Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just transferred all my favourite CD albums onto my Micro Flash Drive.

These small 'nano/micro' sticks are fantastic as they are so small and can be left plugged in without being obtrusive. They hold masses of tracks.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9130593.htm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANDISK-8GB-CRUZER-FIT-USB-MEMORY-STICK-FLASH-PEN-DRIVE-TINY-SMALL-BLACK-/110789464898?pt=UK_Computing_FlashDrives_SM&hash=item19cb911342

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGSTON-8GB-DATA-TRAVELER-MICRO-USB-2-0-FLASH-DRIVE-MEMORY-STICK-DTMCK-8GB-NEW-/190839562099?pt=UK_Computing_FlashDrives_SM&hash=item2c6eec9f73

Getting prepared early.

PS: My 4GB Nano/Micro memory stick is 72% full and contains 16 full albums so there's still room for more.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
98 Posts
anyone have some experience with larger USB memory stick? I have tried to plug a 32GB in one of the usb ports, it can play songs when on shuffe but it keeps saying "loading" on the the left part of the media display and never displays a content list. The usb key contains well over 4000 songs in about 300 sub folders

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
256 Posts
molinari said:
anyone have some experience with larger USB memory stick? I have tried to plug a 32GB in one of the usb ports, it can play songs when on shuffe but it keeps saying "loading" on the the left part of the media display and never displays a content list. The usb key contains well over 4000 songs in about 300 sub folders

How long did you leave it plugged in, it may take a while for it to fully load with that amount of data.

-Sam

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molinari, I know that a few threads include something on this issue on the 208 Forum. It can take quite a while (30Mins) and some people have made sure that the bit rate on all the tracks is as per the recommendation in the manual and all the same. Art Work can also give it a problem if the size of the pictures is too large.

Mac

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks a lot guys! The car manual was missing at the time of delivery (the dealer just called to tell that it should arrive tomorrow) so I operated the system by guessing/common sense. My music collection is encoded with a lossless protocol and very high bit rate, I guess it's the problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molinari, pages 240 & 241 cover it. The other thing is to plug in the USB before you turn the car on and unplug it when it is switched off. It seems to upset the unit a lot less that way. Once it has collected the complete play list the next time you turn it on it will be a lot quicker.

Mac.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi,

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the ports are USB 2.0 BUT usually if you buy a 3.0 USB drive it will be backward compatible with the v2.0.

-Sam

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello,

I don't think it would make much of a difference but the drive is likely going to have to be self powered as the larger drives do usually need more powered.

There may also be a size limitation as to what the software on the car will read (again not 100% would need tested).

-Sam

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The manual states:

It will only play audio files with .wma .aac .flac .ogg and .mp3 file extensions and with a bit rate of between 32Kbps and 320Kbps.

It also supports VBR mode. No other type of file ( .mp4 .m3u...) can be played.

WMA files must be of the standard wma 9 type.

The sampling rates supported are 11, 22, 44, and 48KHz.

In order to be read, a USB memory stick must be formatted FAT 16 or FAT 32.

Hope that helps. Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
To answer a couple of questions:

molinari said:
thanks Sam. I also guess the ports only accept memory keys and not usb HDD, am I right on this?

The manual states: Do not connect a hard disk or USB device other than audio players to

the USB port. This may cause damage to your installation.

Also on a general matter of limitations it states:

The playlists accepted on CD, MP3, iPod and USB connection are
types ".m3u" and ".wpl".
The number of fi les recognised is limited to 5 000 in 500 folders on a
maximum of 8 levels.

Also not including too many other files within the USB key should help with the indexation process.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Burty,

Thats referring to connecting an ipod (for example) and a USB storage device at the same time but the car does support USB mass storage devices.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi Sam. I take your point, and agree that the system supports USB mass storage devices but I did take that to mean not to plug a USB HDD into the USB port. (By USB HDD I mean a traditional disc drive like a 'portable' HDD).

It would be an interesting experiment though. I have a few300+GB portable hard discs. I imagine if it worked it could take some time to index.

I have a couple of 30GB USB keys full of music which I used to use plugged into the Parrott in my 207. I expect to use these in the 2008.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello,

In terms of how the system will see these disks they should be the same, they are both mass storage devices.

Of course the larger portable hard drive will need to be powered by the USB and the car may not have the power for that.

I supposed its one of these things you would need to just give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can see I am going to have fun with this! I like to think I am pretty tech savvy but I don't understand half the jargon you lot are bandying around on this thread! I am hoping I will just plug in my iPod and go!

·
Registered
193 Posts
iPod Classic, works well, including artwork. I seem to remember reading elsewhere not to attempt to plug a full blown USB powered Hard Disc Drive into the USB ports as it will attempt to draw too much current. I thought I read it on the 208 Forum but cannot find it now.I do not think I would attempt to put something designed for mains / home computer drive storage into the car ports.

Mac.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts