Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Guys I am looking at getting the 1.6vti as I cant really get diesel as dont do enough miles. After reading alot of the reviews they say it feels underpowered is this the case? I mean the o-60 looks ok for me and I dont want to race around so long as there is pull for overtaking etc I am happy. Also would like to know if it cruises ok?

Also what is the comfort like we have a kia ceed (2011)at the moment and the suspension is a little hard at times.

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, Ive got a 1.6 Feline and no way is it underpowered, plenty of grunt and good at cruising 70mph (maybe faster
), I have have the car nine months now and still am pleased with it, not bad mpg either...!!

Car feels very premium and the ride isnt firm at all, Im running on 17in wheels btw.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree jonesy I also have a 1.6 VTi and am chuffed with the ride, handling and performance, my only complaint is not having parking lights, I have been told they are only on diesel models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that really helps the other car I was looking at was a Mitsubishi asx but I like this because of grip control etc, has anyone got the park assist and is it worth the extra?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to test drive one next Tuesday fingers crossed. Also , is it worth waiting for the 1.2 turbo? I was leaning to not waiting as I didn't think the economy or performance would be that different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 1.6VTI and I think there is plenty of power,

I have just come back from a trip to over to the west coast of Scotland with the car fully loaded and it performed great. It cruises fine along the dual carriageways and took the winding twisty roads with no problems. At motorway speeds there is a bit of noise, but nothing too great.

I like the fact that the car lost none of its handling and the back of the car stayed level even with a full load. I even averaged 47MPG on the 300 mile round trip.

The 1.6vti has certainly exceeded my expectations given all the bad press reviews.
My previous car was a 2.0 litre peugeot 307cc and the 1.6vti is much quicker than that, that fact that the 2008 if nearly 600kgs lighter than the 307cc is probably a major factoralso.

I should also add that my other car is a 1972 vw camper van with 50bhp 0-60 in about 2 minutes...so anything modern seems like a sports car to me.

ps if anyone wants a great driving road, try the road from Fort William to Oban, it has spectacular views and very little traffic this time of year.

Edited by: Deckers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Parking assist is probably the best extra I have ever Houghton a car @ £400 my only gripe I there is no parking lights on petrol models (according to my dealer) which I would find very useful.

·
Registered
540 Posts
tempest501 said:
I'm going to test drive one next Tuesday fingers crossed. Also , is it worth waiting for the 1.2 turbo? I was leaning to not waiting as I didn't think the economy or performance would be that different.
The economy won't be radically different, even if the 1.2e-THP supposedly has better results but performance won't be the same as a small capacity turbo engine delivers it's performance in a radically different way to the larger naturally aspirated engine (even if raw top speed and 0-60 stats are close).

We drove the 1.6VTi and liked it a great deal, it's a very smooth engine with a really nice feel to it; I felt it was a bit short geared in top (3300rpm at 70 in 5th) but other than that it drove well and was quiet at most engine speeds. However, given the choice I would wait for the 1.2e-THP; it will be less linear than the 1.6VTi but will have more pull lower down and be geared to support this (70mph will likely be under 3000rpm even in the 5-speed 110 model) and I like torque along with smoothness.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would take a test drive in a 115 or 92 bhp diesel you be surprised they have got a bit of go. They are dearer but you get more miles to the gallon and the road tax is signifcantly less compared to the petrol 1.6. Depending on the miles you do they may cost in earlier and probably more poplar to sell secondhand when you change

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only reason I am not getting diesel is because I don't do enough mile and with all these new infamous dfp filters I better get petrol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 1.6vti I have is quite refined. I find it reasonably powerful with a couple of niggles. Bit noisy on startup for 30seconds ish, you would think it was a diesel 'till the rattling quietens. Also flaps quite badly at 80mph. Other than that, smooth like chocolate. I can recommend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a 1.6vti and also dislike the engine rattle when cold but this is the technology of the engine and that is why the performance is so good and the economy is good. I have just done journey to Leeds from Surrey, good runs as well as sitting in very slow moving traffic and the car returned 44.5 miles to the gallon, very respectable and the drive superb even at speeds over 80. Would highly recommend this model (Alure 1.6vti)

·
Registered
540 Posts
The noisy start up is due to being direct injection - it's a common trait as the fuel is injected straight into cold cylinders, it sounds like old-school 'knock' but it's nothing to worry about. Our old A2 1.6FSI (Direct injection an lean burn) sounded like a diesel on start-up (shame it wasn't as reliable as one...).

The upside is cleaner emissions and better economy along with sharper performance!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would have ordered the petrol version as well but as my own car is diesel and I fill them both with fuel, I've had a couple of close calls nearly mis-fuelling, so I ordered the diesel.
I don't know if anyone else had done it but I did a cost analysis on my own car looking at fuel cost and service costs and found the petrol marginally cheaper to run. However the residual on the diesel is always far higher.
Enjoy your new 2008 as I'm sure my wife will when we get ours later this week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just need to find time to test drive one as i could not get to the local garage on tuesday =C. Still cant decide if I should wait until the new 1.2 turbo comes out but might be more expensive i guess.

Has anyone ever used carbuyer to buy a car? I did a qoute and they are selling the 1.6 Allure for just over 15k but it such a big saving I wonder if its too good to be true.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A friend has used Drivethedeal.com twice and they were first class. See below:

https://www.drivethedeal.com/
Buy a new car through drivethedeal.com & get a discount new car deal from UK main dealer ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it's any help the 1.6vti Peugeot/BMW engine is a tried an tested engine used in the Peugeot Citreon models and the Mini range, the new turbo could be an unnown quantity not tried and tested so would reliabiltybe a problem???

·
Registered
165 Posts
I must confess I tend to agree with Kitchendave.... I like tried and tested. Perhaps that's why my wife's 307 which is 6.5 years old has lasted so well. Regular services and an exhaust were our only expense. Let's hope the 2008 HDI lasts as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another point is Geoff the hdi engine was designed and developed by Peugeot and is used by many manufcturers to power their cars including Ford, Vuahall, Volvo, BMW and others so that engine is also well tried and tested.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts