driver did not stop but the owner/driver admitted liability.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks everyone, I have an appointment at the police station tomorrow night so we'll see what they say. I'm hoping that they will have a quiet word with the man who did it - all I want is for him to accept liability through our insurance companies and pay for the damage, I'm not bothered about compensation or a criminal conviction. However, a colleague's Dad went through the same thing 5 months ago and the police still haven't spoken to the other party yet...

I gave the other person's reg number to my insurance company and they said that they will treat it as a non-blame claim yet they still expect me to pay £350 (my excess) to their approved repair company 'as a temporary measure'?? I can't see that I will easily get this refunded to me so I'm going to sit tight on repairs for now as the damage seems to be only cosmetic (the car is driving ok and everything still works). Is this normal? Somebody went into the back of my old car (although he immediately accepted all responsibility for the accident) and I didn't have to pay out a penny.Edited by: KateinNotts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi, why non-blame claim? Don't know how is at you, but here if somebody is smashed in rear, is the other party fault...Does not matter what he says...you smash the front of your car = your fault because you have not insured the safe distance.Anyway, ask why they demand money from you...only if was your fault you need to pay for "completing the insurance cost", because they say that your insurance price is increasing at the moment when you provoke an accident...In rest...don't pay a dime...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi George, my insurance company (Aviva) was adamant that if I put my car in for repair with them and the third party hadn't accepted responsibility by the time the works were completed then I would have to pay the excess before I got my car back.....

The situation has (thankfully) been resolved as the man who crashed into me has now accepted responsibility. His insurance company is paying for my car to be repaired at a garage of my choice (I've picked a Peugeot Approved garage used by a dealership). They are planning to replace the tailgate and bumper (and will check for any further damage when the bumper is removed). Hopefully it will be sorted next week

1 - 15 of 15 Posts