Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up on Saturday with 86mls range. They did say the range would go up. Now done 150mls and still shows 70mls range. I think I have now fallen in love with this car showing average 67mpg but not been on motorway yet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
it's great isnt it!! after paying the fuel for a 2.2l petrol auto for the last 4 years im over the moon!! it's weird looking at the instantaneous mpg meter and seeing double figures when accelerating but still getting a reasonable kick in power lol

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
jonnyg30 said:
it's great isnt it!! after paying the fuel for a 2.2l petrol auto for the last 4 years im over the moon!! it's weird looking at the instantaneous mpg meter and seeing double figures when accelerating but still getting a reasonable kick in power lol

It's even better when you go to refuel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
well ive done one top up and was quite impressed for the mileage i'd done and the type of driving but the real test will be tomorrow when we take a trip back to see the family as we do the trip so often i know the exact mileage, how much fuel is usually used and the cost of the trip so i will be able to make a good comparison.

the most annoying thing is having to learn a new fuel gauge / fuel price / mileage ratios lol the old one waseach quarter tank = £20 = 100 miles open roads / 80 miles town driving- short trips-norfolk roads
i have no doubt the pug will wipe the floor with those figures haha

one thing i have noticed between the 2008 and the vectra is that the pug doesnt hold much "in the pipe". i used to be able to drive a fair bit before the needle started to move 1st quarter pretty slow and the other 3 you could practically see the needle dropping. where as the 2008 seems to drop strait away but nice and even and very very slow!! i guess the vectra just had a weird shape tank and no compensation on the level sensor or gauging system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having picked up my car on the 1st March I've just come back from a weekend away in North Wales giving the car a good shakedown and I too am so impressed at the MPG!
70.5mpg on the motorway and then average across the almost 400 mile trip of 65.6mpg, which considering a large percentage of it was on the coastal, mountain and country B roads is fantastic!
Loving filling her up too, I filled up yesterday in Porthmadog, spent the day driving around Snowdonia National Park and then drove back to Warwickshire and this morning it only cost me £18 to top it back up to full tank....I could get used to this!!

Totally agree jonnyg30, it doesn't take long for the needle to drop though, but it definitely takes longer to drop all the way to the bottom!

So my official review after 700 miles of driving in a week - absolutely loving it!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
well trip over and all i can say is wow!!!

vectra - standard - full tank, kings lynn -> southwell, southwell -> east heckington fuel station - total 120 miles = £40 petrol

2008 - thule roof bag fitted - just under full tank, kings lynn -> southwell, southwell -> lincoln, lincoln -> southwell, southwell -> east heckington fuel station - total 164 miles = £27 diesel!!!! with a roof bag!!!!!!!! on the a17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Great isn't it?

At the weekendI did Rochester to Plymouth then Plymouth to Polperro and back, a total of around 310 miles I think. For £39 in diesel. It would have been less save for the fact that we were in a hurry to get to Plymouth so did hoof it a little if you know what I mean.

Travelling back home on Sunday I also did keep the speed up a little higher than perhaps I should have (we made it back 250 miles in just over 4 hours including one stop) but the trip computer seemed to think we did the whole trip at 56mpg. At 'normal' speeds it would have been easily over 60mpg.

That said I do think that the computer is a little economical with the truth when compared with doing the maths the old fashioned way.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
18 Posts
I opted for the 120bhp petrol as the performance on the other engine choices is slow. The vti120 hits 0-60 in 9.5secs making overtaking a breeze. I also average 42mpg. I find diesels too noisy vibey and unrefined. I'm happy with my choice as I'm sure other vti'ers are too. As i opt for speed and refinement over mpg !! My 2 cents ˜ƒ˜ƒ˜ƒ

·
Registered
540 Posts
burty said:
That said I do think that the computer is a little economical with the truth when compared with doing the maths the old fashioned way.
It's always been the case - you can't really quote the mpg read out as anything remotely gospel.

We'll be going petrol - yes I will miss schlepping through France on cheapo Gazoil but for the rest of the time the lighter controls, more tractable engine, smoother idle and revvy nature make up for it!

I liked the 1.6VTi a lot, just the slightly shorter 5th gear than I'd like counts against it really so were waiting for the 1.2e-THP, the blown engine will be on lower revs in each gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We are roughly getting 110 miles for £10 in our 1.4hdi diesel which is great going. Couldn't be happier

·
Registered
217 Posts
most people seem to be getting really good mpg figures even the petrols are looking pretty damn good.

for a super-mini S.U.V the handling doesnt seem as bad as i expected either im really over the moon with it.
I mean, i cant chuck it into corners or throw it around like my old car but the 2008 isnt designed for that sort of driving. It takes the myriad of winding country roads norfolk has to offer in it's stride and manoeuvring in tight spaces is an absolute dodle the super light steering makes it almost pleasurable haha!! but when you get up to speed the steering tightens up and holds the car on the strait and narrow quite nicely and really gives you a sense of connection to the road.
For a 1.6 diesel she's still surprisingly pokey as well, i have honestly barely noticed the drop in engine performance from my old 2.2 petrol and even with my kayak on the roof causing a ton of drag and all my kayak and kitesurf kit in the back adding loads of weight it just pulls, accelerates and handles like it's not there utterly brilliant. Better still pulling up to the beach with all the for mentioned equiptment attached to her she really looks the part too the old car just looked a bit hap-hazzard, out of place and silly lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts