Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty annoyed by the navigation system's software. It does not support the Danish language and searching for street names containing Danish letters Å Æ Ø is a rather cumbersome task. Can we expect software updates in the future? Does anyone know if the system's firmware can be updated?
Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molinari, the software is updated in collaboration with Navteq and Peugeot. the route through updates as far as I am aware is only through the official update site. We have the same issue with regards to postcodes which is apparently being worked on for release in September.

Mac

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, Mac. Let's see if the Navteq people will introduce better functionality in a future sw release, as well a wider language support. The current navigation sw is imo. quite a few years behind compared to most car navigation systems (including smartphones) on the market today.
Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burty, I may be wrong on this but I recall having read on a brochure that map sw is updated once a year and it's rather expensive

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
molinari said:
Burty, I may be wrong on this but I recall having read on a brochure that map sw is updated once a year and it's rather expensive

Oh

·
Registered
193 Posts
The link I use is as below which seems to be the same place.

http://peugeot.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-PeugeotEMEA-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start

The alert software is reasonable at £26.99 a year that's much better than most other systems. The maps for a complete refresh seem to be about £129-169. These seem to be two DVD's and a Cd with new alerts. Not sure how that will work on the 2008 or 208 as we have no disc drive as standard so guess you will get a USB through the post. These prices seem either on par or in my last case a Landrover Discovery, a heck of a lot cheaper.

You should not have to update your main map software for a couple of years anyway.

Would be nice though if Peugeot did a free in warranty upgrade.

Mac.

Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used Navigon sw on my iPhone. It's powered by the same Navteq map data as in the 2008's navigation system. A full map library of all European countries costs about one third of the price Navteq charges for on-board car navigation systems - not really fair

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For software not associated with a car, if I purchased any software product I would expect software updates to be free for the duration of the maintenance agreement.

Most aftermarket sat navs are available with a lifetime update arrangement and it's likely that would set you back something like £200 for the initial purchase with the lifetime updates.

Peugeot charge £400 for the sat nav, so even allowing for a premium for the integrated nature of the product I think it would be reasonable for all updates to be free during the warranty period.

I also think it's a bit rich having to pay an additional £30 for the alert feature which really should be included in a high end product in the first place.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think we can all wish for utopia and Burty I agree it would be nice. The reality is that a large chunk of buyers would disagree with the alert software and in some countries like France it is illegal. It has to be regularly updated and even the stand alone systems like Garmin charge for this as an addition. Garmin also charge extra at point of purchase for lifetime maps and in reality that is normally a once a year download. With the frequent changes of sat nav model they hope you only do it once if that and then buy a new one. On a stand alone system when you update you update just the stand alone mapping system and maybe some functionality like extra Bluetooth compatibility.On built in systems you normally are paying for additional functionality that has been released for the car.
I have both a six year old Garmin and a built in.I always prefer the built in primarily as I do not have to lock it away and remember to wipe the windscreen so no tea leaf decides to break into my car.
The Garmin, I have never updated and it still gets me to where I am going.
I do not think any Sat Nav is 100% accurate and particularly the app ones on my iPhone. The one in the 2008 I think is the best built in I have had so far, primarily as it puts another mini display in my line of sight whilst allowing extra data on the large screen. Those without sat nav do not have the same middle screen. It is disappointing full post code is not there yet but I know it is being worked on.

For normal software you do indeed expect updates and if we look at something like MS Windows you get the updates to keep it working but you do not get the next release without paying for it. In the case of the 2008's we will get the updates to function correctly but not the next release. So to me that is about the same.

A good debate this one, I think it just comes down to if we want, or need it, we will buy it.

Cheers Mac.

Edited by: Mac2008

1 - 10 of 10 Posts