Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the speakers in my 2008.

I've read earlier threads but can't quite find what I'm looking for. Here are my questions:

• Can I just replace the "main" drivers in both front and back or would I have to replace the front tweeters as well?
  • If no, are there likely to be cross-over problems with installing drivers that aren't compatible with the tweeters?
  • What are the dimensions of the speakers I would need to buy?
  • What speakers would people recommend in the £40-£50 range? Halfords have some good-looking Pioneers in that range so I don't want to spend any more...
As always, grateful for any thoughts...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Search facility worked for me:

https://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/10-main-message-centre/750-music-quality.html

Was the last poster a relation? :D

165mm or 6.5 inches seems to be the consensus for front and rear door speakers.

Weirdly I have 4 of these infinity kappa's in that size with crossovers and tweeters sitting in my garage (along with a slim sub and mono amp) which I'd upgraded in my previous Jag and removed when it was written off. May consider upgrading my speakers and perhaps fitting the sub I have under the front seat

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-42PVjyFHhBb/compare_091ISU165_108K60CSX/Focal-ISU-165-vs-Infinity-Kappa-60csx.html

Pioneers imo are overrated but if that's your budget then go for it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did read that entire thread but it didn't answer all of my questions. Also the hyperlinks took me to gear that is way out of my price range.

Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I also would like to upgrade the speakers, but for me the first step would be to stop the vibration of the door panels. Could anyone give advice?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, I did read that entire thread but it didn't answer all of my questions. Also the hyperlinks took me to gear that is way out of my price range.

Thanks for the info. :)
Can I just replace the "main" drivers in both front and back or would I have to replace the front tweeters as well? YES as long as the same impedance
If no, are there likely to be cross-over problems with installing drivers that aren't compatible with the tweeters? Answered above.
What are the dimensions of the speakers I would need to buy? Answered in that link so no real need to ask. :)
What speakers would people recommend in the £40-£50 range? Halfords have some good-looking Pioneers in that range so I don't want to spend any more... Personally I'd go for a better set of speakers 2nd hand off the Bay of E But if you buy new then Pioneers will be fine.

Appreciate that cars are built to a budget and, as speakers are hidden then the'll skimp in that area IMO

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I also would like to upgrade the speakers, but for me the first step would be to stop the vibration of the door panels. Could anyone give advice?
Sound deadening/reflecting material readily available and the only real way to cut down on door vibe. But if you've never upgraded speakers/sound stage before then you'll not know. Not a lot out there as a reference for the 2008 but the forum link above states that the 208 is effectively the same for stripping the doors. :)

This stuff is well regarded, but may not be relevant to you, as despite being asked to upload your country location you have chosen not to :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173263970054?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=173263970054&targetid=878066732321&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045659&poi=&campaignid=9437741747&mkgroupid=91042918450&rlsatarget=aud-629407025185:pla-878066732321&abcId=1140496&merchantid=138344697&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51LjLmrmwa3wks4sOGOmJ3FjXaUhYitVFpMng1mDVZfLtc-OKw4bs6MaAkhpEALw_wcB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I just replace the "main" drivers in both front and back or would I have to replace the front tweeters as well? YES as long as the same impedance
If no, are there likely to be cross-over problems with installing drivers that aren't compatible with the tweeters? Answered above.
What are the dimensions of the speakers I would need to buy? Answered in that link so no real need to ask. :)
What speakers would people recommend in the £40-£50 range? Halfords have some good-looking Pioneers in that range so I don't want to spend any more... Personally I'd go for a better set of speakers 2nd hand off the Bay of E But if you buy new then Pioneers will be fine.

Appreciate that cars are built to a budget and, as speakers are hidden then the'll skimp in that area IMO
Many thanks - I appreciate that! I've gone for some Alpine SXE 1725 S x4; fitting being done on Monday. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
275 Posts
A guy is fitting me front parking sensors, LED interior lights and the speakers for £240.

It's not "essential" work but he's an auto-electrician whose garage is open for business. All social distancing rules will be applied. :smile:
Labour only rate with you supplying the bits?

Also is the front parking system integrated in any way or a stand-alone system?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Labour only rate with you supplying the bits?

Also is the front parking system integrated in any way or a stand-alone system?
Phew - getting a bit forensic, lol...

• £118 for Parking Sensors (parts AND labour)
  • The speakers and LEDs I supplied myself > £122 for labour
Anyway:

He's done a cracking job:

• The sensors work by a very neatly installed interior switch
  • The LEDs in the footwells look brilliant
  • The speakers have been very professionally installed
BUT:

I am VERY disappointed in the quality of the Alpine speakers - they are no better than the factory ones. What a waste of time and money! The problem (still) is a lack of authority and resonance in the bass - it sounds like a compressed thud. I'm probably going to fit an active, underseat sub-woofer - I had one installed in my last 3 cars and they make a real difference.

Lesson: DON'T think that upgrading to "name brand" speakers will be a panacea for your poor sound. - it won't. :sad:

·
Registered
275 Posts
A real shame, so you've got the disco lights without the sound to match? :D

Amazon had quite a few critical reviews regarding sound quality, and that was from some that paid just £20 for the speakers.

Did your fitter do any sound insulation at the same time?

Let me know how you go with the sub install as will be following that with interest.

I still would love to know if there's a 'sub-out' on my head unit, but no one's mentioned it, if there is I'll do the install myself. If electronic wizardry is required behind the head unit for sub connection I'll be leaving that job to an expert.

Reactions: Noddy 90

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sensational Sub

:smile:Just had the active subwoofer fitted - what a transformation; I'm now a very happy bunny indeed.

Kenwood KSC-SW11, if you're interested. Currently at £89.99 on Amazon - outstanding upgrade for the price.

Fitted for £75 by Les Evans & Sons of Shrewsbury. If you're local to there, I can totally recommend Dave (Les's son) - fantastic, friendly, professional service at a cracking price. Some joker in Wolverhampton quoted me £225

·
Registered
275 Posts
Am having my Kenwood underseat sub installed tomorrow by a mobile fitter, charge is £80, so not too shabby as he comes to me.

As you stated the sub was £89 on Amazon, I purchased for £79 using a £10 coupon, now it's up to £97 so a good time for me to buy

Will report back in a separate thread on the install and sound improvement, will also advise if the head unit has a sub-out to make it easier for future owners looking to do the same.

Am only disappointed that you can't buy a holder for the remote though :(
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am only disappointed that you can't buy a holder for the remote though
I've attached mine to the mini-console I created. :cool: The sound improvement with that sub is STUNNING - my boy (who is a sound engineer) told me to turn the bass down. So I did.

IMG_20200522_191839.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well the install went well up to a point, fitter removed head unit and split off the two front speakers and wired to sub.

He then had problems removing the glovebox for the switched ignition, also problems in locating and connecting a permanent live, so he gave up, didn't charge me anything for the work done regardless of how hard I tried to get him to take at least half of the £80. Said he will speak to a friend with experience with Peugs (as used to work at a main dealer)

Will open up a couple of other threads as can't find anything on-line about these issues.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Noddy, could you ask your installer where he ran the switched live and main live from please?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

Try giving him a ring on 01743 450457. His name's Dave and he's a really friendly bloke. Might be better coming from you because you can describe all the problems your fitter had...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nope, called and spoke to Les, they'll not tell me how to remove the glovebox :(

So will have another go :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts